Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP and Forum
New to CPAP and Forum
I was recently diagnosed with sever Sleep Apnea and quite surprised really. I had never heard my parents say anything about having it and they are now both deceased. I'm healthy and not overweight and went to the doctor thinking my thyroid meds weren't right. WOW! The last couple of months and sleep tests have been eye opening to this disease!!!

Last night was my first night with my new CPAP and it took me over 3 hours to fall asleep. I sure didn't wake up refreshed like I've heard some people do. Hoping it changes as time goes on.

Joined this forum for suggestions and just having someone who knows what I'm experiencing around me!

Thanks all and happy to learn from you all!!!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP and Forum
Welcome to the forum, SylviaT.

CPAP does have a learning curve and takes some getting used to. The hardest part is probably finding a mask that works for you. Don't be shy about getting your supplier to let you try different masks until you find one you can live with. It also helps to commit to using the CAPA every time you lay down, even for a short nap. After a while you won't even notice the machine and mask or imagine sleeping without them. Good luck on your new journey.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SylviaT,
Welcome to Apnea Board!
It is quite normal for us to take some time adapting to CPAP use. Afterall, you suddenly have something attached to your face and tethered to a hose.

The secret is to not let yourself get discouraged. Don't go even one night without it, no matter if it's just a couple hours.

You can try masking up and use the CPAP while either watching TV, or reading. Do this for an hour before you go to bed. You will be surprised how much time goes by, and it's a good way to just get used to the mask and the feel of the pressure.

In time, you may want to download the SleepyHead software. This is very helpful in learning about your treatment and to track your progress.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

Good Luck Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't sleep very well for more than a week--I would just lie there listening to my very loud inhaling! It gradually got better and after a month I was looking forward to going to bed again. Now I wonder what I was thinking then as I can hardly hear myself breathing now. Stick with it--the better sleep you get with the machine does help even if you are getting less hours of sleep. It will get better if you are comfortable with the mask and pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SylviaT,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! Sleep apnea is not hereditary or not always. I don't think either of my parents or siblings has it. Stick with it, it can make a world of difference in your health.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello SylviaT and welcome to the Board!

I suggest you should not be concerned *at all*. Taking three hours to fall asleep on your first night with CPAP is absolutely par for the course. No mammal was likely to have been designed to go to sleep naturally wearing a tight mask and a hosey thing flapping around! - let alone having to come to terms with a treatment that is highly likely to be a life-long necessity.

If you peruse this Board you will find many posts from fellow Hoseheads who were sleeping normally within a week of starting treatment, but also from many others who took months, even sometimes more than a year, to get used to the situation.

The fact that you have joined the Board and are looking for feedback is an absolutely great start. Come back at any time with any question or problem.

best wishes for a happy and healthy life with CPAP!
...................................................................................................
All my opinions are only as an xPAP user trying to help other xPAP users.
No suggestions I may make should be taken as professional advice.
If you have medical concerns please consult a doctor

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 10-13. PS 3-10
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome SylviaT,

In my case I found that setting Ramp time to the max (45 min for my machine) helped me get used to exhaling against the pressure. Your pressure is fairly low at this point but can still cause some discomfort at first. I no longer use any ramp as I am fully used to the machine. I would also suggest installing the Sleepyhead software on your computer. You can get a much better picture of what is going on with your treatment. You can also see if there are issues that can be corrected.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto all of the excellent comments above about giving your body and brain time to adjust to this new way of sleeping -- it took me several months, but now -- a year into CPAP therapy -- all is good. A couple of additional suggestions that helped me: (1) use a hose cover, and (2) use a hose hanger. The former reduces noise from the plastic hose rubbing on the headboard and insulates a hose on cold nights, and the latter keeps the hose from getting tangled in your arms as you turn over in the night. In any event, you are on the right path!
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear All,
It was my first time too to use the CPAP and it took me more than 2 hours to sleep. I am using full face mask and it kept leaking from all sides all night. in the morning I woke up with sever headache instead of being relaxed as I was told.
looking forward for your advices.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 269 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 189 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 679 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,584 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,741 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,705 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.