Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, Some Questions/Concerns
New to CPAP, Some Questions/Concerns
Hi all, 

I tried searching through the forums before making a post but I'm kinda new and I apologize if I missed the answer. Someone from Reddit suggested I ask here as it is more active than there. I'm new to all this and it's a little scary that I'm having some problems getting used to therapy.

I am using a Resmed Airsense 11, it's been about two weeks now and I've tried several masks. I started with the Philips DreamWear but the little slit bothered me so I tried other masks but I did not like them. Currently, I am using the Philips DreamWisp but I plan on going back to the DreamWear. My pressure is set to auto from like 6-20 I think but the NP at the sleep center said it looks like it caps out at about 10. The EPR is on and I use the auto ramp feature.

For lack of better phrasing, I'll just repost my question here:

I've been using my CPAP machine for about two weeks now and I've noticed some worrying symptoms and was wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has experienced it.

I have been to my PCP, I've been to the urgent care, I've called the sleep center and talked to a nurse practitioner, and I have an appointment with a cardiologist this Friday. I had an EKG and an Echocardiogram back in January which was normal so no one seems very worried about me and I've been suggested to take Nexium and Gas-x. The urgent care did an X-ray of my chest and didn't see anything unusual and the machine settings have also been adjusted "a hair" whatever that means according to the NP but I am still going through this.

I've been having chest discomfort and pain towards the middle where my sternum is between my breasts and the top left of my chest towards my collarbone but it comes and goes. I've also been having weird episodes of it feeling like I can't get enough air or like I have too much air and can't get any more when I'm sitting or laying and trying to breathe. It all feels very tight and I've also noticed more burping than I'm used to but it relieves it only a little. I've also noticed I feel a little off sometimes and also there's a fluttery feeling in my chest that wasn't there before starting the CPAP.

The Gas-X hasn't been working and I need to take the Nexium for at least 7 days they said to see if it works. I'm just curious to know if anyone else has been through this.

Thank you in advance and sorry for bothering you all! <3
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP, Some Questions/Concerns
Welcome to the forum and welcome to cpap. You've come to the right place.

There are so many people here with so much knowledge. I don't have their skill. But I've done this a long long time.

My biggest improvement in my health came when I asked for help here. They'll help you a lot.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, thank you!

Yes, I'm hoping someone here might have experienced something similar to what I'm going through.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
The burping is indicating air in the stomach or aerophagia. The question is to what settings to temporarily lower your pressure to. Then use that pressure for a bit then slowly increase back to an optimized pressure.

One thing that is different here than on Reddit is that we like to see the data so we can focus specifically on you and not general guidelines like above. The main source for this data is OSCAR so please download OSCAR onto your PC or laptop, place an SD card in overnight and post your daily charts. Use F12 to take the screenshot. Itay take more than one modification.

Do you know how to change your pressures?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2022, 05:38 AM)Gideon Wrote: Welcome to the forum.
The burping is indicating air in the stomach or aerophagia. The question is to what settings to temporarily lower your pressure to. Then use that pressure for a bit then slowly increase back to an optimized pressure.

One thing that is different here than on Reddit is that we like to see the data so we can focus specifically on you and not general guidelines like above.  The main source for this data is OSCAR so please download OSCAR onto your PC or laptop, place an SD card in overnight and post your daily charts.  Use F12 to take the screenshot.  Itay take more than one modification.

I know how to get into the clinician menu but that's about it. I purchased and SD card and will be downloading OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
When it comes to chest pain and breathing, I am sensitive to causal events as I have heart arrhythmias that could lead to a fatal event. The Holter monitor was useless and the Zio Patch picked up the problem that lead to the implant of a Pacemaker/Defibrillator.

Did anyone suggest a 24-hour Holter Monitor study or the more preferable ZioPartch check for intermittent heart irregularities like atrial fibrillation or flutter?

The ZIO® Patch is a new form of ambulatory cardiac monitoring described as a wearable patch. The ZIO Patch is unique compared to traditional Holter monitors as the monitoring device has no leads, no wires, and no batteries. The ZIO Patch weighs just a few ounces which is a peel and stick device that is worn for an extended monitoring period of up to 14 days. Even though the device is worn for a longer duration than a Holter monitor, the ZIO Patch is said to be preferred by nearly 80% of patients as compared to a traditional 24 Holter monitor.

I would recommend the Zio Patch as it is far superior in detecting transient events over a 14-day period. And you mail it back after the test.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2022, 09:29 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: When it comes to chest pain and breathing, I am sensitive to causal events as I have heart arrhythmias that could lead to a fatal event. The Holter monitor was useless and the Zio Patch picked up the problem that lead to the implant of a Pacemaker/Defibrillator.

Did anyone suggest a 24-hour Holter Monitor study or the more preferable ZioPartch check for intermittent heart irregularities like atrial fibrillation or flutter?

The ZIO® Patch is a new form of ambulatory cardiac monitoring described as a wearable patch. The ZIO Patch is unique compared to traditional Holter monitors as the monitoring device has no leads, no wires, and no batteries.  The ZIO Patch weighs just a few ounces which is a peel and stick device that is worn for an extended monitoring period of up to 14 days. Even though the device is worn for a longer duration than a Holter monitor, the ZIO Patch is said to be preferred by nearly 80% of patients as compared to a traditional 24 Holter monitor.

I would recommend the Zio Patch as it is far superior in detecting transient events over a 14-day period. And you mail it back after the test.

Best of luck.

I've only had an EKG and an Echocardiogram. My doctor suggested that I ask them for a stress test when I go again but the doctor kinda does what he wants, I'll try to ask them though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2022, 09:41 PM)CPAPrincess Wrote: I've only had an EKG and an Echocardiogram. My doctor suggested that I ask them for a stress test when I go again but the doctor kinda does what he wants, I'll try to ask them though.

Too bad you weren't able to request a stress echo that combines tests and is more probative than a resting echo. 

The problem with both the EKG and echo is they do not detect transient events only a summary of heart function during the testing period. The echo is used for blockages and heart functioning -- but does nothing when it comes to transient arrhythmias. 

Might I suggest that you take charge of your health and tell the doctor you want to "rule out" (that's the preferred way of getting cooperation) transient arrhythmia events? If your doctor is unwilling or is a PCP, find another competent cardiologist or, better yet, an electrophysiologist who deals with electrical issues in the heart.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2022, 05:38 AM)Gideon Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

One thing that is different here than on Reddit is that we like to see the data so we can focus specifically on you and not general guidelines like above.  The main source for this data is OSCAR so please download OSCAR onto your PC or laptop, place an SD card in overnight and post your daily charts.  Use F12 to take the screenshot.  Itay take more than one modification.

Okay I have the charts I think?

(04-18-2022, 08:51 PM)CPAPrincess Wrote: Okay I have the charts I think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limits are high, not much we can do with them on this machine but your aerophagia comes first.

Set min to 7, this is the minimum you should be at with EPR=3 which you want for both the flow limits and your aerophagia.
Set Max pressure=9. This is to limit your aerophagia.

At these low pressures you should consider turning the ramp off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 457 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.