Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP Still Waking Up
New to CPAP Still Waking Up
I have been on CPAP for about three weeks and am having about the same problems as in the past. This is mainly waking up after about four hours, taking three hours to get back to sleep, and then getting what little sleep I can before having to get up.

I filled but haven't taken Silenor (Doxepin) 6mg. medicine yet. Not eager to take medicine but might try. My mask seems to work ok. I do take it off sometimes but for the most part, I keep it on and use it. I almost feel more tired after using the mask properly then before or on nights when I don't use it for 1/2 the night. Just looking for some insight. Also wondering if the medicine will help, or if maybe I have a problem other than OSA, although my case is severe.

I have been back to the doctor once, so please don't think that I'm replacing professional advice for message boards. Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP Still Waking Up
This seems to be a common complaint. I was fortunate in that I was able to sleep through the night from the get-go, but I am interested to hear what others think is the cause of this.

Are you using a ramp function, or just starting out at 7 cmH2O? BTW, is it a straight CPAP machine or is there an upper pressure limit as well?

Hopefully after some adjustment to therapy you'll be signing on here again as 'AsleepAllNight' Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi UpAllNight,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes it takes a while for your body to get used to this new way of sleepingthe with a mask and machine. Don't give up just yet, you've only been at it for three weeks.
What you might try is to set up during the evening under the mask and machine while you read or watch tv to help your body get used to it before you sleep.
I also wanted to say that the mask is the hardest part of the therapy so don't be shy about trying as many different types of masks 'til you find the right one that works for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, just stick with it and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 11:29 AM)Paptillian Wrote: This seems to be a common complaint. I was fortunate in that I was able to sleep through the night from the get-go, but I am interested to hear what others think is the cause of this.

Are you using a ramp function, or just starting out at 7 cmH2O? BTW, is it a straight CPAP machine or is there an upper pressure limit as well?

Hopefully after some adjustment to therapy you'll be signing on here again as 'AsleepAllNight' Big Grin

I just start at 7. It's a real basic system that is just set at 7 and then I'm supposed to have a technician change it if necessary. Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 11:22 AM)UpAllNight Wrote: I have been on CPAP for about three weeks and am having about the same problems as in the past. This is mainly waking up after about four hours, taking three hours to get back to sleep, and then getting what little sleep I can before having to get up.

I had the same problem. Our bodies are so well adapted to sleep apnea that we continue the same pattern of behavior even after CPAP therapy removes the apneas that originally caused the behavior.

Just stick with it and your body will eventually adapt.

Just as a way of encouraging yourself, keep in mind that without CPAP therapy your body's cardiovascular system is being subjected to a torture that will eventually, if allowed to continue, kill or seriously injure you with a heart attack or stroke.

Quote:Also wondering if the medicine will help, or if maybe I have a problem other than OSA, although my case is severe.

I have been back to the doctor once, so please don't think that I'm replacing professional advice for message boards. Thanks in advance.

Going back to the doctor is key to being successful. The medicine, taken while under the care of a competent physician, is far more likely to help you than harm you.

My advice, for whatever it's worth, is to take the medicine. It will help you sleep and speed along the adaptation process. Eventually you will get to the point where you were years ago in that when you wake up and see that it's still the middle of the night you'll be glad that you have more time to sleep instead of being worried that you won't be able to fall back asleep. The human mind is capable of some strange behavior, but it will eventually adapt to circumstances and cooperate.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
UpAllNight, you are not alone. I am now at 17 days and counting. My doctor gave me a prescription for ambien to help me get used to CPAP. Without it, I am on the same sleep schedule as you. With it, I get six hours. I worry, however, about the habit-forming aspects, so I am taking time off. What keeps me going is that one blissful night I got when I was undergoing my CPAP titration.

For what its worth, I would try the doxepin.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 11:22 AM)UpAllNight Wrote: I have been on CPAP for about three weeks and am having about the same problems as in the past. This is mainly waking up after about four hours, taking three hours to get back to sleep, and then getting what little sleep I can before having to get up.

I filled but haven't taken Silenor (Doxepin) 6mg. medicine yet. Not eager to take medicine but might try. My mask seems to work ok. I do take it off sometimes but for the most part, I keep it on and use it. I almost feel more tired after using the mask properly then before or on nights when I don't use it for 1/2 the night. Just looking for some insight. Also wondering if the medicine will help, or if maybe I have a problem other than OSA, although my case is severe.

Same story for me. I wake up after 3-4 hours and stay up cruising the Internet for about an hour and go back to sleep.
I've been on CPAP for 6 weeks and the first 4 weeks was up every night.
Then beginning around week four it was up 3 nights, sleep straight through the fourth. Rinse and repeat.
I suspect I'm slowly getting used to it and you probably just need more time.
By the way, that's all happening with 5 mg of Ambien nightly.

You CPAP isn't data capable. If you get an opportunity to step up, do so. Having the overnight data to see is invaluable. You can see the apneas, snoring and maybe what's waking you in the waveforms.

Good luck!
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with all you guys too. Have used the machine for 12 straight nights now - I get an average of 4 to 5 hours sleep then wake etc. but I was prepared for that to be the case. Am not taking any sleeping agent nor do I intend to. Will just give it time. The 4 hours is a huge increase on any sleep block for me. Used to wake up at least 4 times a night, now down to just the one, max. two most nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
Four weeks in myself and I often wake up after three or four hours. Having said that, I fall back asleep pretty easily so I'm not too bothered by it. I'm hoping as others have indicated that in time that will lessen.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm at the point now where I don't care anymore if I wake up in the middle of the night. I now find it easy to get back to sleep. I understand that it happens to everyone, it's just that some people don't have a memory of it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 111 6 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 291 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.