Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP, need some no prescription advice.
New to CPAP, need some no prescription advice.
Hello,
This is a great site!
I'm 47 yo, have been suffering apnea for a couple years now, but the sleep studies are way out of my financial reach. Well, my wife and I are now sleeping apart full time, so I need to do something!
I actually found some encouraging stuff online about self monitoring with an auto cpap machine using the software and just basically monitoring how you sleep/feel.
I've been checking out the Resmed s9 Elite, of which there are 2 used locally for a decent price.
Does anybody have any advice on this or maybe another machine that would be good for my situation? Or, any advice in general?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP, need some no prescription advice.
(10-21-2015, 05:14 PM)dhille7 Wrote: I've been checking out the Resmed s9 Elite, of which there are 2 used locally for a decent price.
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]
S9 Elite is not APAP, fixed pressure machine, you'll need S9 AutoSet (not S9 Escape Auto)
Its a doable, if you're prepared to commit to it and have a lots of patience
The Autoset adjust pressure automatically on its own, you'll need a range, e.g. 6 - 13 and see how it goes ...
Machine is the easy part, mask choice is matter of trial and error
Have you looked at home sleep studies, cheaper than sleep labs, might be agood idea talking to your doctor, you'll a prescription to buy stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
How do you know you have Apnea?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I've consulted a nurse...as well as having all of the typical symptoms. Stop breathing, gasping, etc. She told me that if I lost some weight, I'd probably be better off. And, believe me, I'm trying. All of my extra body weight goes straight to my belly and neck. Ugh. My health insurance is quite basic, with a high deductible, then 80/20, so the sleep study is not in my budget...at least not this year.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need either an Resmed Autoset or a Respironics 560. Without a sleep study, you need the variable settings.

An alternative is to get a home sleep study. These are a couple of hundred dollars. Just make sure that there is a doctor on the other end to sign a prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dhille7,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you hopefully start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Get yourself a used auto machine. Be sure it is relatively current and gives full data on a standard SD card.

Are you a mouth breather? Hopefully not. For me and many others the nasal pillow mask by Resmed S10 I think is the best one. It comes with 3 sizes. Mask- Done. If you are a mouth breather, more here is necessary.

Install free Sleepyhead software so you can analyze your sleep.

Adjust, sleep, analyze.

All you need is the machine, mask and Sleepyhead. And this forum.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2015, 05:14 PM)dhille7 Wrote: Hello,
This is a great site!
I'm 47 yo, have been suffering apnea for a couple years now, but the sleep studies are way out of my financial reach. Well, my wife and I are now sleeping apart full time, so I need to do something!
I actually found some encouraging stuff online about self monitoring with an auto cpap machine using the software and just basically monitoring how you sleep/feel.
I've been checking out the Resmed s9 Elite, of which there are 2 used locally for a decent price.
Does anybody have any advice on this or maybe another machine that would be good for my situation? Or, any advice in general?
Thanks!

Hi dhille7,
Here is a link to guide you in machine selection and what to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

You can also check out Supplier #2 (see supplier list top of page) for used or open box machines. You will need a prescription.

I can understand if you don't have insurance coverage for a sleep test,
but look into a home test. It is cheaper and will give you a better idea of your needs.

Yes, you can go buy an Auto machine and self titrate, but the only issue with doing it this way is that your may have complex apnea, and need a different machine such as a bilevel. Then you will have wasted money and have to spend yet more $ and get a different machine. This is why a sleep study is so important.

Good luck.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with OpalRose. Just buying a machine without having been diagnosed is not the right way of going about this. You could potentially waste your time and money not to mention your health. *Maybe* it will work... if you are lucky it will. Others certainly have done it but if you can't get a study done, even a home study, I would tread lightly on the advice to "just go get a machine and good luck".
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
My 2cents worth. As previously stated.."How do you know that you have sleep apnea".. Excellent question for starters.. Your symptoms appear to meet some of the apnea criteria.. BUT it COULD be something else? Only a Physician trained in sleep specialty may know for sure. I suggest that you save and apply the money that you would spend on a "used" CPAP and apply it toward a legitimate sleep study, and then, if necessary find a "used" CPAP. Sleep apnea has very long term consequences if not treated correctly. Life is full of gambles but your health is not one of them. Good Luck (no not luck) ,
Good Decisions.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 251 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,783 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.