Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP and not much is happening
RE: New to CPAP and not much is happening
Doctors will disagree with the Soft Cervical Collar (SCC). Only the very rare doc will have any idea what you are talking about. He will ask where you heard about it, you will say the internet and he will no longer hear a word you say. This is actually something a user here actually discovered, we doubted it, but investigated and observed results. Bottom line is we have help many hundreds of users by suggesting a SCC. See the link in my signature for some real examples.
Post Reply Post Reply
mmmm, guinness. yeah, I gave it up too, 16 years ago, except for the occasional sip now and again just to remind me how good it is.

echoing Gideon, you're likely to waste your time and money asking the pros. sadly, few of us get much support (of any kind) from most sleep docs and dme/rt's. they don't seem to do a very good job of accurately diagnosing and treating apnea and it's rare to find one that will take the time to help us optimize our therapy, much less know how. instead, we come here to learn from the experiences of others and to share our own. once you find what works, you can educate your apnea med team and hope they're receptive and willing to pass the knowledge on to others.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just the most recent member who has a wife that didn't believe the soft cervical collar could work. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t-settings  And she even had a sleep test that says she doesn't have sufficient apnea for treatment!

Before

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29237]

After

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29358]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@sheepless - Guinness has been a good friend and enemy of mine for a long time now.  We had to part ways though.  Getting older and wiser i guess....lol.  But I am slated to go to Ireland in September for 2 weeks and I'm going to the Guinness Brewery and would like to have one in a small town pub, hopefully just one Rolleyes .
My Dr doesn't seem to responsive.  Quick meetings and basically, it seems to me, "Good Luck."  When he asked my for permission to increase my airflow on the machine.  I was like,"Why TF are you asking me??? You're the expert. Tell me what to do so I can sleep better.  I KNOW NOTHING."  He said he would get back to me in a month and that's 2 weeks from now.  If I hear nothing everything is good.  I feel this doing something, but not enough.  I'm not as crabby in the am, but I'm still tired as s*** when I wake up.

@sleeprider -  I notice their Phillips Dreamstation is set to BiPap where mine is set to CPAP.  Wouldn't BiPAP better better?  I can't stand the constant pressure of 15.  I do hit the ramp button if I wake up, but if it doesn't notice me snoring or having episodes why should it be pushing air at 15?  I found it hard to breathe when I woke up in the middle of the night, last night.  It didn't feel like I was actually exhaling when I was trying to. 
I think this machine is mine now.  My health insurance wanted to do a 3 month rental first.  I'm all for hacking into it to get it to work for me. Also, so I don't have to go see the Dr again.  They just seem to draw this out so much.  I get sometimes it takes a while to get used to the machine, but geesh.

Ken
Post Reply Post Reply
Ken, we have no idea about your therapy without the charts, but bilevel is nearly always better than CPAP, and Resmed is nearly always better than Philips. [/img]All we have seen in your charts is such a persistent VS2 that it looks like a machine defect, even in ramp. That chart was on fixed CPAP mode. I have never seen a chart like this. Something is mechanically wrong with your CPAP so that it detects persistent, never-ending snores, and you need something else. I hope it is a Resmed Autoset. Your machine is defective. Get it exchanged.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29340]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2021, 07:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ken, we have no idea about your therapy without the charts, but bilevel is nearly always better than CPAP, and Resmed is nearly always better than Philips.  [/img]All we have seen in your charts is such a persistent VS2 that it looks like a machine defect, even in ramp. That chart was on fixed CPAP mode. I have never seen a chart like this.  Something is mechanically wrong with your CPAP so that it detects persistent, never-ending snores, and you need something else. I hope it is a Resmed Autoset.  Your machine is defective. Get it exchanged.

Charts meaning the screenshots or charts from the Dr?  Here is the last night before the Dr set the machine to CPAP with Fixed 15.0 (cmH2O) 01/05/21 and the 1st 2 nights I had the machine.  It must be something with the pressure?  After he set it to a Fixed 15.0 (cmH2O) the VS2 events are a constant all night long.

I will ask about a ResMed Autoset.  

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure how my text got in the quote.

Charts meaning the screenshots or charts from the Dr? There was the last night before the Dr set the machine to CPAP with Fixed 15.0 (cmH2O) 01/05/21 and the 1st 2 nights I had the machine. It must be something with the pressure? After he set it to a Fixed 15.0 (cmH2O) the VS2 events are a constant all night long.

I will ask about a ResMed Autoset.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the Autoset would be good for you because much of what we see is hypopnea and RERA, which does very well with the way Resmed delivers what is actually bilevel pressure. That helps make both inhale and exhale easier, and we have seen much lower hypopnea and RERA as a result. Hopefully you don't have nights like the October 7 chart very often. In that chart, and to a lesser extent on Oct 6 there are clusters of apnea which suggest chin-tucking or positional apnea. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

The most recent January chart was only a 2-hour session, and ended with hypopnea and RERA. Again, the Resmed would deal with that better, and is not affected by the variable breathing which paralyzes the Philps. It's complicated, but during those pink-shaded variable breathing times, your machine is unable to change pressure in response to events. Here is a wiki I wrote in it http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Breathing My overall impression is that you would do better with a small increase in minimum pressure from 5.0 to 6 or 7.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trialing masks - pressure requirements, What's happening? Wondering2 14 811 11-15-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Wondering2
  [Diagnosis] Is this indicative of most events happening during REM? | What is a respiratory event Dire 4 534 08-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Dire
  [Treatment] Treatment-emergent CSA happening 1 year after being on BIPAP-ST? Jeads95 5 633 06-12-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Backorder AirCurve Bipap - What is happening? Abletree 6 666 10-05-2022, 03:28 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  what is happening here Innisfree 3 620 06-22-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Arrow What exactly is happening here? Millstone50 1 590 05-12-2022, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  What's happening in the 10 minutes before I take my mask off in my sleep? moodotkai 6 705 07-07-2021, 08:02 AM
Last Post: factor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.