Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP & Needing Support
Gross 
New to CPAP & Needing Support
Hello All, I'm a new CPAP user. I got my ResMed Airsense 10 about 3 weeks ago. I had it for 2 nights, then took it with me to a 4 night conference, then used it for 3 nights upon arriving home. The longest I ever kept it on was 3 hours! I have the F&S Simplus mask that goes over nose and mouth and it always leaks. My machine starts at 6 and is set for a 40 min ramp up to 15. Everything is good for the first hour, mostly and I feel like I have a really good sleep... but once it's at the full 15 pressure, the mask starts..ummm flatulating (that's what it sounds like, honest!) around my jaw and leaks around my eyes. That's often when I wake up, shift around and try to get it re-seated. Usually I can get it to settle if I turn on my side and kind of held it in place with my pillow. Then I can sleep another 1 - 2 hours before it started leaking again and I ripped it off in frustration. Or until our daughter climbs in bed with us and I take it off.

To cap this off, last week I developed the worst ear infection & sinus infection I'd ever had, plus I caught my daughter's pink eye. I kept using the CPAP for a night, but the pressure in my ear and sinuses got worse so my Dr. said leave it off until I cleared up. I keep getting automated calls from the home care center about not meeting compliance with 4 hours a night and I am not sleeping as well since I'm back to snoring.

Please tell me things get better!! I did stop by my supplier today and got a nasal mask to try (Swift Nano?) so we'll see how that goes. I'm over the plague, or whatever I had, for the most part except a persistently clogged ear. I'm hoping the CPAP isn't going to be a problem with sinus and ear issues.

Sorry for the whine... tl;dr... needing words of encouragement as I adjust to therapy. Thanks!Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP & Needing Support
I think you'll do better with the Swift nano. I've never tried a full face mask, but logically it makes sense to me that the longer the contact perimeter between mask and face, the greater the opportunity for leaks. At some point you might want to try nasal pillows, which are smaller still.

You will get used to it. You'll find ways to position yourself in sleep that will let the mask stay in place, and you'll be glad you stuck it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board!

I suggest you indicate which model of the AirSense 10 you have, it will help with any questions regarding it or your therapy. The models are CPAP, ELITE, AUTOSET and AUTOSET FOR HER

Frank
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board allynpsych,
Are you using a straight pressure Cpap or an auto Cpap?
You were probably titrated at 15, but that is a high pressure for a new person to get used to.
Possibly call your doctor and see if you can get it lowered to 12 or 13 untill you can adjust.

It would be better if you had an auto adjusting machine so that you wouldn't be at that high pressure all night.

While you are trying out a new mask, it may help you to move your machine out to your living room and use mask and Cpap while watching TV or reading. You would be surprised how fast an hour goes by and may help meeting compliance. Remove water from humidifier before moving machine. Smile
Finding the right mask is the hardest part of therapy. If the nasal mask doesn't work out, try a nasal pillow mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AirFit P10 nasal pillow works well for many folks. It's pretty comfortable.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2016, 11:30 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: Welcome to the board!

I suggest you indicate which model of the AirSense 10 you have, it will help with any questions regarding it or your therapy. The models are CPAP, ELITE, AUTOSET and AUTOSET FOR HER

Frank

I have the AirSense 10 Autoset, sorry... but I have it set for max humidity, and a 40 minute ramp.
(04-08-2016, 11:44 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Welcome to Apnea Board allynpsych,
Are you using a straight pressure Cpap or an auto Cpap?
You were probably titrated at 15, but that is a high pressure for a new person to get used to.
Possibly call your doctor and see if you can get it lowered to 12 or 13 untill you can adjust.

It would be better if you had an auto adjusting machine so that you wouldn't be at that high pressure all night.

While you are trying out a new mask, it may help you to move your machine out to your living room and use mask and Cpap while watching TV or reading. You would be surprised how fast an hour goes by and may help meeting compliance. Remove water from humidifier before moving machine. Smile
Finding the right mask is the hardest part of therapy. If the nasal mask doesn't work out, try a nasal pillow mask.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it's a strait CPAP, starts at 6 then slowly ramps up to 15 after 40 minutes. I had the sleep study done when my nose was a bit stuffy so I htink that might be why I had a high pressure. I never spoke with a "sleep doctor" the report was just sent to my GP and to the HomeCare center... would my GP be the one to lower the pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2016, 12:35 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: AirFit P10 nasal pillow works well for many folks. It's pretty comfortable.

The sleep tech at the HomeCare center said that many people feel like the pressure feels higher with the nasal masks because it's more direct... so I'm a little worried how it will feel... but it will hopefully be more comfortable to wake up to having my mouth blasted open and my cheeks painfully extended... As far as I know I don't sleep with my mouth open, so I don't know yet if I'll need a chin strap... so many complications to just getting a good nights sleep!! I feel like if I just lost 40 pounds this would all go away. The whole thing is frustrating and makes me anxious, especially dealing with the sinus and ear congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Request the Clinicians manual for your Cpap: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

This will show you how to get into the providers menu to see what your machine is set at.

If your have the AutoSet, is it set with a range of 6 to 15, or is the machine set in Cpap mode with a ramp start of 6 up to 15?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:If your have the AutoSet, is it set with a range of 6 to 15, or is the machine set in Cpap mode with a ramp start of 6 up to 15?

Set in ramp mode so that it starts at 6 and ramps to 15. I don't know what my pressure range is then I guess... I just know that the max in the prescription is 15 and the HomeCare people said only the doctor can order a change in that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call your doctor and ask for a copy of the perscription. You should have that for your own records.
Then explain the problems you are having, and ask his/her opinion on lowering pressure a bit untill you adapt to therapy.

In the meantime, you may want to download the SleepyHead software, and start looking at your data so you will be better informed. http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

After a week or two, you can upload some screenshots here, and we can help and advise you.

As time goes on or after you meet compliance, you will want to know how to change your own pressure settings.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,339 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 167 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 743 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 412 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 681 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.