Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP -- Headaches pre-CPAP and with CPAP
RE: New to CPAP -- Headaches pre-CPAP and with CPAP
If you are buying out of pocket check out Supplier#33. The Resmed Autoset costs about $650 today and that leaves plenty of profit for the supplier. If yours charges $400 more for Resmed than Philips, something is wrong. Feel free to clarify your insurance situation
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2019, 03:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you are buying out of pocket check out Supplier#33. The Resmed Autoset costs about $650 today and that leaves plenty of profit for the supplier. If yours charges $400 more for Resmed than Philips, something is wrong. Feel free to clarify your insurance situation

I am paying all expenses out of pocket. I double checked the Dreamstation supplier; the PR Dreamstation was 499 and the Resmed Autoset for Her is 883, unless I'm overlooking an added feature or something.

Still curious since I haven't returned used equipment before, is that something all suppliers accept? If I don't get the swap through the same supplier are there costs with the return? The website of the supplier I bought the Dreamstation from says they'll match prices of *authorized* sellers.

Thank you for weighing in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see a return policy on the website of the supplier I bought the PR Dreamstation (not one of the suppliers listed here), but I've looked at 1/2 dozen other cpap suppliers' sites from the list on this forum and all of them state that they do not accept used machines unless there is a manufacturing defect. I haven't contacted the one I bought from yet. Planning to query tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
So swapping the Dreamstation out for a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is not going to work out with the supplier I bought the PR Dreamstation from. I will look into buying a used one via the board supplier list in a few weeks when I can afford it (I pay all expenses out of pocket).

Meanwhile, I started taping about a week ago and it has helped. I have had some good mornings without headaches with AHIs below 1.0.

This morning though, bit of a set back with headache. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
What Flex setting are you using? I think it will help to use a higher minimum pressure. Your graphs show quite a bit of flow limitation, and I'm surprised that the breathing pauses were not flagged as apnea. Higher minimum pressure should help to open your airway and make breathing a bit easier. I'd like to see if your results improve at 7 or 8 cm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give that a try.

Flex settings? I'm not sure what that is. I'm sure it's on the board in multiple places. So off I go...

EDITED TO ADD:

OK, found it. A-flex, 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex is a comfort setting and I found 2 was fine for me when I used a Philips machine. I did not like the setting at 3 and found it disrupted my breathing, so was going to suggest a change if you were at 3. You can try alternative settings and see what is most comfortable. I'm pretty sure things will improve with higher minimum pressure. The change from 4 to 6 has positive results, and we just need to elevate towards 8.0 to resolve the remaining obstruction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2019, 08:20 AM)BaconLime Wrote: This morning though, bit of a set back with headache. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You will have setbacks but overall things will improve. I had chronic headaches before CPAP but eventually they went away. It just takes a bit of time. It's different for everyone.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2019, 11:32 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Flex is a comfort setting and I found 2 was fine for me when I used a Philips machine.  I did not like the setting at 3 and found it disrupted my breathing, so was going to suggest a change if you were at 3.  You can try alternative settings and see what is most comfortable.  I'm pretty sure things will improve with higher minimum pressure. The change from 4 to 6 has positive results, and we just need to elevate towards 8.0 to resolve the remaining obstruction.

Thanks for the suggestions; sharing your wisdom. I will give those a try and report back in a few days.

Does A-flex vs C-flex matter? I am curious by nature and eager to learn, however sometimes with the headaches, when the material gets overly technical I find myself easily distracted.

(12-28-2019, 12:13 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You will have setbacks but overall things will improve. I had chronic headaches before CPAP but eventually they went away. It just takes a bit of time. It's different for everyone.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My headaches are improving, which I am super grateful for. The journey won't be a straight line.

Speaking of lines, do the stair-step inhalations (see attachment) have any significance? That's what 90% of my inhalations look like.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is effecting the shape of the waveform. If you didn’t have a leak there they would look normal IMHO.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 489 6 minutes ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 470 2 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 5 120 3 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 213 6 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 157 8 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 300 8 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 91 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.