Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP.. setting recommendations?
New to CPAP.. setting recommendations?
Hi EveryOne!

I was recently diagnosed with MSA with a AHI of 16. O2 at 87%. I purchased a Resmed 10 and have been using it everyday since getting it. I didn't have a formal mask fitting session to try out different masks, but based on my likes and dislikes I went with the F30i and it have been a success thus far when it comes to comfort, leaks, & mobility. My machine came with all basic Auto setting. 4-10 Auto ramp.

I feel I'm sleeping alittle better overall, but I still get up several times throughout the night. I'm still waking up tired. 

How does the auto ramp work if I disconnect for 2 mins? Does it start over? Should I increase my pressures to a higher range?

I don't know if I'm chasing a unicorn, but I'm trying to get back to 8-10 of uninterrupted sleep. Life felt good back then. lol

Here are some of my readings from this week. I'm open to any suggestions or tips as this is all new foreign to me.

Thank You

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP.. setting recommendations?
Because you are just starting let me explain a couple of things.

There are 2 types of apnea clear (or ope) apnea and obstructive apnea. Centrals are you basically holding your breath while obstructive is a narrowing or closing of your airway.

We can help cut down obstructive apnea with a normal Cpap. You need a much more expensive pap machine IF you have a lot of centrals.

Second is the pressures

Min is your inhale pressure and the machine wii increase that pressure up to your maximum pressure to stop obstruction events. So you need your min pressure near the level to stop your events so the pressure can quickly rev up enough to stop tha apnea.

EPR is exhale pressure relief meaning that if you have the min set to 8 and EPR 3 your inhale would be 8 and your exhale would be 4. (Min-EPR)

You max is as high as the machine will go up to stop apnea. It may never even get close to the top number.

Obstructive Events are shown in O, H and flow limits. All 3 are obstructions that the Cpap can help prevent. Please look at my signature to see the classification of obstructive apnea.

Now for a suggestion for your setting

Min8
EPR3
Max 20

Try those tonight. Download and use PSCAR free download at the top of the site. You need a Ed card in the pap machine when you sleep to record your data. I have a link in my signature for charts it gives information on OSCAR.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick question. Since MSA could be Mixed Sleep Apnea were you diagnosed with that or Moderate OSA Wich I believe is the case?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2021, 09:15 AM)Gideon Wrote: Quick question.  Since MSA could be Mixed Sleep Apnea were you diagnosed with that or Moderate OSA Wich I believe is the case?

Got it. My apologies. I was diagnosed with Moderate OSA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2021, 01:26 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Because you are just starting let me explain a couple of things.

There are 2 types of apnea clear (or ope) apnea and obstructive apnea. Centrals are you basically holding your breath while obstructive is a narrowing or closing of your airway.

We can help cut down obstructive apnea with a normal Cpap. You need a much more expensive pap machine IF you have a lot of centrals.

Second is the pressures

Min is your inhale pressure and the machine wii increase that pressure up to your maximum pressure to stop obstruction events. So you need your min pressure near the level to stop your events so the pressure can quickly rev up enough to stop tha apnea.

EPR is exhale pressure relief meaning that if you have the min set to 8 and EPR 3 your inhale would be 8 and your exhale would be 4. (Min-EPR)

You max is as high as the machine will go up to stop apnea. It may never even get close to the top number.

Obstructive Events are shown in O, H and flow limits. All 3 are obstructions that the Cpap can help prevent. Please look at my signature to see the classification of obstructive apnea.

Now for a suggestion for your setting

Min8
EPR3
Max 20

Try those tonight. Download and use PSCAR free download at the top of the site. You need a Ed card in the pap machine when you sleep to record your data. I have a link in my signature for charts it gives information on OSCAR.

Thank you so much for the additional insight. I tried those settings (8-20, 3 EPR) and felt better overall breathing, but couldn't sleep. I'll try a 6-20 range and let you know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,226 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,338 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,206 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 627 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 861 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.