Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP and feel lost!
New to CPAP and feel lost!
Hello All,

Its refreshing to find a community of people helping each other out like this. Thank you for allowing me to join!

After a home sleep study and a 3 minute or less visit with the doctor I was prescribed a CPAP. A few days later some people showed up at my door and threw all this equipment at me and then asked if I had any questions. I told them I had lots of questions, but after the $8/hour delivery guy couldn't answer the first two of them I figured I was on my own.

I have spent hours reading and researching before I tried to use the CPAP. I thought I had it all figured out so 3 nights ago I gave it a try. All seemed to go well, my pre therapy AHI was 48 and after the first night the machine reported an AHI of 1.7. The problem is I seemed to have a reaction to the mask material, I have a red mark that is still on my face 3 days later. It was so bad that I didn't go to work the first day, and left half a day on the second. Today its still there but not nearly as bad. I'm at a loss as to what to do, I ordered a few different mask liners, but thought I would check with the experts here. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP and feel lost!
(02-12-2016, 10:41 AM)txparamedic Wrote: The problem is I seemed to have a reaction to the mask material, I have a red mark that is still on my face 3 days later.

Call your equipment provider and report the problem. Changing masks, especially for beginners, is what the industry is geared to do. Your insurance company will have allowances for this and will accommodate it because finding the right mask is a well-known issue with CPAP therapy.

If you don't get a satisfactory response from your equipment provider call your doctors office and your insurance company. You don't have to put up with the type of crappy service you've been getting from your equipment provider. They are being paid a lot of money for the services they provide, and the only people holding them accountable are us, the ones they're supposed to be providing for.

What you're going through is unfortunately very common. Your persistence is the only way you'll succeed.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's important not to over-tighten the mask, but if that is not the cause, and you really are sensitive to silicone, then you may need to look at an alternative. Silicone is usually not a problem on the face, but pressure can cause marks and redness that can be persistent. The mask needs to be fitted fairly loosely (think hovercraft).

If you can use nasal pillows, this type of mask has minimal facial contact and can be very effective. You might want to contact your supplier about changing.

If you really are sensitive to silicone, then the Circadiance brand masks are cloth material.

Be sure to follow the link at the top of the forum to download your Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset clinical manual. It can make getting to know your machine a lot easier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board txparamedic,
Finding and getting the right mask fit for you is the hardest part to therapy. I don't use a full face mask, but liners may help. You also may have the straps too tight. It shouldn't hurt or leave marks on your face. Here is a thread that may help with your mask fit.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

If you find that you can't adjust the mask to fit properly, then try a different mask. You should have a 30 day trial.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am committed to making the CPAP work. I don't believe it was an issue with over tightening, as I was careful not to do this thanks to this forum! I only wore the mask once and the red marks have persisted for 3 days and are just now starting to go away. Do you think some sort of a liner would help? I am going to call the supplier and my insurance company to find out exactly what I am entitled to as far ask mask trials. Thank you for the advise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi txparamedic,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try mask liners to see if they would help. There are a few different brands of them, take a look at the suppliers list here at the top of each page on this board and you’ll find them.
If you just keep having trouble with the mask you are using now, don’t be shy about asking to try as many of them, ‘till you find the one that works for you, there are quite a few masks out there.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi txparamedic. I am in my first month of CPAP usage & can identify with some of your experiences. You have a certain amount of time (at least 30 days) to change masks until you find one that works.

As bad as I've felt that my experience with my DME company (equipment supplier) has been, I did get a 30 minute "set-up" visit with a respiratory therapist to get me started.

The first mask I tried caused a rash on my face. Even my eyelids swelled. I don't know why that happened, since the second model I tried was supposedly made of the same materials.

I just found this community earlier this week and am delighted to have found a group of people to help me trouble-shoot the problems I am having using the CPAP equipment.

Are the sleep doctor and the DME company supposed to help you with these questions? Yes, they are. Do they usually? Apparently not, based on my own experience and that of many people on this board.

I decided that it looks like it's going to be on me to figure out all thus stuff.

Having said that, you are in (or near) a large city and probably have several DME companies to choose from. The problem is figuring out which ones are good. I have found that my doctor won't recommend one over another.

There very likely are sleep apnea support groups in your area. Even if you're not interested in attending meetings, you might be able to get some DME recs from them.

Just something to think about.

(02-12-2016, 10:41 AM)txparamedic Wrote: Hello All,

Its refreshing to find a community of people helping each other out like this. Thank you for allowing me to join!

After a home sleep study and a 3 minute or less visit with the doctor I was prescribed a CPAP. A few days later some people showed up at my door and threw all this equipment at me and then asked if I had any questions. I told them I had lots of questions, but after the $8/hour delivery guy couldn't answer the first two of them I figured I was on my own.

I have spent hours reading and researching before I tried to use the CPAP. I thought I had it all figured out so 3 nights ago I gave it a try. All seemed to go well, my pre therapy AHI was 48 and after the first night the machine reported an AHI of 1.7. The problem is I seemed to have a reaction to the mask material, I have a red mark that is still on my face 3 days later. It was so bad that I didn't go to work the first day, and left half a day on the second. Today its still there but not nearly as bad. I'm at a loss as to what to do, I ordered a few different mask liners, but thought I would check with the experts here. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi txparamedic and green wings,

welcome you both to the forum.

You are taking charge of your therapy which is awesome and most important as we all have learned to do.

This place the best source of info I know of for learning the ropes and getting helpful advice from people who are or have been right where you are now.

Good luck with your therapy.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum txparamedic! Hopefully you will soon find a mask that is comfortable and does not leave any marks. Keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
All, thanks for the advise and help. I tried a padacheek liner and it works great, no marks and no reactions to the plastic. Now the only problem I am having is when the pressure goes up at night to above 12cm, the mask starts to leak pretty badly and wake me up. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem, I am still using the amara view full face. I like the minimal feel of the amara view, but I wonder if I should switch to another mask? Thoughts or advise?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 164 4 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 81 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 270 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 820 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 322 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,003 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 886 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.