Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Site New to CPAP. Graph info ?
RE: New to Site New to CPAP. Graph info ?
I hate to say this but what is the point of putting you on fix pressures if your AHI is doing well on Auto? It sounds like they're getting ready to set you up with a brick machine. Don't let them give you anything but a full data Auto like the one your using now.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
So you are undergoing home titration with an APAP for 3 weeks after which  they will see how you do with a fixed pressure for another 3 weeks. Very thorough.

Here in the UK, I had home titration with an APAP for 2 weeks and then collected my own CPAP with a prescription fixed pressure with an AirSense 10 Elite CPAP.

Someone mentioned on this forum there is not much cost differential these days between the CPAP Airsense 10 Elite and an Airsense 10 Autoset but the NHS is still prescribing Elites (CPAP). Maybe they have a surplus of these. I have got my own For Her-the one you are now using.

With time, the breaks and waking up should reduce with a corresponding improvement in sleep quality.

Walla Walla, they might be thinking of prescribing the Airsense 10 Elite which is CPAP and not APAP. It is data capable.

However, if possible I would persuade your health authorities to let you keep the For Her model you have right now.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2017, 05:23 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I hate to say this but what is the point of putting you on fix pressures if your AHI is doing well on Auto? It sounds like they're getting ready to set you up with a brick machine. Don't let them give you anything but a full data Auto like the one your using now.

Because my coverage doesnt cover autoset machines. They only cover fixed machine which I dont know what it is yet. I might shell out the cash and buy the auto myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I over looked that your in Canada. Being one that bought my own machine I'd recommend buying an auto unless there's a need for fixed pressures. The advantage of course is the auto can adjust on the fly to your changing needs.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2017, 05:57 PM)Schweb Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 05:23 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I hate to say this but what is the point of putting you on fix pressures if your AHI is doing well on Auto? It sounds like they're getting ready to set you up with a brick machine. Don't let them give you anything but a full data Auto like the one your using now.

Because my coverage doesnt cover autoset machines. They only cover fixed machine which I dont know what it is yet. I might shell out the cash and buy the auto myself.

Do you have to pay out of pocket for health care in Canada? Am sorry but do not know about your system but am interested.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the most part no. Our health care is much the same as the UK. I am provided insurance however for things like eyes, dental and prescription medication. A machine I guess would be considered to be the same as a bottle of pills for a diagnoses of a cold lets say as a machine would be for sleep apnea. I found an autoset airsense 10 the black machine with the heated hose and humidifier for a canadian dealer for 899 CDN dollars. It most likely will be the route I will take in time but for now I will take the free machine. I will keep it as a back up or something in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
As noted previously I was prescribed the Resmed Airsense 10 Elite which is data capable but is only a CPAP with fixed pressure. I was totally unknowledgeable about apnea/machines/etc when I started but knew I had REM sleep apnea. Being a staunch back sleeper my prescribed fixed pressure was painfully high at 16.8cm H2O. I have written ad nauseoum about my early day pains but suffice to say I yearned to get an Autoset as I was convinced that the Elite at fixed pressure was not as good. I felt that my pressure needs would be really low till REM sleep.

So with the help of Reznik I got a good Black Friday deal from America and so got my own For Her model - the white one you have now. However I have discovered that the fixed 10.6cm H2O (finally came down to) served me very well with the Elite. This is as my experimentations with the For Her Autoset is giving me much the same therapy. Ie my pressure requirements does average around 10.6 cm. I am happy with the For Her but the Elite is just as good, especially being free at point of collection and as a spare.

Post Reply Post Reply
Schweb, you don't mention which province you are in, but I'm guessing it's not Ontario, because AFAIK, Ontario won't allow home titration to qualify for the ADP program. Nor is it Saskatchewan because that province will give you a machine.

I suggest you check with your insurance provider to see if they will allow you to pay the difference between the CPAP and APAP machines. Maybe you can have the best of both worlds.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did mention which prov I am in. Sask. Already asked about paying the difference and its a no go. You are right they are giving me a machine 100%. Just not an autoset machine it is a fixed machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
as long as it has a SD card, you can use sleepyhead to adjust it. the resmed elite will also report any clear airway apnea CA.
just make up your mind before you use the free machine, even with 1 hour on it the price you can sell it for drops. Sell in another Provence in CA or C/list in the US
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 343 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,852 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Resvent iBreeze APAP and BiPAP info TechieHippie 2 308 02-04-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 284 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 726 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 305 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 127 20,182 12-17-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.