Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, Symtoms getting worse
New to CPAP, Symtoms getting worse
I was recently diagnosed with OSA and got my first CPAP (ResMed S9) last week. Prior to CPAP, my AHI was 131. Since using it, my AHI is now around 8 with a pressure of 10, however I'm finding myself more groggy in the morning and my morning headaches are much much worse. I tried calling my doctor about it, but the receptionist said she can't legally talk to me about it over the phone because things are worse. The next available appointment is 2 weeks from now. In the meantime, I'm suppose to do what "I feel comfortable with", whether that be using CPAP or not. I don't want to stop treatment because my AHI is so high, but I also don't want to have headaches all day either. Any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP, Symtoms getting worse
That sounds like bull crap. That's like calling your doc to say the blood pressure meds aren't working. No doc would ever have staff say "I can't talk to you, no matter how bad you feel. two weeks you can see the doc". They'd instead say "how high is it? do you feel ill? let me ask the doctor how soon he/she wants to see you." Or, better yet, send the phone call to the nurse.

So, first off, I don't like your sleep doc!

That off my chest, you've been using it a week? I'd say give it a little more time.

Did you have headaches prior to starting CPAP? If not, are they more brain headaches or sinus headaches?

Were you groggy before using it? If not, are you groggy because you slept so deeply?

Are you sleeping better but waking up feeling like crap?

With an AHI of that high, there's not going to be a quick fix. It will take time. But it does for everyone. Keep using the machine. An AHI of 8 is great compared to what it was!

Also, consider calling and asking to speak with either a nurse or the doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 08:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That sounds like bull crap. That's like calling your doc to say the blood pressure meds aren't working. No doc would ever have staff say "I can't talk to you, no matter how bad you feel. two weeks you can see the doc". They'd instead say "how high is it? do you feel ill? let me ask the doctor how soon he/she wants to see you." Or, better yet, send the phone call to the nurse.

So, first off, I don't like your sleep doc!

That off my chest, you've been using it a week? I'd say give it a little more time.

Did you have headaches prior to starting CPAP? If not, are they more brain headaches or sinus headaches?

Were you groggy before using it? If not, are you groggy because you slept so deeply?

Are you sleeping better but waking up feeling like crap?

With an AHI of that high, there's not going to be a quick fix. It will take time. But it does for everyone. Keep using the machine. An AHI of 8 is great compared to what it was!

Also, consider calling and asking to speak with either a nurse or the doctor.

First off, I didn't talk to the doc, I talked to the receptionist. I'm going to try again tomorrow which will be attempt #3. I've had morning headaches for my entire adult life, but now they are much worse than before. Prior to CPAP, I usually woke up very congested; with it, I'm not congested at all. The pain from the headaches is around my temples. I've always woken up groggy, now its just worse. I don't know if I'm sleeping any "better" but I do know that I'm sleeping less; 6-7hrs compared to normally 8hrs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, but the receptionist works for the sleep doc. He/she sets the office atmosphere. Someone told that receptionist to not talk to patients who dare to call back and say treatment isn't working. Which is a bad sign for a business where 50% or more of CPAP users have problems from the beginning. But me complaining about your doc is not your problem, it is mine. :grin:

You have only been using it a week. It takes time for everything to settle down. You have really really bad sleep apnea. Your adjustment is going to be tough.

While headaches with sleep apnea as high as yours are not a surprise, it's not good the headaches are getting worse. Do you have access to a blood pressure monitor? Do you have problems with blood pressure?

When you call again, insist on speaking to a nurse.

Stick with this. It will take time but it is worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You certainly don't want the receptionist talking to you about your CPAP, ask for the nurse and make the next appointment available. A lot of us have a sleep deficit to make up and may feel worse before we feel better. Hang in there. Does anything help your headaches- tylenol or advil or something? I know a lot of people don't want to take medicine.I sure hope you get feeling better soon. Also your humidity may need to be adjusted higher lower. Experiment. Good luck, keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
If nothing else, maybe get the opinion of your standard doctor. He/She should at least give you an idea on if you should continue use for the next two weeks until you see the sleep doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree someone has told that receptionist to make patients stick to the schedule and not bug them otherwise. I agree that doesn't sound like a very patient-oriented office. I'd be wondering if I could continue expecting to get good help from them. Just my impression. DJ
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,994 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.