Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, I think Im better off without it
New to CPAP, I think Im better off without it
32 y/o, 250 lbs. 5'7"
I have never complained about excessive tiredness or anything that suggested sleep apnea, just high blood pressure and my wife complaining about snoring

I've had my cpap for two days and I am like a zombie for the first time in my life due to lack of sleep, instead of helping me this machine is making me sick. Philips Respironics Remstar Plus, pressure 8

I think the issue is that I always breathe through my mouth, my nose is ALWAYS clogged and the air is not getting through the nose. also I wake up with horrible panic attacks having all sort of negative thoughts. I have never experienced this. Also the fact that there is a modem on this machine and I HAVE to use it or the insurance company will charge me gives me a lot of anxiety. I used to sleep fine without having an insurance company watching me and threatening me, how am I supposed to sleep better like this? just tempted to give the thing back and go on with my life. The sleep study should have figure id out that I am a mouth breather shouldn't it? I hate the amount of unnecessary stress I am being subjected to, will talk with my doctor next week, any other suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP, I think Im better off without it
(05-22-2014, 08:54 PM)jocolemann Wrote: 32 y/o, 250 lbs. 5'7"
I have never complained about excessive tiredness or anything that suggested sleep apnea, just high blood pressure and my wife complaining about snoring

I've had my cpap for two days and I am like a zombie for the first time in my life due to lack of sleep, instead of helping me this machine is making me sick. Philips Respironics Remstar Plus, pressure 8

I think the issue is that I always breathe through my mouth, my nose is ALWAYS clogged and the air is not getting through the nose. also I wake up with horrible panic attacks having all sort of negative thoughts. I have never experienced this. Also the fact that there is a modem on this machine and I HAVE to use it or the insurance company will charge me gives me a lot of anxiety. I used to sleep fine without having an insurance company watching me and threatening me, how am I supposed to sleep better like this? just tempted to give the thing back and go on with my life. The sleep study should have figure id out that I am a mouth breather shouldn't it? I hate the amount of unnecessary stress I am being subjected to, will talk with my doctor next week, any other suggestions?

Two days and you're not better yet? Whoever heard of such a thing.

Well I'd say you've a decision to make.

First of all, apparently the docs felt you have sleep apnea. Now, if that's the case, you can live with it for awhile, or you can treat it. But the first thing you have to do is make that decision.

If you decide you are willing to really make this work for you, it can do that. It's just a matter of getting used to the therapy and getting the right pressures and mask in place. To start with, what was the ahi scores from your sleep test? That and the configuration of mask, machine and pressures that were prescribed for you can help us help you.

Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't know I had apnea until my wife insisted I get something done about my snoring. I was able to trial fit a few masks and it was immediately apparent that I was a mouth breather so it was a full face mask for me. It took me a few weeks to actually get back to a good sleep pattern as I was fighting the hose and mask. However, my wife was immediately rewarded with a quiet restful night.

Good luck and I hope you can stick with it!
Post Reply Post Reply
No, you are NOT better off without it.

Presumably you had a sleep study which discovered that you do indead have obstructive sleep apnea?

Many people don't sleep AT ALL with the mask for weeks.

On the other hand, I NEVER felt the immediate problems of sleep apnea: tireness, excessive daytime sleepyness, confusion, memory loss, and such.

Some OF "US", just don't have the day to day symptoms. But our organs and health are STILL SUFFERING.

Snoring disturbs you wife and it would be NICE if that weren't the case but likely this isn't enough to make you want to do therapy.

It sucks that you feel "monitored" but the insurance company but truthfully that is mostly just an EXCUSE.

We are ALL monitored by the insurance company until we get the required compliance.

It's trivial (for most insurance): Do 21 nights of 4 hours plus within a single 30 day period (or something similar) and you are GOLDEN. We all had to do SOMETHING like that for insurance. Just use the mask and it's NOT A DEAL.

Ok, now to your real problem:

Congestion! You can solve that but it may not be trivial.

What have you tried?

1) Flonase (OTC now)
2) Nasal irrigation
3) Decongestants like Sudafed (not ideal but better than not getting treatment)
4) Zirtec and other allergy meds
5) Go see an ENT
6) Nasal sprays (like Nostrilla, probably terrible but again better than not getting treatment)
7) Find the right mask -- perhaps something more than a "nasal only" mask.

