Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP and to the Forum
New to CPAP and to the Forum
Hello All, 
Just wanted to introduce myself.
Very new to CPAP therapy (using Airsense for 8 days now), I have so many many questions. Dont know where to begin.

Been lurking around for about a week, learning.  Great forum. Everyone should be thankful that this exists. Everyone seems very genuine &  very helpful.  For those who comment, help, suggest & moderate...THANK YOU.
I learnt about SH here & installed it. Right now I am downloading ReSScan software as well. 

I have no doctor, clinic etc. I took a home test from an online company. Bought the equipment from an online company. Everything I know so far (not much) I learnt from the web. 
Now, I have this forum!

In fact, I just donated to the forum. 

Again, thanks for being here for those who need the support.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP and to the Forum
Your Welcome from whoever helped you. Now you can repay that kindness by helping others.
Big Grin
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Hope,
I also had a home sleep study and obtain all my supplies online.  So I applaud your initiative and you are saving yourself lots of headaches.

I'm new here too, and it seems like a well balanced sort of place.  Good luck with your cpap.
JD
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2018, 06:39 PM)HopeCPAPHelps Wrote: Very new to CPAP therapy (using Airsense for 8 days now), I have so many many questions. Dont know where to begin.

Hello, Hope,

I'm also a newbie.  Before I took the plunge into this forum and started reading up here about the hardware and the therapy fine-tuning and all the other gory but fascinating details, I browsed the books on sleep apnea that were available at my local large public library, not many (of course there's also Interlibrary Loan), and I did come away with one that is useful despite being 15 years old.  It is Sleep Apnea: The Phantom of the Night by T. Scott Johnson, B. Gail Demko, Jerry Halberstadt, and William Broughton, third edition, 2003, published by New Technology in Onset, Massachusetts (gotta love the name of that town).  If there exists an edition later than third (I'm too lazy to do a web search at the moment), then of course the latest is the one to go for.

I recommend that book, very much so, because everyone who is new to this needs an introduction, overview, a series of orientation lectures (which could be chapters in a book) to get started.  This board and its wiki are exceptional, terrific, fabulous, beyond compare.  They also have truckloads of information that is not available anywhere else.  However, reading endless scrolls of text on a screen for hours and hours is vastly different from reading endless pages of any number of books: the screen reading is much more fatiguing, relatively very difficult on the eyes and the mind, compared to the traditional kind of reading on paper.  (ObBoringOldFartGripe:  I feel very sorry for today's college students who are basically forced to read endless scrolls of text on screens rather than on paper, for years, whether they choose to do it that way or not.  They have no idea what they're missing.)

One of the first things that anyone will notice about that book now, and one of the big objections that people here might have to it, is that all of the information about CPAP hardware is out of date.  But that's OK; it's not a big deal.  Simply ignore it.  Don't window-shop for a machine or a mask in a book that's that old (and in your case you have those items anyway), and instead just read all of the general information there about sleep apnea and CPAP therapy.  Sure, there have been significant advances in that medical field over the last fifteen years, but I doubt that they've made most of that introductory information obsolete.  A patient still goes through a sleep study of pretty much the same kind, is hooked up to the various sensors and then to an auto-titrating CPAP machine, eventually comes away with a prescription for an air pressure or range of pressures, and acquires a machine and a mask.  Starting the actual CPAP therapy and getting accustomed to it and tuning it over the course of the first months are also basically the same except that now the machines are smaller and much quieter and more capable, and the masks are smaller, lighter, and much easier to put up with.  And there are vastly more choices of hardware in general, along with the analysis & graphing software.

So that book does provide a useful start.  And of course if anyone wants to recommend others, more recent or better in general or both, I'm all ears for that and then all eyes for the particular books; I'd love to continue my apnea-and-CPAP education that way.  Recommend away, please and thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,583 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,700 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.