Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to all of this. Here's my data.
New to all of this. Here's my data.
Recently had a home sleep study done.  Dr. said I had "severe" apnea.
Results of the test and my first night of data: h ttps://imgur.com/a/RMHBo (space in link since this is my first post)
I'm wondering what you guys think about this, even though it has only been one night so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to all of this. Here's my data.
Welcome TM76.  The good news is you got tested and found your severe apnea...the bad news is you have mixed central and obstructive apnea and you need an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) type of machine.  CPAP will not treat your problem, and I'm not event going to try to give you pressure suggestions to lower this high central event rate. Note, your obstructive apnea is almost completely treated here, but the CPAP is not intended to treat central apnea and hypopnea.

What is going to happen is you need to do your best to use the machine, but start reading about mixed apnea and ASV.  You will probably fail to achieve good treatment results with CPAP, and you need to let your doctor know as soon as possible.  Your sleep test results have all the necessary information to change your diagnosis from obstructive to mixed and central apnea.  Insurance will require you to fail at CPAP to qualify for the machine you need.  You and your doctor need to work together to schedule a titration test to evaluate BiPAP and BiPAP-ASV.  Once you get the ASV, your rate will likely drop to less than 2 events per hour, and most likely less than 1 event per hour.  In some relatively rare cases, the central events do settle down and improve with CPAP so you will likely be required to try this therapy for a month, but you can let your doctor know of your progress before then so things move faster.

We are here to help you and coach you through this difficult bureaucratic process.  Many members here have that experience already.  Be patient, and be prepared to work harder at this than most, and it will work out in the end.  It may be frustrating and the biggest challenge is not to quit...get the treatment you need.

[Image: WIuiMoJ.png]

[Image: L9iJvS4.png]

[Image: gE93Jq1.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow.
I was hoping for a little better news than that, but this is life.
Thank you, Sleeprider, for you quick and informative response.
I will take your advice and talk to my doctor and research ASV machines.
If I see any changes in the meantime, I'll post updated data.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said, some people do achieve efficacy with CPAP, but your post was great in that you included the sleep study. That explains the CA events perfectly. I don't want to seem cynical, but I have coached and helped many individuals with results like yours, and it is rare for them to get consistently less than 8 events per hour on CPAP. I just thought I'd level with you that my expectations are low, but we're here to help.

I'm not a doctor, but if I was and saw results in a sleep study like yours, I would insist on a clinical titration on the basis that anyone with your CAI generally fails CPAP due to centrals. It just saves time and frustration to get it out of the way. Instead you have an auto CPAP machine set to default pressures of 4-20 cm and instructions to self titrate. You're going to need more help than that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tm76,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and also with getting the machine you really need.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It has been nearly a week since I started now.  I think things are improving.  Here is the data from last night.
h ttps://imgur.com/a/vQBFR
Post Reply Post Reply
well isn't that a big difference. You have to be happy with that. I have no answer as to why, but gift horses and all that.
I would try your min on 9 and see if that helps to stop some H before they start.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks ajack.  I will give that a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
All events usually disappear at 9 cm.  The big obstructive and hypopnea episode at 02:30 looks positional. I figure your minimum pressure is at least 8.0, and you might benefit from a cervical collar to avoid chin tucking.  Leaks look good, turn off VS2 events for now.

[Image: a55NMoG.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd listen to sleeprider, I saw a chart where positional apnea was also raising CA, I'd keep this in mind as you go forward. Chin tucking, which obstructs the airway can be a big cause
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 800 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,282 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IF I insert an SD card to get data for Sleepyhead will my ResMed still send data theMezz 3 2,072 04-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: theMezz
  Data viewer for 960 BiPAP AutoSV / Missing data pswartz 5 4,059 10-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: pswartz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.