Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP - having issues
RE: New to CPAP - having issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH1yTqt1sK8

great resource here on sub q injections.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2017, 06:29 PM)farmapnea Wrote: Also wanted to mention that I have a huge beard... I have tried nasal pillows (air just shoots out of my mouth), and a small "full face" that my nose fits on and a piece goes over my mouth -- I'll look for brand names later. Neither worked. I am currently using the the most basic full face that came with my device. I can feel slight leak where it is against my beard -- I have to pull it suuuuuper tight!

Read the Mask Primer,  Try different Full Face Masks for now.  Fit them with all the straps loose, adjusting while lying down with just your hand on the mask until the leaks just stop.  Try multiple placements.  Then tighten the straps, lower first, until you match what your hand was doing.

Based on your post that mask is not a proper fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 12:17 PM)jasonarmstrong Wrote: Bottom line was the apnea I developed as I aged was a double edged sword with the IM HRT.

I say this because after reading this forum and all the people able to see their results it's not as treatable as I thought i assumed you used the machine and you were treated, my sleep quality and mood sometimes days after would indicate not, so with the new machine and the ability to ACTUALLY see what's happening will help.
Going from IM injections of test to sub q lowered my draws from once every month to once every 3 -4 months as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 12:17 PM)jasonarmstrong Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 03:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Congrats on the improvement. I also have borderline polycythemia with TRT.  I think it's not particularly relevant to your sleep apnea. Your improved results are encouraging, and is probably one of the best things you can do overall to resolve the issues.  With TRT, you need to keep therapy levels as low as possible, while maintaining functional levels of hormones to be able to do what we do.  I use 40 cc T-cypionate 2000/10mL using a 25 GA x 5/8 needle weekly.  Higher frequency and lower doses helps with a number of issues including the polycythemia.  I gotta tell you, the small gauge, short needles for SC injection in the butt is a lot easier than stabbing yourself in the thigh with a 1-1/2" larger bore needle, and it all accomplishes the same thing.
interesting post.
I started seeing a hematolgist in 2001 as my hematocrit was 57, hydrated 54. one pint usually lowered it 1.5 points, at the time the doc wanted me below 50 so it was a lot of blood donations at the hematology clinic. who are way better than the vein butchers at the red cross. I was competing at the time and taking anabolics, sleep study revealed no apnea which at the time threw them for a loop because at 21 inch neck and 310 lbs they said I was a walking case for COSA.
I stopped competing in 2005 after tearing my patella tendon falling off some stairs, but continued on doctor administered IM HRT after that, hemo was always high end of range at 50..but would donate twice every 60 days at a hospital blood bank and red cross each 30 days apart.  for those that read my thread on my story I started therapy in 2008, it was just a full blown CPAP, but in the next few years hemo started to rise again and my doctors took me off testosterone and made me take HCG and clomid. Long story short I changed endos and he put me back on testosterone and hemo rose again, so the option he gave me is come off cold turkey or go to a hematologist again who told me after every test known to him, bone marrow, EPO levels, even a test here the withdrew blood mixed a radioactive isotope with it injected back in and then scanned me bone marrow. Bottom line is he told me my normal range was 55 and I was a big guy and anytime I drifted above 55 they'd drain a pint off.
sometime in the last year and a half I did a ton of research on sub q test injections and was amazed at the results with lower doses when injected frequently.
I take 20 mg ED and it keeps my test level above 750 ng/dl where the endo wants it. He is anxiously awaiting the new sleep machine and study i had done to see if it helps my hypoxia as he called it from apnea -"treated") and to see if the doses can be raised a bit.
Whole different world on sub q half the dose of IM injections, less estrogen conversion and sides as well....always felt up and down on the rise peaks and falls on 300 mgs of test cyp over 2 weeks.
Bottom line was the apnea I developed as I aged was a double edged sword with the IM HRT.

