Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP and the Apnea Board
RE: New to CPAP and the Apnea Board
Hi everyone, I am back with some questions.  I started using my ASV machine a little while ago and I was consistently getting good results and a full night of sleep.  Now after 90-120 minutes I wake up and I feel like I cannot tolerate the machine/pressure.  So, I would switch back to the AutoSet for the remainder of the the evening.  I would not be aroused at all (with the Autoset), but my sleep results were obviously not good.  So I feel like I am stuck between being nudged all night and sleeping all night with many Clear Airway events.  I read somewhere online that the AirFit p10 is best suited to pressures up to 18, but I have also read on this forum that members using this nasal pillow mask at pressures above 18.  

Is there anything I can do with the settings to make it a little more tolerable until I get used to the ASV?

Should I lower the highest possible pressure or should I leave it where it is?

Here are two graphs from the other night:  starting with the ASV and switching to the AutoSet.

Regards,

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply
Your results on ASV look very good with very little intervention from PS until the events after 01:00, and things settled down nicely at 01:25. What do you do when the machine disrupts your sleep with what seems like excessive pressure? Do you blow back or something else? Your therapy is clearly better on ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
how long have you used asv? it took me a few nights to get used to the nudging. others take longer.

not sure what your settings are but you might try reducing max pressure support until you get used to it. the resmed asv uses ps to trigger a breath.

& of course there's the blow back method to reduce runaway pressure.

oh, & I used the p10 mask up to the asv max of 25cmw. I'd get lip leaks but few mask leaks as a result of pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider, I did blow back for a while and the pressure seemed to stop it from waking me up for a while.  Then all of the sudden I was awakened night after night (from what I can tell my mouth was not open, the dry mouth thing stopped) but from a forceful blast of air.   Do you think it is a mask leak?  I did grow a beard this year, but I thought nasal pillows were best suited to facial hair.  I guess I gotta stay with the Varsity training for a while.

Am I correct to assume that I should leave all the settings "as is" and just "ride" it out?

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sheepless. You have me thinking it may not be the machine, based on what Sleeprider pointed out with my breathing before I woke up.  I bet it is Reflux from eating later and having a few "beverages" before bed.  I just started back to work after this COVID-19 lockdown.  During the lockdown, I would have dinner between 5-6pm and now I am eating between 8-9pm and hitting the rack around 10 or 10:30.  Being "retired" for 3 months was helping me sleep a lot better and now I work long shifts 3 nights a week.  I am going to try an experiment, eat earlier, no drinks and lower the PS Max.

If I were to lower the PS Max (which is set to 12) what setting would you choose?

Regards,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
12 isn't all that high, but it can be, as it's added to epap, especially if epap max is also high. if you want to limit max pressure you may have to reduce epap & especially epap max as well. if your oa doesn't increase too much by reducing epap you have more room to leave ps to address ca. it's a dance of trial & error. my preference is to adjust incrementally in the direction I want to go until I find where I get best results.

there are others much better at advising settings so watch for other opinions. the bottom line for this strategy is to keep max pressure (epap + ps) to a tolerable level, which you have to determine.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try EPAP max of 9.0 and PS max at 10, however I would dial back PS in 1-cm increments. Sometimes it works, and for others it can leave unresolved events that are more disruptive than the pressure. There is no way to know unless you try and either succeed or fail in finding more comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thanks, I will give it a try.

I appreciate your help.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone.  I am posting a follow up screen shot of my data because it has been three months since I started using the ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV machine.  I have to say I am pretty much used to it, but am wondering if I need to adjust anything in my settings.  I am very happy with my AHI results based on all the advice you have given me.  I usually feel pretty good in the morning, although some mornings I still feel a little groggy (I feel like I could sleep for another 2 hours after I slept 8 hours).  Maybe this due to 20 years of sleep deprivation.   Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good to see a follow-up on this. You have continued to optimize the ASV for your comfort and there is little more I can add. Once the PS max got to a more tolerable level you seem to have done well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 770 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,498 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 607 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 420 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  Sleep apnea monitors without cPAP LVH115 14 1,030 01-17-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 626 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.