Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to all this. Apria vs. Online?
New to all this. Apria vs. Online?
Hi,

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and given a prescription for an APAP machine. I do not have insurance and all costs will be out of pocket. My doctor refers everyone to Apria for the machine and supplies, as well as the resources for downloads/adjustments.

Apria wants $1605 for a Resmed AirSense 10, whereas I could buy a similar machine online for around $500, or the same machine for $880. If I buy my own, Apria won't provide any services and there aren't any respiratory therapists around apart from Apria. Do I need someone to read data and make adjustments? Is it worth going through Apria?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to all this. Apria vs. Online?
If your not going through insurance, then there is no reason to feel tied to Apria. What services will they be offering for double the cost? You can learn how to read your data with our free software and adjust your settings here on this forum.

Your best bet is to buy online. Check out the suppliers list at the top of page. Here is a link to help you choose a machine and know what to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Without insurance, you would have to buy your own mask, but most of the online suppliers have a 30 free trial minus shipping.
One last thing, be sure to ask for a copy of your script and sleep study.
Good Luck
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! Supplier #2 can save you some significant money.

From what I have read on this forum Apria does not have a stellar reputation so you are probably not missing much from them. I had an excellent supplier here in Canada, but still got better information, ideas, and support from this forum.

The main (e.g. popular) alternative to the ResMed AirSense 10 is a the Phillips Respironics DreamStation. Both are top quality, but make sure you get a data capable machine, they come is several different models not all if which are APAP or data capable. Learn before you buy and ask questions here if you need help deciding.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2016, 04:59 PM)jgoole Wrote: Do I need someone to read data and make adjustments?

You can download the data from your machine yourself. There are two programs you can use: ResScan and SleepyHead. You will want to use ResScan to print reports for your doctor. Go to the Private Files and Links part of ApneaBoard for instructions for downloading the software. SleepyHead is more user-friendly, but the link looks like it's broken right now.

If you purchase a Philips Respironics machine instead of ResMed, you will want Encore instead of ResScan.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jgoole,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy and good luck to you on your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I sent you a PM.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apria? No go. Run, don't walk.

Go back to Dr. and get Rx. Send to other vendor. I have done business with #2 and they are good. Can also still find the Phillips Respironics 60 series autos (model 560) for sale less than $500 from a few online sources. Those machines are every bit as good as the Resmed S-10 from the standpoint of performance and reporting capabilities. Heck, I like the DeVillbiss Intellipap Auto, it is a darned fine machine, tough as snot, superior from a power backup standpoint, though reporting is a little more obtuse.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
When someone actually creates a website for Apria complaints, you know they have a bad reputation.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jgoole and welcome to the forum. Several years ago the small, locally owned DME, with which I was extremely satisfied, was bought by APRIA. I quickly became dissatisfied with the new situation and found a new DME. Since I am on Medicare etc. I cannot completely avoid working with a DME but, so far I can be choosy on a limited basis.The challenge seems to be finding a good one that isn't subject to being bought by a not so good one. If you do not rely on insurance, you can easily free lance it, just soak up as much good information from this forum as time permits, you will not be disappointed.
Stan

Post Reply Post Reply
Apria is awful. As a former customer I would never recommend them to anyone. I would get the machine on your own and use SleepyHead and the forums to guide your therapy to the sweet spot.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apria switched CPAP Elton525 10 528 01-22-2024, 02:32 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  Anyone interested in starting an online self-help video chat for people with SA/UARS? JamesD0079 0 345 10-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Apria Healthcare 2PAPs 10 2,284 09-19-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: enigmatic
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  best canadian online cpap stores? is cpap outlet legit ? michelbeaini 1 1,189 07-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Online sleep physicians who use OSCAR ? stevelk9999 19 1,730 06-13-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,983 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.