I mentioned hydrated here but it's actually hyper hydrated, i would use glycerol and drink lots of water to help hydrate plasma volume so that I could donate at the red cross, they wouldn't take me if I was above 19.0 and hydrated it would be below that.-they only measured in HGB so it would drop it a point or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2017, 12:17 PM)jasonarmstrong Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 03:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Congrats on the improvement. I also have borderline polycythemia with TRT.  I think it's not particularly relevant to your sleep apnea. Your improved results are encouraging, and is probably one of the best things you can do overall to resolve the issues.  With TRT, you need to keep therapy levels as low as possible, while maintaining functional levels of hormones to be able to do what we do.  I use 40 cc T-cypionate 2000/10mL using a 25 GA x 5/8 needle weekly.  Higher frequency and lower doses helps with a number of issues including the polycythemia.  I gotta tell you, the small gauge, short needles for SC injection in the butt is a lot easier than stabbing yourself in the thigh with a 1-1/2" larger bore needle, and it all accomplishes the same thing.
interesting post.
I started seeing a hematolgist in 2001 as my hematocrit was 57, hydrated 54. one pint usually lowered it 1.5 points, at the time the doc wanted me below 50 so it was a lot of blood donations at the hematology clinic. who are way better than the vein butchers at the red cross. I was competing at the time and taking anabolics, sleep study revealed no apnea which at the time threw them for a loop because at 21 inch neck and 310 lbs they said I was a walking case for COSA.
I stopped competing in 2005 after tearing my patella tendon falling off some stairs, but continued on doctor administered IM HRT after that, hemo was always high end of range at 50..but would donate twice every 60 days at a hospital blood bank and red cross each 30 days apart.  for those that read my thread on my story I started therapy in 2008, it was just a full blown CPAP, but in the next few years hemo started to rise again and my doctors took me off testosterone and made me take HCG and clomid. Long story short I changed endos and he put me back on testosterone and hemo rose again, so the option he gave me is come off cold turkey or go to a hematologist again who told me after every test known to him, bone marrow, EPO levels, even a test here the withdrew blood mixed a radioactive isotope with it injected back in and then scanned me bone marrow. Bottom line is he told me my normal range was 55 and I was a big guy and anytime I drifted above 55 they'd drain a pint off.
sometime in the last year and a half I did a ton of research on sub q test injections and was amazed at the results with lower doses when injected frequently.
I take 20 mg ED and it keeps my test level above 750 ng/dl where the endo wants it. He is anxiously awaiting the new sleep machine and study i had done to see if it helps my hypoxia as he called it from apnea -"treated") and to see if the doses can be raised a bit.
Whole different world on sub q half the dose of IM injections, less estrogen conversion and sides as well....always felt up and down on the rise peaks and falls on 300 mgs of test cyp over 2 weeks.
Bottom line was the apnea I developed as I aged was a double edged sword with the IM HRT.

Cool post Jason. 

I think I developed Sleep Apnea when I started bodybuilding/powerlifting -- I never did one enough to be great at lol. My neck grew pretty quick and have been pretty tired for the past 10 years. I feel a lot better with my settings how they are since donating blood.

However last night I was in the squat rack repping out 315 and after each set I had to immediately sit down and catch my breath. I think maybe the blood pressure medicine is contributing to that? I want to get off this BP medicine ASAP. Will attempt to donate to Red Cross Friday -- hopefully my hemoglobin is sub 18.5... or they will send me away, I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
What type of BP med is it?
I posted this very general description on a forum 5-6 years ago, and hell didn't cover them all and they may have some new classes of meds out that reduce BP. Pardon the acronyms ike juicers and all consider the audience was a hardcore bodybuilding forum.  Grin I currently on take 10 mg altace 2 times a day it's an ACE inhibitor and help reduce protein excretion in the urine. No side effects ever for me on it.
" Blood Pressure Meds and Treatment -A Discussion

I decided to start this thread as blood pressure can really be the "silent killer" to your cardio vascular system and kidneys. No joke. We don't need any help as we already stress the kidneys with high body weights, most lifters are dehydrated, and we bang our kidneys with high blood pressure in short bursts of high intensity training-which also dumps protein into the kidneys. Add in thickened blood, and fluid retention from AAS use and you complicate things further.

