Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Therapy - Starting on BiLevel
RE: New to Therapy - Starting on BiLevel
Ok good news, your Apnea is vanilla Obstructive. No CA there, so when you get on PAP, any CA that shows will be treatment emergent.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have bought an excellent machine, one that is often recommended for people with UARS. The special value of the VAuto for you lies in its ability to provide higher levels of pressure support than a regular machine like the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, which can provide only 3.

PS increases your pressure as you inhale; then it drops back down as you exhale. PS is especially useful in treating hypopneas and flow limitations (restrictions in the airway usually due to relaxation of tissues in the pharynx).

There are many setting options for the VAuto, and you should leave most of them at the factory default setting. But you will want to set a minimum exhale pressure (EPAP) and a maximum inhale pressure (IPAP), plus a level of pressure support, which will be a constant added to your EPAP unless that bumps you IPAP up against your set maximum.

I would suggest starting with EPAP min = 5, IPAP max = 20, and PS = 3. Your actual maximum IPAP will probably be nowhere near the set maximum, but this way we can see where the machine "wants" to go in response to obstructions it detects. You will probably raise your PS down the road, but I think you should take that slow and easy.

Please download the Oscar software and make sure there's an SD card in your machine. If there isn't, get any SD card that will fit in the slot. Also be sure you have a way to read the card, either a slot in your computer or a card reader you plug into your computer. By posting charts from Oscar, you will enable the community here to offer you informed advice as you revise your initial settings.

When you get your machine, set it up outside your bedroom and use it during the day or evening while you read or watch TV -- something sedentary and diverting. This will help you get used to the novel sensations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I'm definitely thankful I don't have any CAs. I was initially wondering if I should get an ASV in case things crop up, but the more I looked into it, the more it seemed unnecessary since I don't have those. Hopefully the BiLevel will be enough to treat whatever this is. This condition has been really debilitating for a few years at this point so I'm really hoping it moves things in the right direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I must have sent my reply just as yours came in Dormeo.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm happy to hear that I seem to have made a good choice picking the VAuto. It is used, but I'm hopeful it won't have any problems. It only has about 1500 hours on it.

I will definitely be relaying my OSCAR information here to get some support after my first few nights with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless high idiopathic CA crop up, ASV would be the following, too expensive overkill, not necessary, won't be scripted.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm certainly hoping I don't have to deal with CAs
Post Reply Post Reply
So my VAuto came in today. I think I've got it tuned decently for my first night. I'm doing min EPAP of 5, with max IPAP of 15 and a PS of 3. I'm trying out the p30i and it seems decent but I don't really have anything else to compare it with yet.

I've been using it idly while at my computer, but I've noticed my chest getting tight or soar rather quickly, and I'm unsure why. I've tried looking for information regarding this online but I haven't had much luck. I thought maybe adjusting the TI settings, or the cycle sensitivity would help, but it doesn't seem to. Does anyone have any ideas? This doesn't seem to happen when the VAuto isn't connected, so I'm inclined to believe it isn't the mask, but what do I know?

Aside from that, I'll be using it for a couple days and report back with some info!
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO I would leave the timing settings default until you've got a night logged and can see it via OSCAR.

I had a short bout of chest tightness when first starting PAP. My pressure settings were higher. Just a speculation it might be the foreign aspect of PAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Dave that it’d be good to leave the fancy settings alone for now. Your chest muscles may be feeling the workout from exhaling against pressure. That should pass pretty quickly.

Let’s see tomorrow where your pressure goes tonight.

I hope your first night with the machine will be a good one!
Post Reply Post Reply
I always recommend a factory reset with any used machine, just to make sure ALL settings are at default state. You have noway of knowing what the previous owner used. Then set your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,361 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.