Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Forum - Expression of gratitude
New to Forum - Expression of gratitude
Hi All

I have joined this forum a mere few days ago and feel most welcomed by the appreciation that this forum goes to such great lengths to help us out there!!

Having being recently diagnosed as a severe sleep apnea sufferer, I undertook the said trials but when purchasing a machine , I turned to the US for their remarkable deals.

I was however annoyed when I approached the local Resmed outlet where I reside in Sydney in seeking advice and support. In order for my settings to be changed I had to pay a fee because I never bought it here in Australia.

Long story short I approached the forum and have resolved my issues since then.

My sincere thanks and appreciation to y' all.

You guys offer an invaluable service to the common man out there.

Heartfelt thanks to Super Sleeper and Zook.. and others concerned.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Forum - Expression of gratitude
Don't forget to download Sleepyhead software so you can monitor your own progress and know when to make those adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board.

I'll suggest that you get the SleepyHead program and check your results. You will probably eventually want to reduce the range on your pressure. For most people, it's uncomfortable to start at a pressure of 4 if the machine is always going to auto up to something considerably higher.

There is a donation link at the top of the page should you feel so inclined. It does cost SuperSleeper money to run the site.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first post too...Would have done so sooner, but was unsure where to put it.

Everything the OP said, plus!

The 'patient' in our home is my wife and partner for the last 33+ years... She has been suffering somewhat with SA for a few years now, but the last several months she had gotten real bad. On a '1-10 scale', she was at least a 9.

Some good folks on another forum that I frequent, posted some facts regarding the SA malady, and I started at that point in doing some serious research on what to do to help her. She has insurance through her employment, but there wasn't any real help there, as it only pays 80%, and has a $500 deductible...so we are on a cash as you go basis.

She has been using a new out of the box CPAP system purchased online for just over two weeks now, and the changes in her sleeping, and daytime activities, have already improved immensely.

The system is still in factory settings with a final pressure set a 10. But I have recently d/l'ed the Sleepyhead SW, and will be learning it, and watching her progress, and eventually tweaking the settings to give her the best possible rest she can get.

Thanks to all the fine folks who have helped and are making it possible to deal with SA and otherwise live a normal life.

Best To All,

FLc
Post Reply Post Reply
For those changing their own settings, the software is practically essential.

It's difficult to change what you cannot measure, and the daily summaries are barely sufficient.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Swysey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you have taken charge of your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you as you settle into using your mask & machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2014, 06:03 AM)FLcracker Wrote: My first post too...Would have done so sooner, but was unsure where to put it.

Everything the OP said, plus!

The 'patient' in our home is my wife and partner for the last 33+ years... She has been suffering somewhat with SA for a few years now, but the last several months she had gotten real bad. On a '1-10 scale', she was at least a 9.

Some good folks on another forum that I frequent, posted some facts regarding the SA malady, and I started at that point in doing some serious research on what to do to help her. She has insurance through her employment, but there wasn't any real help there, as it only pays 80%, and has a $500 deductible...so we are on a cash as you go basis.

She has been using a new out of the box CPAP system purchased online for just over two weeks now, and the changes in her sleeping, and daytime activities, have already improved immensely.

The system is still in factory settings with a final pressure set a 10. But I have recently d/l'ed the Sleepyhead SW, and will be learning it, and watching her progress, and eventually tweaking the settings to give her the best possible rest she can get.

Thanks to all the fine folks who have helped and are making it possible to deal with SA and otherwise live a normal life.

Best To All,

FLc
Hi FLcracker,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that your wife is getting her sleep apnea treated and she is lucky to have you to help her along the way.
Keep up the good work and hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck to both of you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job to both you new guys...... and Cracker, tell your wife we said "good job, you go girl!"

It never ceases to amaze me how something as simple as cpap really is can make such a difference to our physical and even our mental and emotional lives. Personally, I would not quit using my machine and cute little mask even if someone told me it was no longer necessary. When I die, they will have to pry my mask from my cold, dead nosie.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2014, 02:07 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Good job to both you new guys...... and Cracker, tell your wife we said "good job, you go girl!"

It never ceases to amaze me how something as simple as cpap really is can make such a difference to our physical and even our mental and emotional lives. Personally, I would not quit using my machine and cute little mask even if someone told me it was no longer necessary. When I die, they will have to pry my mask from my cold, dead nosie.

Hello RG... and thanks much for that!...Mizz Cracker and I both got a good laugh regarding your 'little nosie'. I am so surprised and proud of the fact that she's taken so well to the use of her new 'tool'...and seeing a lot of improvements already in her daily activities since starting a couple weeks-plus ago.

Don't wish to get to far OT here, but I was a Douglas Co. resident through most of the '70's. Really miss a lot of things about OR...with exception of the weather....Still finding occasional rust spots, where they should not be!

Take care, and stay well!

FLc

Post Reply Post Reply
Ahhh, Oregon to Florida. That's about as far a move as someone could make. I've been to Florida, Miami specifically. Couldn't stay though: All those steep hills ---- I almost stepped on one of them once. But I digress.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 269 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 188 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,583 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,704 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.