Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, Hope it Works
New to CPAP, Hope it Works
There doesnt seem to be many boards out there. Doing this for my own reference and anyone who cares to to read/share insight.

Myself:
-29 years old, military
-~142lbs (only stated due to apnea being correlated with size)
-Havent slept well for as long as I can remember (8 years maybe)
-Fall asleep quick and easy. Then wake up, turn over, fall back asleep immediately from middle of the night until 5am (alarm)
-No kicking, no snoring/coughing/choking/gasping

Family:
-My mother started snoring HEAVILY ~50 years of age, ~10 years ago. My father says that she often coughs during the night.
-Her sister, father, and grandfather all snored HEAVILY
-All are heavier set, not large by any means
-None were ever tested for apnea

Spoke with primary care about sleep, they offered a few different drugs. All had more negative than positive results. Received referral for a sleep study, not specifically apnea as I did not consider it a possibility whatsoever. I just wanted to sleep well.

Did an overnight study at a clinic, the results were explained to me in a way that suggests I wake every time my airway is partially obstructed whereas most with apnea have complete obstruction?

Tonight will be my first night with the Air Sense 10 and a Phillips brand "nose pillow".

Ill try to figure out how to access the results from the machine and post them.

Below are the results from the my sleep study, which I still question whether or not even the mildest form of apnea is present but if the CPAP helps, well I wont complain. Seems the forum is stubborn about clickable links and images....

s888.photobucket.com/user/caltech87/media/IMAG0018_zps5ymbygvs.jpg.html

i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac87/caltech87/IMAG0017_zpsmtpgdgsm.jpg

s888.photobucket.com/user/caltech87/media/IMAG0016_zpsoehe8mwg.jpg.html
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP, Hope it Works
According to your sleep study, you have hypopneas, which are events characterized by low, shallow breathing due to a partially blocked or narrow airway. While not as disturbing to sleep as obstructive apneas, in which the airway completely closes, hypopneas are figured into the AHI index because they are associated with arousals that disturb sleep and blood oxygen desaturation events, which are harmful to the body and cause stress.

While you appear to have a very mild case of apnea, there still might be some benefit to xPAP therapy. Try it for awhile and see how you feel, as that is the most important indicator of success.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Links are limited at first to prevent forum spammers.
I was able to look at your report on Photobucket.
(Thank you for redacting your name -- some people forget.)

You are having a few hypoapneas and a few RERAs (Respiratory Effort, Respiratory Arousal.)
By definition, I conclude that you do not have even mild sleep apnea.
Remember, I am not a physician!
You got into delta wave sleep; which we old folk (like me) seldom get to.

You can use ResScan or Sleephead to analyze your SD card.
You can post graphs as attachments as long as they are under 200KB.

After you get a few posts under your belt, you can post links and you can upload Jpegs from the software to Photobucket; and post them inline with the img tag.

Please read the commercial link policy in the forum rules.
You can read about membership levels and their permissions and limitations at:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-explained

Kindest Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You might wish to edit the photos to blank your name and retain anonymity Smile
edit: lol - i found the unedited one by mistake...

All of those hypopnea's but 1 were while on your back. You might want to try the backpack trick to keep from sleeping on your back.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CalTech,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with your own conclusion. You have some hypopnea and RERA that falls below mild obstructive apnea criteria, and is only present in supine (when you sleep on your back) position. I doubt you are a candidate for positive air pressure therapy. Your problem with disrupted sleep may come from respiratory effort arousals, but PAP therapy could be equally disturbing.

I'll be interested to see how you feel after trying this a while. I think you will benefit from participating more in your therapy by downloading Sleepyhead software and seeing your respiratory events, and correlating with how you feel. http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/ Good luck, and welcome.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi CalTech, welcome to Apnea Board.

If your prescribed pressure is 4, please understand that this is too low for most people. If you feel even slightly like you are suffocating because it is a little too hard to breathe in, I would suggest raising the pressure to 5 or whatever feels most comfortable.

Some people prefer to breathe in slowly and low pressure does not bother them. But, personally, I like to breathe in fairly quickly and the higher pressure helps that, so I very much prefer higher pressure than 5 or 6.

Also, I suggest experimenting with EPR, exhalation pressure relief, which makes it easier to exhale. A higher amount of EPR will make it easier to exhale.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum CalTech! Obviously you are suffering from sleep disturbances or you wouldn't have been prescribed therapy. Whether it helps or not remains to be seen.

The other trick to hinder one from sleeping on their back is to sew in some tennis balls onto the back of an old shirt therefore making it uncomfortable enough to stop you from sleeping on your back.

Good luck and keep us posted.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 07:49 PM)DariaVader Wrote: You might wish to edit the photos to blank your name and retain anonymity Smile
edit: lol - i found the unedited one by mistake...

All of those hypopnea's but 1 were while on your back. You might want to try the backpack trick to keep from sleeping on your back.

Guess I missed a page with my name, no problem!

I always fall asleep on my back but move to my stomach a few hours afterward for the remainder of the night. Im not even sure how Id sleep on my stomach with any of the mask types.

(01-20-2016, 01:41 AM)vsheline Wrote: Hi CalTech, welcome to Apnea Board.

If your prescribed pressure is 4, please understand that this is too low for most people.

Ill take a look at the settings, max was at 20 so I imagine it adjusts based on breathing? The clinic also said theyll make adjustments for me if needed but theyd let me know if they do, all data is uploaded to their cloud via a cellular network.

Thank you all for the input and glancing at the results. Again, I never figured I had a problem that would involved CPAP but Im willing to try anything for a good nights rest.

Sleepyhead reports 2 AHI for last night and I only lasted 3 hours. If theres any other data I should look at in particular please let me know. This will take some getting used to and adjustment of settings. I felt the air was on the warm side, almost thick and that really put me off. I wanted to turn over to my stomach about the usual time of night and the nose pillows made this difficult to do while maintaining comfort.

Ill try to get in bed earlier this evening to play with the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the military also. Stick with it, you'll begin to feel a lot better and have more energy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Change to BIPAP vauto in hope for better therapy Dave Water 41 2,942 05-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  what's the best pricing to hope for Resmed 11 Dave W 3 488 03-08-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957
Smile Waiting on CPAP/Looking for adivice + hope kentuckywildcats87 4 592 07-12-2022, 07:52 AM
Last Post: kentuckywildcats87
  Losing hope feeling worse on CPAP than without. Any advice? AFAFAF 43 3,444 11-24-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  The collar works for me! CROWMAN 16 2,109 01-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Last Post: OutandBack
  Mouth taping, What tape works best for you? yankees123 30 4,487 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Last Post: yankees123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.