Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, feel "caffeinated". Anxiety or treatment?
Question 
New to CPAP, feel "caffeinated". Anxiety or treatment?
Hello folks, new poster, new CPAP Smile .

I'm on a Resmed S9 Escape "brick", so no AHI data. I'm in UK, so on the NHS. Was diagnosed via a home oximetry test, got a reported 10 dips an hour and given the CPAP at pressure 9. As I mouth breather they gave me a FFM. Didn't like that (leaks, dry mouth), so my sister, also a CPAPer (?!?) gave me a spare set of Swift FX nasal pillows. Have issues with air blowing out mouth, but am persevering with chin strap etc as pillows so much more comfortable, it's the way to go for me. Can't sleep past 6am no matter when I go to bed.

Now, I should say as it must have a bearing on things, that I'm having stressful time at the minute of which CPAP is only a small part (but coincidentally the bad stuff occured within a few days of receiving machine), I'll spare you the details, but the signs of anxiety are there. As a result, the first ten days I hardly used machine, frequency of usage increased dramatically last couple weeks:

14 out of 30 days, average usage 5.72 hours, used hours 92.

Hence the question (it's coming I promise): I saw a lass on YouTube talking about her CPAP experience after a month or two and said it had made her feel "caffeinated".

Now, I didn't use the machine hardly at all for the first couple weeks due to life issues going on, but now I am I'm feeling, dunno sort of buzzing when I get up in the morning. A pleasant butterfly-in-stomach feeling, akin to (sorry folks) when, in the distant past, I've taken recreational drugs and I'm starting to "come up". Also just like strong coffee hit. Also, like strong coffee, it disorders my mind somewhat.

I'm not working either at the minute on top of a lot of other things, so a lot of time on my hands.

So the question is: Anyone else had this? Is it common? Or am I just having anxiety issues?

As I don't have any data from my machine I can't analyse. I record myself at night using my phone and besides some mouth leaking episodes I seem to be turning over a lot, but can't state anything concrete about how the therapy is going besides feeling this buzz. I've just ordered a pulse oximeter (CMS50-D plus) as it seems that's the only way I'm going to get feedback in terms of real data for now (I've just had to move across the country and until I get referral to new hospital and consultant through, will take weeks, I'm hanging in the breeze). Any thoughts on this issue also appreciated.

Long intro post lol. Nice to meet you all. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP, feel "caffeinated". Anxiety or treatment?
Treating apnea without a data capable CPAP is like treating diabetes without in home blood sugar tests. Of course, since the government is involved, little things like reality and the laws of physics don't apply.

Some people feel different when they start CPAP even if everything is right. I use the analogy that stopping apnea is like stopping smoking, caffeine, drinking, or drugs. Your body adjusted to being strangled during the night and having low O2, bursts of stress hormones, and disturbed sleep. When you stop the strangulation, your body sort of has to get back into "balance."

Some people have an overnight adaptation, some take weeks.

It's also possible that something is wrong, since you have a dataless brick machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2015, 05:34 AM)MartensGrove Wrote: Hello folks, new poster, new CPAP Smile .

I'm on a Resmed S9 Escape "brick", so no AHI data. I'm in UK, so on the NHS. Was diagnosed via a home oximetry test, got a reported 10 dips an hour and given the CPAP at pressure 9. As I mouth breather they gave me a FFM. Didn't like that (leaks, dry mouth), so my sister, also a CPAPer (?!?) gave me a spare set of Swift FX nasal pillows. Have issues with air blowing out mouth, but am persevering with chin strap etc as pillows so much more comfortable, it's the way to go for me. Can't sleep past 6am no matter when I go to bed.

Now, I should say as it must have a bearing on things, that I'm having stressful time at the minute of which CPAP is only a small part (but coincidentally the bad stuff occured within a few days of receiving machine), I'll spare you the details, but the signs of anxiety are there. As a result, the first ten days I hardly used machine, frequency of usage increased dramatically last couple weeks:

14 out of 30 days, average usage 5.72 hours, used hours 92.

Hence the question (it's coming I promise): I saw a lass on YouTube talking about her CPAP experience after a month or two and said it had made her feel "caffeinated".

Now, I didn't use the machine hardly at all for the first couple weeks due to life issues going on, but now I am I'm feeling, dunno sort of buzzing when I get up in the morning. A pleasant butterfly-in-stomach feeling, akin to (sorry folks) when, in the distant past, I've taken recreational drugs and I'm starting to "come up". Also just like strong coffee hit. Also, like strong coffee, it disorders my mind somewhat.

I'm not working either at the minute on top of a lot of other things, so a lot of time on my hands.

So the question is: Anyone else had this? Is it common? Or am I just having anxiety issues?

As I don't have any data from my machine I can't analyse. I record myself at night using my phone and besides some mouth leaking episodes I seem to be turning over a lot, but can't state anything concrete about how the therapy is going besides feeling this buzz. I've just ordered a pulse oximeter (CMS50-D plus) as it seems that's the only way I'm going to get feedback in terms of real data for now (I've just had to move across the country and until I get referral to new hospital and consultant through, will take weeks, I'm hanging in the breeze). Any thoughts on this issue also appreciated.

