Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Forum
New to Forum
I have used a Bpap off and on for 2 years, I have tried many settings and I am now back to the original.  Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Forum
welcome to the forum.

what we need to do is balance OA and CA events. Since you have essentially no OA events we want to try to reduce your CA events. For that we want to reduce PS and evaluate what happens. What we expect is for the CA events to decrease.

Reduce PS to 3/ set IPAP = 16
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest problem in the graphs above is not the event rate, but the mere 3.3 hours of therapy. That's not going to get the job done. Move your Flex level to 2 and stick with it for a night.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree, halve the range you currently have for flex (it's currently 4.0 according to your charts) for a bold first move, and then bracket.  As Sleeprider says, at least one night....a FULL night.  Like, 5 hours minimum, and that means asleep if you can manage it.  Lying there awake, waiting for the clock to run up to 5 or more hours, doesn't do any of us any good, so please don't subject yourself to that kind of torture.  If you have some other problem interfering with your sleep, please let us know and we'll try to help if we can.

If you get a good result on the first night, I would personally advise to let it ride another two or three nights to see if it's a solid change for the better.  One night is a bit thin because there is so much variance for most of us from night-to-night.  I'd like to seem some reliability to any changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel better this morning, I did not get through the whole night, but close.  I did a Performance Test on my machine and it failed.  I have an appointment this week to see what is wrong. I do have one other item, I have a place in the mountains, above 8500 feet, while I am there my AHI goes between 30 to 60.  I called my Manufacturer and they stated my machine does adjust for altitude.  I am not sure if the Performance Test failure is related.

Thank you for the feed back, it is greatly appreciated.  

Richard

Post Reply Post Reply
Your problem with altitude is common, but your central apnea rate is high anyway and will be worse at altitude. The BiPAP you have is not capable of treating central apnea, and I think you probably need a machine called ASV (adaptive servo ventilator). The ASV can treat therapy onset central apnea as well at the centrals that occur at altitude. ASV will treat your apnea with lower exhale pressure to keep your airway patent against obstruction, however when a central apnea occurs and the airway is open, the SV increases pressure support to cause you to inhale. It allows the spontaneous breathing your have most of the time, but also treats central apnea and hypopnea. If you regularly go to high altitude you will need ASV, however we will try to optimize your current machine to minimize the CA events.

You are using a BiPAP but there is not pressure support (difference between inhale and exhale pressure IPAP/EPAP). Normally individuals using a bilevel like myself, use the pressure support function for comfort and to treat inspiratory flow limitations. The pressure support makes breathing easier. In some individuals like yourself, the pressure support increases the number of CA events. It could be that your failure to adapt to your BiPAP is not your fault, but that it is the wrong therapeutic device for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What ASV would you recommend? I guess I need to go back to the DR, I hate going through another Sleep Study,

Thanks again,

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
Make a case and write it down.  
How much time are you at "altitude".  This is part of your case.  the 4.84 AHI, 3.98 CAI could be OK (only maybe) BUT the higher values at altitude are not.
How consistent is your CAI?  
Here is one set of rules, keep in mind that how you feel can override this.
(edit) http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...P_Machines
You have been on BiPap for 2+ years and you still have CA events, these are not going away.

Which ASV,  Collectively here we recommend the ResMed and many of the users have switched from the PR so are familiar with both/
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed, this is headed to Central Apnea diagnosis for cause. For cause here is maybe pre-existing condition or higher altitudes. Mini trainwreck so far. We can attempt to set you up with an avoidance plan as suggested, but your comfort needs consistently documented. Literally write down events, comfort or lack, and all other symptoms, complications. Once we get there, you'll need to present it to doc and request ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I will start a log, here are charts from the high altitude, I am up there all summer and visit during the winter for a week at a time.

Richard

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 269 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 189 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 679 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,584 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,741 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,705 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.