Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP - advice on my charts
Surprised 
New to CPAP - advice on my charts
I am new to CPAP and have been struggling mightily. I'm hopeful that my therapy charts may be helpful in generating some advice from the CPAP whisperers. During my first 2 weeks of compliance, I actually woke up feeling worse than before, fighting with my mask all night long. Thank you in advance for any guidance or help you can provide - I really appreciate it!!

PS - I uploaded 3 different days - please let me know if I did anything wrong. Thank you.

[attachment=37817]
[attachment=37818]
[attachment=37819]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP - advice on my charts
Welcome to the forum Pezhead. Your pressure looks fine at 10-13, but you should increase your EPR from 2 to 3 to treat the flow limitations which are causing your pressure to rise to the maximum setting. The Airsense 10 sees flow limitation as an indication of obstruction and raises pressure to prevent apnea. In your case the flow limitation is fairly consistent and just needs more pressure support (difference between inhale and exhale pressures). In addition you have a classic sign of chin-tucking or what we often refer to as positional apnea. Having your chin-tuck causes your airway to become blocked partially or fully due to either soft tissue compression or airway obstruction. You may be able to treat this by reducing the height and firmness of pillows or you may need a soft cervical collar. Take a look at these two wiki articles. This problem is very common and relatively easy to fix.
Positional apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board,

First issue is you're showing Positional Apnea, the clusters of events. Consider reading up on this and using the soft cervical collar to remedy. This Positional issue is your chin pointing downward towards your chest and kinking your airway.

Secondary, your Ramp is likely a disturbance. You're way down at air starvation levels at 4 then it jumps to 10. Every beginning sleep cycle, your Ramp will do its thing, which is really seeming to be a detraction than a help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much! I will give both of those suggestions a try. Much appreciated!

(12-09-2021, 10:56 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome to the Apnea Board,

First issue is you're showing Positional Apnea, the clusters of events. Consider reading up on this and using the soft cervical collar to remedy. This Positional issue is your chin pointing downward towards your chest and kinking your airway.

Secondary, your Ramp is likely a disturbance. You're way down at air starvation levels at 4 then it jumps to 10. Every beginning sleep cycle, your Ramp will do its thing, which is really seeming to be a detraction than a help.

Dave, thanks for the reply and advice! I will read up on Positional Apnea and probably try a collar. Based on the charts, do you think fixing that will have a major positive impact? Not sure how much this is affecting my results at the moment.

I've heard that auto ramp can be more of a problem than a help. I originally turned it on because the immediate high pressure was uncomfortable but I think I may be better adjusted now. Do you recommend I turn off auto ramp completely and see how that works?
Post Reply Post Reply
In general, during the ramp period, events are neither recorded nor treated, so if you don't need it, it's better not to use use.

OTOH, if your minimum pressure is high enough to bother you, and prevent sleep, then using the ramp to set a lower, more comfortable pressure will allow you to fall asleep before the minimum pressure starts. At that point, using the Auto setting will minimise the time before you reach the minimum pressure, but not increase the pressure until you are sleeping.

Just my opinion, after experimenting over the past five years.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,849 1 hour ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 110 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.