Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP Therapy
Cool 
New to CPAP Therapy
Hello All, 
    Like the subject line says, new to CPAP therapy since mid-March but I guess I've been doing an unofficial study.  Last year I was told I have herniated disk C4-C7 causing my pain through my neck and shoulder region (left side).  After PT and neck traction things started getting better, but still had pain at night so my doc prescribed a Miami J collar for sleeping.  It helped but uncomfortable because I'm not a back sleeper.  Then the pain in the right shoulder started, doc appts, PT, more doc appts....Then my family practice doc talked me in to doing a sleep study and that is when I learned I have sever sleep apnea AHI 33 and started CPAP therapy.  In a sense it was a blessing, sleep much better more energy....but I continued to wear the collar to but now able to sleep on my back.  My Dreammapper reported an AHI of 0.2-2.0 for about 4-5weeks.  Then I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, I continued with the CPAP but wasn't wearing the collar.  Guess because it was hard to put on and two I looked like I was in a bad accident and belonged in a hosp ICU.  I noticed my AHI jumped to 3.0-5.0 and even some 7's.
Well, I'm still in a shoulder immobilizer as needed and when I sleep, and started wearing the Miami J again and Dreammapper is showing AHI 0.2-2.0 but normally in the 1's.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP Therapy
Many of us here have discovered that using a "soft" cervical collar keeps our neck aligned at night.  It also helps to keep your jaw/mouth from dropping open, and eliminates mouth breathing.

If you tend to tuck your chin to your chest, a "soft" collar will help.

These are reasonably priced and various sizes are available on Amazon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply/info.  I'm retire USAF and still living in Japan working on the base I retired from.  The ortho lab tried to give me a soft (firm) collar but it was the wrong size so the tech gave me the Miami J and an Aspen with adjustable chin piece.  I find the Miami J more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surprised 
New to CPAP Therapy
Hi 

Just joined yesterday

Perhaps an old and regular question, last night my ResMed showed that I had excessive mask leakage, but my AHI reading was 1.4 could that low AHI be due to my NasalPillows mask leakage?

Thanks for your help

Fish from Canada
Post Reply Post Reply
Large leaks prevent or hinder the CPAP from detecting any events. It could mean that you had a good night or you just hid the stuff from the machine. How do you feel?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hansonts,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are noticing improvement
with CPAP therapy. Hang in there for more responses to your post, and good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 26 972 7 hours ago
Last Post: BKeeper
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 21 602 10 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 61 2,257 Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  Therapy using Lumis 150 ST StuartC 135 7,146 Yesterday, 04:26 AM
Last Post: StuartC
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 4 82 03-17-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 203 8,290 03-17-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 13 699 03-16-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: marcinpiskala

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.