Long intro post lol. Nice to meet you all. Smile

Welcome to the forum MartensGrove. I have benefitted a lot from reading other members' posts. I started therapy only a month ago. I, too, felt caffeinated after therapy. To me that is a great thing. Before therapy, as soon as I got up (at around 5 or 6) I reached for my 12 oz of expresso! I was actually surprised that the first day after using the machine at home I did not think of coffee until 11:30. I had been tired for a long time, every activity had become a major effort for me, eventually if it was not absolutely necessary I would try to avoid committing to it, life had become a major effort. Work was becoming a major effort.

In November of 2014 I felt like I had totally run out of fuel. I started to think maybe there was something horribly wrong with me that the doctors just could not diagnose. No hypertension, no cholesterol, no diabetes, no obesity, all blood panels okay except for Vitamin D deficiency. Years back I was even prescribed an anti-depressant which did not help at all with anything and both doctor and I agreed to discontinue using it after six months.

I would get up so many times to go the "loo", my doctor game referrals to be checked for kidney, bladder infections/cancer. (CT scans normal, cystoscopy clear). Colonoscopy fine.

My husband mentioned that my breathing stopped and I made a funny snorting sound, we mentioned it to my doctor who then wrote referral for Sleep Study.

Since starting therapy with the Resmed AutoSet A10, I feel like "speedy Gonzalez" if you remember the cartoon, I guess caffeinated would be the word. I get up rested, happy, ready to tackle my day and willing to accept evening invitations with friends knowing that I will not be dragging. My husband and daughter even commented I am in a better mood. To say I felt frustrated is an understatement. Before treatment my mind wanted to do things but my body just did not follow. Having been an overachiever all my life, frustrated does not even begin to describe how I felt.

So I welcome my "caffeinated" feeling without the "coffee". Have you ever had surgery and been given morphine for the pain? Well, after AutoPap I feel as if I was given both a shot of caffeine and morphine. It's a caffeinated calm that I cannot describe. I feel like everything is fine with the world (as when the doc gives you med in hospital, no pain) and like I had 10 cups of coffee, energy, concentration. At diagnosis I had 15-24 episodes per hour lasting 10 seconds to 1 min 5 sec., have gotten it down to less than 1 per hour, pressure range is 7-11. I forgot what the oxygen deprivation level was on the report.

I am on a quest for the perfect mask, but for right now I have settled on the Respironics Wisp and have a Resmed F10 (full face) as back-up for allergy season should I need it.

I love my caffeinated feeling. I think it is my organs getting the oxygen and energy they needed and acting like they should. I do not know if you are suffering from anxiety, you really should let your doctor check for it. I know that for me, it is a great feeling.

Good luck to you. The people in this forum are really helpful and the collective knowledge you can glean from the posts is very enlightening.

Cheers!

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2015, 06:44 AM)Mich Wrote: Encouraging stuff

That's good stuff to know, so glad to hear it's floating your boat honey Smile . Thx for sharing.

Thank you too archangle. When I finally get to see the consultant at new hospital, I may demand something that logs data. Honestly, the difference in price between a data-capable S9 and the brick version isn't a lot. The mind boggles. Not only that: when I get with new hospital I have to return all my existing equipment to the original hospital (150 miles away!) and get a new set because it's a different regional health authority (going from Nottingham to Guy's in London) and they want it back (asset transfer beyond them Rolleyes).

In the meantime it's amateur night with oximeter Big Grin .
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MartensGrove,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know that I have felt cafinated, but I have noticed improvements since I've been on CPAP therapy.
Hopefully at some point, you can get a fully data-capable machine so you can see what is going on with your sleep.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't describe my feeling as caffeinated but I definitely have more energy when I wake up in the morning, and don't mind getting out of bed. Before cpap it was a struggle every morning to get up. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
You know, half past 3 in the afternoon here now, I'm shattered. It has a different quality of tiredness to what I'm used to pre-CPAP. I have been sitting on my arse all day doing nothing. Now going to the pub to get drunk, first time in a long time lol. See what the morning will bring hehe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably a hangover.

And needing caffeine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your body is celebrating it's new discovery, namely "sleep." So you're having a bit of an euphoric response. I did that, and it lasted for awhile. Then I settled down and now I just get a good nights sleep, and when I wake up my body says "That was nice, let's do it again sometime." It's kind of like when I first got married and ........... Well, never mind.

But it sounds like you're off to a good start. The fact that your machine can't tell you all that much is regrettable, but it doesn't mean it is not capable of treating your apnea. So yes, if you can go to a better model then that would be great, but in the meantime enjoy your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2015, 10:42 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Probably a hangover.

And needing caffeine.

OMyMy, you are a psychic! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 178 10 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 46 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 85 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.