I developed high blood pressure in 2003 and got treatment. After 5 years he and I agree the only way I can ever possbily come off the meds is by losing weight. On meds my BP averaged in the mid 110's/over mid 70's. It can creep up to 140/90 but I keep a record of it.

I have been over 250 now for 10 years and hell averaged close to 3 bills for 5.
Weight is and was a concern for me so I left no stone unturned to get my BP down. It's complicated and requires a doc's help as self medicating BP meds can be dangerous in juicers especially the types that reduce blood volume and heart rate.
A one time reading at a doc's office is pretty inaccurate, the best way is to get a cuff and keep a log at home for an average.

It's important the doctor works with you on the meds he prescribes as many have unwanted side effects and can be dangerous in juicers with the thickened blood (especially types that reduce blood volume via the kidney, or with diuretic action)

Here are the types and how they work for those interested:

Diuretics-no explanation needed.

Beta-blockers-Beta-blockers reduce nerve impulses to the heart and blood vessels. This makes the heart beat slower and with less force. Blood pressure drops and the heart works less hard.

ACE inhibitors-Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors prevent the formation of a hormone called angiotensin II, which normally causes blood vessels to narrow. The ACE inhibitors cause the vessels to relax and blood pressure goes down.

Angiotensin antagonists-Angiotensin antagonists shield blood vessels from angiotensin II. As a result, the vessels become wider and blood pressure goes down.

Calcium channel blockers (CCBs)-CCBs keep calcium from entering the muscle cells of the heart and blood vessels. This causes the blood vessels to relax and pressure goes down.

Alpha-blockers-Alpha-blockers reduce nerve impulses to blood vessels, which allows blood to pass more easily, causing the blood pressure to go down.

Alpha-beta-blockers-Alpha-beta-blockers work the same way as alpha-blockers but also slow the heartbeat, as beta-blockers do. As a result, less blood is pumped through the vessels and the blood pressure goes down.

Nervous system inhibitors-Nervous system inhibitors relax blood vessels by controlling nerve impulses. This causes the blood vessels to become wider and the blood pressure to go down.

Vasodilators-Vasodilators directly open blood vessels by relaxing the muscle in the vessel walls, causing the blood pressure to go down.

The above descriptions are very simplistic but you can see the broad array and choice a physician will have to choose.

I tried a beta blocker and hated it, it made me feel groggy and as the Doc described in elementary terms "It slows everything down" not a good choice for me.

It took several different types of blood pressure meds till we found 2 that worked with out sides.

It's strange because each drug has different sides even though in the same class as we tried Prinivil (ACE inh) and it had nasty side effects for me frequent urination and headaches whereas Altace is virtually symptom free.

My doc and I chose Altace (ACE inhibitor) and Norvasc (Calcium channel blocker) and they work quite well for me. But please don't self medicate and try to dose BP meds to control it as you can see above it's complicated and can reduce blood volume and slow your HR down which may not be good in people with heavy blood as discussed before.

PEACE
Be safe fellas I see posts on the boards all the time from people taking diuretics to reduce water retention from GH and AAS and that is damn dangerous to self medicate like that. Get blood work done and work with a doc on any BP meds or diuretics to stay safe."
Post Reply Post Reply
Search on citrulline malate for blood pressure it can lower it naturally converts to NO and helps pumps ad other things down there.
Warning it's like very acetic and I slam 7 grams in the AM and 7 grams PM.
I add it to crystal light lemonade and slam it.
On work out days I take and additional in my shake.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of these days I need to do a session with you guys and figure out what all these HRT permutations are. I have only ever done T-cypionate due to tesing at only 181 ng/dL a few years back. I never understood the HCG and other things some of you use. I went sub-q (SC) and more frequent low doses on my own because biweekly IM was ridiculously up and down and really elevated hemocrit. No body building in my background but it sure would be nice to convert some mass to muscle.

I have seen that You-Tube video before. The guy is ripped. I'm an old guy, so he reminds me of Robert Contrad as Pappy Boyington in Black Sheep Squadron, a TV series from the 70s you kids can look up on Google.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 47 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 156 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 214 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.