Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP lost with the data. Any help appreciated
New to CPAP lost with the data. Any help appreciated
Hello, what a wealth of information on this board. I wish I would have found it sooner.

I suddenly developed terrible insomnia on 2/1/21 and didn't sleep but a couple hours for the month of February. I had not had sleep apnea for the first 50 years of my life and all of a sudden I would find myself gasping for air while I was trying to fall asleep. I started getting really ill from lack of sleep and was a mess. My primary doctor wasn't in any hurry to figure things out and said he would put in a request of a sleep study after I said I thought my insomnia may be due to sleep apnea due to the gasping, but that was going to take a while due to insurance and scheduling. In desperation I purchased a home sleep study and due to the insomnia it was based off of a small window of sleep (a bit over two hours) and diagnosed with an AHI of 47.33. I purchased a PR Dreamstation and was having some challenges of always waking up with the thing blasting high pressure air. My AHI was always really high between 18 - 21.

Due to the recommendations of this forum I purchased a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset and will be selling the PR if the ResMed works out. I'm in my third week of therapy and since I'm not working with a doctor I'm lost as to any adjustments I should make.

I would appreciate any help in interpreting my OSCAR results from last night with the new ResMed Airsense. I'm very tired today and did wake up a lot during the night but I didn't have the high pressure air blasts I was having with the the PR. I'm still fiddling with the humidity settings as I get very congested during the day when I'm not using the CPAP but fine while using it.

I greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP lost with the data. Any help appreciated
I believe your minimum pressure is too low.  Let's move it to 8cm with an EPR of 3.  You can leave the maximum pressure as is.  This may need further adjustment.

The EPR should help with the flow limitations and Reras which could be disrupting your sleep and causing the fatigue you feel during the day.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2021, 08:04 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I believe your minimum pressure is too low.  Let's move it to 8cm with an EPR of 3.  You can leave the maximum pressure as is.  This may need further adjustment.

The EPR should help with the flow limitations and Reras which could be disrupting your sleep and causing the fatigue you feel during the day.

Thank you so much. I'll give it a try tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2021, 08:04 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I believe your minimum pressure is too low.  Let's move it to 8cm with an EPR of 3.  You can leave the maximum pressure as is.  This may need further adjustment.

Increasing the minimum pressure made a huge difference and I had a much better night. I think I slept for 7+ hours without waking up which I haven't been able to do in a long time. Thank you for that direction, I had not considered the minimum pressure being a factor. Breathing felt much more natural and less forced with the higher min pressure.

I'll upload the OSCAR data after a couple days of use.

Thanks so much, you were a big help. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, great! Let us see some data when you are ready.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based upon your recommendation I moved up to a 7 on maximum pressure (didn't want to jump to 8 in one night as I was afraid I wouldn't be able to fall asleep) and slept good at 7 as I reported. I then moved to 8 and EPR of 3 and didn't have a good night so I moved back to max 7 and EPR of 2 and had a much better night. I had a lot more Clear Airway events at 8 with EPR at 3 I noticed.

Any ideas on tweaks or should I hang here for a while?

Again, thanks in advance for the help. You guys and gals are amazing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Any idea if you were waking up about the time of the CA events? If you've got your sleep study info, post reacted detailed versions. If you don't have it, you should get it. I'm fishing for CA info on the diagnostic study.

Otherwise I'm inclined to think those CA could be sleep wake junk / SWJ. Regardless, keep settings like they are as it sounds like you're more comfortable.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's not that much difference between the two settings, so I recommend that you keep your current pressure at 7-12, EPR 2, and keep watch.

I wasn't too worried about the CA's in the early morning hours as that sometimes happens. What you don't want is CA's showing up all through the night.

What's most important is how you are sleeping and how you feel the next day. Your numbers look good.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I very well could have been waking up as that is the time my wife's alarm clock goes off. Mine goes off at 7:00 so I'm often partially awake during that time. As far as the sleep study it was a home sleep study so the data is limited.

Okay, I'll keep where I'm at and keep watch. I've been dealing with some mask soreness from the N30i so I'm going to try a N20 tonight and see if I like that better.

Thanks to both of you, appreciate it greatly.
Post Reply Post Reply
A simple practice experiment if you please.

A tall glass of water and a straw. A drink from BK or such works too.

Put the straw towards the bottom and pretend you are a kid, that is blow bubbles

You did it right? Assuming the straw was 8 inches deep you just exhaled utilizing the max pressure can produce. 20 cmw.
That was a practical experiment on CPAP pressures. As you noted, not very much pressure. Pressure may be causing you issues, but this is not very much pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 73 1,689 Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 473 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 166 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,135 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.