Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, need some no prescription advice.
RE: New to CPAP, need some no prescription advice.
A couple of things here....

First, many durable medical equipment suppliers (DME) offer a home sleep "study" for little to no cost. The results are not as good as a sleep study in a lab, but for a lot of people, it's more than enough to confirm sleep apnea and get you to the point of an in home "titration" study to see what sort of range you need for pressure. The DME, of course, offers this so they can sell you a machine, mask and other supplies (i.e. they get the sale and get you as a client....long term $$ for them, so they don't mind the eating the cost for the home study).

Your nurse friend sounds like she has your best interests at heart, but losing weight is not a guarantee that you'll get rid sleep apnea. I know many skinny folks who have it far worse than I do....still, if you are doing the "usual" things like eating right, exercising regularly and having an appropriate body weight (by BMI, % fat or whatever metric is appropriate) it may or may not impact the sleep apnea but will help with your overall health. Smile

If you do decide to get a machine on your own, definitely come on back. We're not doctors and don't do the whole "medical advice" thing...but we can certainly share what has worked for us Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So glad to have found this board. Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. Lots to consider. I will check in.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2015, 11:12 AM)JudgeMental Wrote: My 2cents worth.
Hi Judge ... Always nice to hear from old-timers, hope you stick around this time
Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
There are internet providers who provide home sleep studies, one company I have dealt with for equipment and been very satisfied with offers a study package for $300.00, and you get your Dr. to prescribe based on its results and another for $400 in which they have a Dr. review and prescribe. I am sure other vendors offer similiar services. You might want to check them out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the best forum for SA ever dhille7!! You came to the right place for advice from experience users.

Good luck getting diagnosed at a reasonable cost. It will be the best money you ever spent on yourself!!!

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 256 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,784 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.