Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP - looking for advise
New to CPAP - looking for advise
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board and new to CPAP.  I just picked up my machine Friday and I'm on day 4.  So far the hardest thing is getting use to having tubes on my head and nose.  I do feel more rested, but I wake up quite a bit through the night.

I was hoping some of you wouldn't mind taking a look at my detail log from last night to see if you see anything causing me to wake up, or any other flags.

I'm so thankful I found this forum, you guys give a lot of great information.  Unfortunately, my insurance has expensive copays, and my deductible is really high.  I've been reading this forum trying to educate myself.  I will continue to read posts and try to learn from everyone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Brad

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP - looking for advise
Also, I forgot to ask.  I can feel a small amount of air leaking where the tube connects to the tube on the top of my head.  Is that normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressures are not optimized. You are set with:
Min 4
Max 10
EPR 2

For your information. The lowest your machine can go is 4. That is the exhale pressure. The max your machine can deliver is 20 (inhale pressure). EPR IS EXHALE PRESSURE RELIEF. That subtracts the min pressure from 1to 3 points of exhale pressure. 

Your setting of min 4 EPR 2 is doing nothing because it is set to the lowest exhale pressure of 4. 

Change the min 7 and EPR 3. That should help.

Also there are exhaust ports on the mask to get rid of C02. If you have a mask that has a hose at the top of your head gear it is there to get rid of C02 also. These are important not to block or you will be getting way to much C02.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
@staceyburke,  Thank you for taking the time to explain.  I will adjust those settings.  Should I leave the max at 10?

Also, good call on the CO2.  Sounds like that leaking is a good thing.  LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you can leave it, you only approached 10 when you had a large leak. So try to control leaks but 10 looks ok
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, you have ramp set for about 45 minutes. I recommend you either turn off ramp or set it to a minimum pressure of 6 with time on auto. On Auto it will begin the therapy pressure when it detects sleep breathing. The air you feel at the tube connection is an intentional leak to prevent re-breathing exhaled air. The machine provides about 4-5 times as much airflow as your respiratory volume, so the air is always fresh. Different masks vent differently, and it looks like you might be using a P30i mask. The Resmed Airfit P10 is a similar design but the tube attaches in front and it has an even quieter vent.

Your results look good for a fresh start other than the 4 cm starting pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@sleeprider,
Thanks for your assistance as well. I think I'll just try turning off the ramp. I fall to sleep relatively quick.

The vent on top of my head was the one that worried me, like it didn't seem right. The vent under the nose piece makes sense to me.

You guys are super helpful. Thanks again! I will post updated results after a couple days!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey guys! 

Well the adjusted levels and ramp turned off seemed to be helpful, but for the last couple nights I forgot to mention a whistling sound coming from my nose piece which is waking me up. Is this possibly too high or too low humidity?  Any other thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
A whistle coming from the nose pillow, is either a leak between the cushion and your skin or venting from the mask vent. I use the P10 which is dead slent, but the Dreamwear nasal mask has tubes along your fact and connection at the pillow cushion that may be sources of the noise. I suggest you take some time before going to bed to troubleshoot the source.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm back with more stats.  I made the adjustments that were suggested to me, and at first they seemed to really help.  But now, unfortunately I've started removing the mask in the night.  I added the last 5 night reports, @sleeprider and @staceyburke, can you guys maybe take a look and let me know what you think?    I'd really appreciate it.

I could only do 3, here are the last 2.   Shy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 180 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  CPAP Data advise DaCronic072 1 291 01-02-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: DaCronic072
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,134 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 501 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad [Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine dnar82 6 712 09-29-2023, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Treatment] Request for Advise on my new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel ExXGZmpK 25 2,950 06-09-2023, 10:50 PM
Last Post: ExXGZmpK
  Therapy Advise Switched to Full Face Mask AHI increased Roamomo 6 945 05-30-2023, 05:57 AM
Last Post: paulryan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.