It turns out that even a "nasal pillow" mask MAY keep your nose open enough to get treatment (worked for me) but you need to be prepared to GET TREATMENT no matter what it takes.

Someone else will offer sympathy, my deal is SOLUTIONS!

Let us help you.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum jocolemann. Sorry to hear you are feeling discouraged. It takes some time to get used to and it isn't uncommon to feel as you are feeling. I had difficulty in the beginning trying to reach my 4 hours compliance each night. You might try sitting up in the evening with your machine on while watching TV or reading to help your body become accustomed to it and that time will also count toward your compliance hours you need to get in until you are used to it. You can also try different masks. There are a variety available. Keep plugging away at it. Read as much as you can on this forum for any tips and advice. I found the personal success stories helpful and read every post. Ask questions too. Many members share experiences, stories, give advice, and recommend types of masks, settings on machines, and props to help improve therapy.

Remember everyone here has been where you are. There is a lot you can do to help improve your therapy and making it tolerable. You have to want to make it work too. It eventually becomes routine and you don't even think about it. Sleep apnea can get worse with time and the damage it does to your body over time is dangerous.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I just needed a reality check, I'm just cranky due to my newly acquired sleep depraved status.
I think I'm gonna have to go with the full face mask, I don't really like becoming dependent on chemicals to decongest, will talk to my doctor next week to see what we can do
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2014, 08:54 PM)jocolemann Wrote: 32 y/o, 250 lbs. 5'7"

high blood pressure and sleep apnea can lead to heart failure. I've got a friend who's going through that right now...

trust me, the problems you're having getting used to the cpap (they don't just hand those out like candy... most likely you needed it) are WAY better than heart failure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jocolemann,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds like you are having a bit of a rough start, but Don't give up so quickly, you've only been at it for a very short time. CPAP can take some getting used to but, if you stick with it, it does get better and over time, your body will THANK YOU.!.
You might try setting up and wearing your mask and using the machine as you read or watch tv during the evening.
Keep us posted on your progress and feel free to ask as many questions as you need in order to help you understand the therapy.
Best of luck to you with CPAP and do try to relax.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2014, 09:41 PM)jocolemann Wrote: I think I'm gonna have to go with the full face mask, I don't really like becoming dependent on chemicals to decongest, will talk to my doctor next week to see what we can do
Yes, full face mask gonna works better for you as you can breathe through your nose or mouth
When my nose get congested, I find saline sinus rinse (squeezy bottle) and cranking up the humidifier helps

Must-see video for new Sleep Apnea patients - Sleep disordered breathing (SDB)
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._%28SDB%29
Here some tips for new CPAP users http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Remove the water tank from the machine and check the model number at the label bottom of the machine. The model number tells us if the machine report any useful data AHI and leak or not. Model numbers below 460 or 450 are not data capable machines. If 260 or 250, talk to your doctor about writing a new script for data capable machine so he can look up the data and see how the therapy is working

Machines choices wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Post Reply Post Reply
If you really have a REMStar PLUS machine, you were screwed by your DME (CPAP salesman.) Unfortunately, that's very likely. Take out the water tank and check the model number like zonk says.

Some people have been successful at getting their DME to switch for a real data capable CPAP machine. Insurance will usually not allow them to charge extra.

If they'd given you the REMStar Pro model or better, the machine would record data that would tell you whether you have a mask leak, whether you're still having apneas, what type of apnea, and a whole lot of other types of information about what's going on. It's sort of like having a mini sleep test every night.

Your Plus model tracks what time you're using the CPAP machine, and very little other data. It will not detect mask leaks or ongoing apnea. It collects "data," but only enough to ring the cash register on the insurance.

You can even get free software from the web that will allow you to look at your own data.

The results of your overnight sleep study don't tell you what's happening in your own bed, all night long, night vs. night, with different masks, pillows, sleeping positions, sleeping different times of the night, etc. A fully data capable CPAP would let you or your doctor see all this.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself. Many of them will lie and cheat you. Many of them actually believe the misinformation they spread. Strangely enough, their misinformation always seems to be wrong in ways that increase their profits. For instance, many of them will tell you it's not possible or it's illegal to look at your own data.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.