Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moderate UARS about to start treatment
RE: Moderate UARS about to start treatment
Apneaboard is all about patient empowerment. You have control...best wishes and good luck!

Keep us posted.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I just met with the DME... prices are quite high. A one month trial is $120 (deductible from the purchase price of the machine) + the cost of the mask (about $300). The price of their cheapest CPAP was $1650. They wouldn't consider a bi-level as my prescription specifically says CPAP.

Needless to say I told them I'd think about it. I will most likely purchase online and see if it wouldn't be possible to have the adjustments done in the public sector since I have no idea where to start with all that and the fitting of a mask. I know there might be a wait list, but we're also trying to conceive and I was told it would be important to have and be comfortable with the CPAP prior to getting pregnant, and at the latest by the end of the first trimester... so, that might accelerate wait times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geniale, you haven't indicated which province you live in. Each one seems to handle CPAP devices differently. Perhaps we have someone here more familiar with your province's policies, who could give you more advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2016, 12:35 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Geniale, you haven't indicated which province you live in. Each one seems to handle CPAP devices differently. Perhaps we have someone here more familiar with your province's policies, who could give you more advice.

I am in Quebec.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Genial! Not sure what type of machine you will end up deciding what to get. But I don't think you should have to pay for your rental or shall I call it a trial with a CPAP machine. They should loan it to you until you decide what is best for you. Preferably you choose where you'd like to buy from and get the loaner machine there.

Are you by any chance from Ontario? Because if so, there is a thread under the Commercial Posts section of the forum with vendors who are reasonable in the GTA and I'm sure they ship out also-possibly out of province. Here's the link:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Suppliers

Near the end of the thread is a discussion about CPAP Clinic. Might be of interest to you.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Geniale,

I'm a severe UARS diagnosis (>50 events / hr) that barely fit the "standard" mild OSA definition (AHI = 6). A BiPAP will give you a better "spread" in inhalation vs. exhalation pressure and may be more comfortable, but getting the right pressure and a comfortable mask will likely be more important. I have a Resmed Autoset machine that only allows a difference of 3 between the inhalation pressure and exhalation pressure...not as nice, but I find you can adapt. My doc isn't about to let me change the machine, though...with the right pressure and mask, I've got the AHI down to practically 0.

As for the asthma question....no, as someone with both UARS and asthma, it doesn't seem to be related. That said, though, I do find that humidification is fairly important....if the airways get dried out due to therapy (i.e. run out of water, humidity settings too low), I do find I am a little more wheezy the next day.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone! After some new development, I'm feeling much more optimistic and encouraged now!

I managed to get more info from a PSG tech my husband knows. How it works is they usually give a script for the pressure and type of machine, but for the rest, you have to go to a DME. However, one of her colleagues works 1 day a week for one and she says if you go in with your machine and your mask, they'll charge $75 for the instruction and set-up. Alternatively, you can go in with your machine and purchase the mask from them and they will do it for free. So, that seems like a very interesting alternative! Say I purchase the machine from Supplier #2 and the mask from them (if I can get an appointment with this tech, who my husband knows, there's a better chance that she'll be honest), I can be properly fitted and know what type/size mask is best suited for me, since this is my first time, I think if would be a good idea, even if it will be a little more expensive than online. All that will probably cost about 40% of what VitalAire was charging.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 75 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 962 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.