Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP and EXHAUSTED
New to CPAP and EXHAUSTED
Hi. I am brand new to this forum. I am a 48 year old male diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Before CPAP my first sleep test indicated that I was at a 68% oxygen level and was getting 0% State 3 Deep Sleep and only 15% Stage 4 Deep REM sleep with 101 arousals an hour. My spouse, friends, family and even my co-workers have been complaining about my snoring for the past twenty years.

I have had a CPAP machine for only four nights. I have already adjusted to the mask and machine with no problems. Last night I even logged 8.5 hours with the device.

My problem is that I am completely exhausted during the day. The last two days it has taken me one to two hours to even get out of bed in the morning. I can't functiopn at work. I feel comatose all day long. I am falling asleep at my desk and at traffic lights. It's ten times worse than when I started with the CPAP just a few nights ago.

Again, I have no issues with the mask or the machine and it's not depression. But at this point I am completely useless to my family and co-workers. It is complete exhaustion and total fuzzyheadedness. I intend to see my way through this treatment but any help, input, guidance, advice, support or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP and EXHAUSTED
It could be that your body is just catching up. You are finally getting good sleep and your body and brain are just having too much fun sleeping. It is not uncommon. Google "Sleep Debt" to find out more about this. It is an interesting concept. While we truly cannot "catch up on our sleep" we can catch up on the damage that was done from the lack of sleep.

You've just started so there's going to be changes to your sleep patterns. You may need to go to bed several times earlier just so you can wake up on time. Stay away from the energy drinks and stuff. Let your body and brain figure out this new routine. Do NOT give up. Keep at it. Take some time off from work if you need to. Find someone to car pool with.

It is very encouraging that you are having no issues with the mask or machine. Consider yourself very lucky!

Which S9 do you have?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know which S9 model. I can try and check tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
It will be near the on button. There's the Escape, the Escape Auto, the Elite, and the Autoset.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2012, 02:59 PM)John Brown Wrote: Last night I even logged 8.5 hours with the device.
Fantastic. Did you slept right through
Find out what the AHI and leak shown on the S9 screen. High leak can compromise the therapy and accuracy of data displayed. Take a look at the S9 video for the information:
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep debt, as Paula said, or it's not impossible that your pressure is still a bit off. Talk to your RT and/or doctor, tell them what results you're seeing. If it's an "auto" or "pro" S9, they might even want to pull the data off it. If it's an auto, you might suggest putting it into APAP mode just to see what numbers *it* comes up with. My titration study actually came nowhere near the pressures that my S9 auto routinely operates at. For that matter, if it's *not* an auto, suggest trying one to see if it works better for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is an S9 Elite Machine with H5i humidifier, climate line hose and Quattro mask. I don't think my exhaustion is because of leaks. If it were because of leaks I don't think I would feel 10 times more tired than before any treatment. I think it is because of Rem Rebound or Sleep Debt. I am familiar with OSA associated daytime drowiness before CPAP - this is different because after only four nights of CPAP I can barely function all day long. I just want to know how long it will be before my body adjusts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2012, 04:57 PM)John Brown Wrote: I just want to know how long it will be before my body adjusts.
Some like duck to water but most are not that lucky. It can vary few weeks to few months. CPAP is the golden standard treatment of OSA but it can take a lots of patience and perseverance to make it work. For me the first thing did notice is the morning hang over headaches are gone but it took 3/4 months to find the right mask. Started with full face masks but all leaked like a sieve and didn't work for me at all then tried different style of nasal masks and found the Activa LT nasal mask which still use with a chinstrap with good results.
I would have thought as your pressure set at 15 which is at the high end your doctor might prescribe S9 Autoset instead of the Elite. Use the mask fit feature, it would help to fit the mask at 15 bc if you fit the mask at the lower start pressure it would start to leak as it get to the full pressure (15) and the same effect with RAMP as well.
Try to experiment with EPR (Exhale Pressure Relief) setting as it can provide some relief if people have a difficulty breathing against the pressure. Its the same with humidity settings some need higher, some lower and some don,t use any everybody have different needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask Fit test gives me all happy faces. After the first two nights I have figured out how to tighten it so it doesn't leak when I sleep on my side. I keep it pretty tight to keep in the #15 pressure. I don't have any issues with the mask or the machine. I am sleeping eight hours striaght in a black hole without any discomfort or stress from the mask. It could be leaking while I am sleeping because I am sleeping so deeply and soundly without any arousals. I am not wondering about the equitment so much as the effects of my body finially getting Stage 3 and REM sleep after 20 years of deprivation. My brain and body are not adapting so well.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could take a while. The time varies between person to person. Some feel better instantaneously. Others, it can take several months. The fact you are having no issues with the mask or machine is good. The fact you are sleeping the entire night is good. These are all in your favor.

It would be interesting to see what your data is from your machine. If the AHI matches what you think is a good sleep. If the AHI is fine (anything less than 5), then it is "just" sleep debt. If it is over 5, then perhaps your pressure could need adjusting.

A few years ago, I thought I was sleeping well. Some snoring but not much. But my blood pressure starting rising dangerously high. After a lot of scary tests, the doc had me sleep a weekend with an oximeter. Based on those results, my pressure was increased. Within a week or so, my blood pressure went back to normal.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 1 86 Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] UARS - Exhausted even with CPAP & EPR Wispy7115 16 1,516 12-16-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Wispy7115
  [Treatment] I've been using my CPAP for a few weeks, and I'm still exhausted. Looking for help. BrendonG92 22 3,283 10-16-2023, 11:00 PM
Last Post: spaceodyssey
  CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still prairiesleeper 7 518 10-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [CPAP] Exhausted newbie, good stats (?) but more tired mrp80 6 678 09-04-2023, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question [Equipment] Still Exhausted Despite Low Events on ASV BIPAP LastLight 6 638 06-16-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: LastLight
  Im exhausted. Please, why am I still waking up so much? emmylouwho 4 620 05-05-2023, 03:07 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.