Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, Issue with Peripheral Edema
New to CPAP, Issue with Peripheral Edema
Hello I'm new to forum, on CPAP for less than one month, came onto forum to research, because I am now presenting with new onset 1-2+ pitting edema (lower ⅓ of lower legs). My BP has always been on the low side, I am 65, and on no meds. Quite distressing. Have not found much of pubmed (saw the 2 articles quoted on this forum - and this seems relevant - "CPAP cause a decrease in cardiac output in controls, and this is thought to occur because of reduced venous return secondary to increased intrathoracic pressure").
I did not really get a sufficient orientation with the CPAP, and want to learn about the basics of the machine and its on my physiology. Where might I go for a basic overview? I don't even know what the abbreviations used here in the forum mean (EPR, AHI, how to determine RAMP or gauge correct humidity levels)..I'm hoping I can correct or at least minimize this side effect by learning how to more efficiently manage the settings. It's difficult to get in to see the doctor - he's a couple hours away and it's hard to get an appointment in timely manner as he's the only one in the region; and then it's for like, 10 minutes.. I do have appt coming up next month but I want to learn how to manage my health by researching this as much as I can.
Thank you for your help in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP, Issue with Peripheral Edema
Click up above on the WIKI. That should explain a lot of things.

For most edema, salt restriction is usually the first thing that they try. Almost all condiments have excessive salt as do many packaged foods. Usually, you need to restrict to 2000 mg daily. Pitting edema is a result, not a cause, so it's hard to know what else to suggest. Do you have diabetes? That alone can cause edema. Anyway, hopefully with more information can come online and help you. WebMD is a great source, but it is more helpful if you know the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another cause of edema can be problems with the kidneys. This is usually detected by increased levels of creatinine in the blood. I think that is a fairly standard blood or urine test, but it may have been missed. My doctor has not related my (relatively minor, I think) edema to my APAP machine use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2016, 06:06 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Click up above on the WIKI. That should explain a lot of things.

For most edema, salt restriction is usually the first thing that they try. Almost all condiments have excessive salt as do many packaged foods. Usually, you need to restrict to 2000 mg daily. Pitting edema is a result, not a cause, so it's hard to know what else to suggest. Do you have diabetes? That alone can cause edema. Anyway, hopefully with more information can come online and help you. WebMD is a great source, but it is more helpful if you know the cause.

Thanks for your reply. No I do not have any coexisting conditions. I am not overweight. I lead a fairly healthy life except for the OSA. My salt intake is not excessive, and has not changed in last 3 weeks anyway.
I do have EMF sensitivity, and as OSA is a more recent common diagnosis (last 20 years), I have a sense that increased EMFs are a related cause of OSA. But that's a different topic - right now trying to sort out this edema issue...
I checked out some of the posts re: this same symptom of peripheral edema accompanying new use of CPAP. I posted on a couple of those threads too and am hoping for input.

In my mind there is a direct correlation, and I have a sense that if I can tweek the CPAP settings this will decrease the renal vascular resistance imposed by the sustained increased artificially imposed thoracic pressure (that results in retention of fluid in the tissues of my feet and lower legs).

I will bring this up when next I see my doctor. Though I recall reading posts saying the doctor/s have not heard of such a correlation..which simply says to me those docs are not listening to patients, as obviously several people on this forum have described exactly that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2016, 07:56 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Another cause of edema can be problems with the kidneys. This is usually detected by increased levels of creatinine in the blood. I think that is a fairly standard blood or urine test, but it may have been missed. My doctor has not related my (relatively minor, I think) edema to my APAP machine use.

I will request a kidney function screen at my next visit. Usually these tests have range of normal and only are noteworthy if major deviation from the norm. But will check, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The edema I have in my lower legs was a result of flea bite-itis (No, not phlebitis!). I rescued a stray cat. The car became infested with fleas. The fleas bit my legs to the point they were doubled in diameter. Steroids to treat. And a year later, peripheral venous insufficiency was diagnosed. I wear compression knee highs to help prevent seepage into surrounding tissues and to keep the blood moving back up to the heart.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 8 12 minutes ago
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 101 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 659 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 184 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.