Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Cpap and not noticing a change
New to Cpap and not noticing a change
I have been using Cpap full face mask and resmed cpap-bipartisan machine with heated humidifier best you can get but I still don't feel rested and I still wake up a lot. Dr says my AHI is 3 so he is happy with thy. Will I ever feel better? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Cpap and not noticing a change
Yes, it gets better.

What machine do you have? The manufacturer name will be on the top somewhere. ResMed has the name of the machine near the on/off button. Respironics has it on the bottom of the machine in the form of a number like 450 or 460 or whatever. Remove the humidifier tank before you turn the machine over to look. The Icon brand looks like a bedside clock.

Google "sleep debt" and "sleep hygiene".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2013, 02:34 PM)Sclark Wrote: I have been using Cpap full face mask and resmed cpap-bipartisan machine with heated humidifier best you can get but I still don't feel rested and I still wake up a lot. Dr says my AHI is 3 so he is happy with thy. Will I ever feel better? Thanks

Have been using a CPAP for a number of years. First time I returned it after a week or so. Slept better without it. Then it got worse. So a few years later I got back on it.

While I still wake up 4+ times a night, without the mask I would have even more problems with waking up. In addition, I have paroxismal atrial fibrillation which is often triggered by sleep apnea. So to make a long story a little shorter, use the CPAP even though it may not get a lot better, but without it would most likely get a lot worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sclark, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yes it does get better. I encourage you to stick with it, as it takes time to get used to it..
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2013, 02:34 PM)Sclark Wrote: I have been using Cpap full face mask and resmed cpap-bipartisan machine with heated humidifier best you can get but I still don't feel rested and I still wake up a lot. Dr says my AHI is 3 so he is happy with thy. Will I ever feel better? Thanks

You will start to notice improvements in the way you feel soon. It may take a couple of weeks.

Sometimes the improvement is so gradual you don't notice it, but after a few months you look back at the way you used to feel and you know there's an improvement.

Your body is in a state of shock as it adjusts itself to the new condition of not having to wake up to breathe every few minutes. Some people adjust in one night, for others it takes a few months. I've been at it for just over 15 months and I'm still noticing improvements. I couldn't imagine going back to what things were like without CPAP therapy. It was awful.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sclark!
Welcome

I would like to stress what Sleepster said.

(02-17-2013, 04:39 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You will start to notice improvements in the way you feel soon. It may take a couple of weeks.

Sometimes the improvement is so gradual you don't notice it, but after a few months you look back at the way you used to feel and you know there's an improvement.

Before I was diagnosed, my ability to think and comprehend was noticeably decreasing. I couldn't wait to start the CPAP therapy. I slept well during the second sleep study and expected to see immediate results. But that didn't happen. The first week on it I couldn't tell any difference. However slowly and gradually over the next few weeks and months I realized that the CPAP therapy was working.

It was explained to me that our sleep apnea didn't happen overnight and fixing it won't happen overnight either. But every day you use the CPAP machine you should improve even if it is at a snail's pace. Have patience and keep using the CPAP machine. Even if you are not sleeping well, using the CPAP machine reduces the amount of time you stop breathing while you're sleeping and that's always a good thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Like most people here, I did not have an extreme reaction immediately. It takes time for the body to adjust and for you to sleep through the night. You haven't had a good night's sleep in a long time and your body is used to a different sleep rhythm now - it takes time for your body to return to a more or less normal sleeping habit. Give it time - you will feel better and your tiredness will dissipate, but it will take a few weeks or months for it all to kick in - mostly you won't notice the transition, but at some point you will look back and notice that you don't feel tired all the time. Stick with it - the results are fantastic, so you should feel relived that the therapy is working, but it is like physio - it takes time to rebuild your sleep "muscles".
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your advice and insight. I will stick with it and I know it will gt better.! Thanks againThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
there is an adjustment period to acclimatise and sleeping attached to 6 ft long hose

look at your data, if leak what wake you up, than got to be fixed
better mask fit = better sleep
this might be of some help, Tips for new CPAP users
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

please update your profile and list machine and mask make so we can help you better
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for updating your profile
ResScan software listed in your profile does not works with PR system one machines (only works with Resmed machines)

take water tank out first to avoid any damage to the machine and turn the machine upside down

you need SleepyHead software
if the label say 560 (60 series) something than you need to install the patch to work with this machine
otherwise if 550 (50 series) than the patch is not required
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,456 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,717 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 324 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 369 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.