Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Slept With Empty Water Thingee
Slept With Empty Water Thingee
Stupidly forgot to fill it. Used machine all night. No benefit?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Slept With Empty Water Thingee
We've all done this. You got CPAP therapy without added humidity. No problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider
Post Reply Post Reply
And if you were perfectly comfortable all night, you've just simplified your nightly ritual... Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier is a comfort feature, not a treatment feature. If you feel better with it on it's fine to use it, or if you don't notice any difference it's equally fine to turn it off. Either way you are still getting Positive Airway Pressure which is the treatment.

Mine ran out of water last night, but I didn't notice any difference. I suppose if the heating element gets too hot that could damage something but if there's no discolouration I doubt if it's a problem.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Shouldn't be a problem, but you MIGHT have a burn sortof smell when you start up tonight. I found that annoying while taking a nap, so rinse the bin and put about an inch of water in. Dump that water out and refill before going to sleep tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its winter here in Ohio and the condo doesn't have a humidifier. When my CPAP humidifier tank went dry in the middle of the moght, I woke up with such a dry mouth and throat I had to go drink a couple glasses of water.

YMMV.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Nah - As stated by others, it's a comfort feature. I have never found that it added much in the way of comfort. I tend to still fill mine fi I'm home, but I don't turn on the heater. Probably a waste of time and water for me. For passive humidification to be effective, I think you would have to have MUCH more surface area. Heck, I don't even HAVE a humidifier for the trusty S8 Autoset II that I use on the road. And I spent the last two months in Phoenix which is notoriously dry. Heck, the state it's in is named Arid-Zone, uh. No problema whatsoever.

I don't know, but some folks mentioned that the unit might "burn" the bottom of the chamber. I don't think the heating plate gets much over 100 deg F in any case, so I don't think that would be a problem either. I would actually be skeptical of claims of scorching. Keep in mind that the "heated" part of heated humidification is only intended to keep the water temp marginally above room temp so the "hot plate" won't get much warmer than even that. The "heated" feature is not to heat up the air temp so much as it is to increase the relative vapor pressure of the water in the tank so more of the dihydrogen monoxide molecules will jump up into the air.

OMMOHY.
Post Reply Post Reply
I no longer use water, just run it dry with the heater off. Much less work and no discomfort after moving to a FFM.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 97 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 93 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,816 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 676 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.