Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to apnea, need help.
New to apnea, need help.
This is a great forum. I have read quite a bit, but still have some specific questions as it relates to my situation.

I completed two sleep studies and was given a prescription for a CPAP machine with a pressure of 12, flex of 3. My PCP is the one who ordered the test(s) and basically said this isn't her specialty so she copied and pasted the recommendation from the sleep center/doctor for the prescription when I asked about getting an APAP machine. She sent it to a DME and I asked them if I could get an APAP machine and they said all the new machines they sell have auto capabilities. I am a little suspicious of that based on everything I've read on here. When I asked for the exact model that would be available she said ResMed AirSense 10. When I questioned if this was the AutoSet model, she said yes it has auto capabilities but you would have to have your doctor change the prescription so they could change the settings down the road. Does that sound right? I called another DME and they told me the prescription would need to be changed to a range (I.E. 5-20) in order to get an APAP machine. I'd rather not have to hassle my PCP for a new prescription since it doesn't sound like she is very knowledgeable about it. Can I get an APAP machine with the current prescription I have or do I need get it changed?

I also asked the DME about the data monitoring capabilities and she said they would get the data and monitor it. When I asked if the data would be available to me, she said they have some software they would give me to use.

Also, the DME said I would need to do a rent to own because my insurance requires it, although they will ask if the insurance will buy it outright instead of rent to own. I have met my rather large mediacl insurance deductible for this year and would love to just get the machine included under that and not carry into the new year month by month. Any help on this?

Sorry this is so long, but thank you for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to apnea, need help.
Hi Chalk!
Welcome
Because of the high dropout rate of new CPAP users, insurance companies usually require a rent-to-own initial acquisition. Asking for another script from your PCP is no biggie. If asked why, just tell her that you'd like the CPAP to be able to auto titrate based on your body's current needs. (I don't know if this will actually work. . . but it sounds plausible.)

As far as the different models, Look at some of the supplier's sites (link at the top of the webpage) and you'll get a grasp of the different AS10 model names. . . with the Autoset being the auto adjusting unit. The AS10 has a cell phone modem builtin that medical professionals and DME's can monitor and adjust the patient's settings. This is a subscription service that they have to pay for. The DME will probably use it to see compliance data so they can get paid by your insurance while it's being rented.

About you being able to monitor your data; A free software named, "SleepyHead" (link at top), will work with the AS10 models. . . at least the ones you will be using. My experience with vendor supplied software leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't provide the level of detail most people (on this forum) want.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum (again)!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:When I asked for the exact model that would be available she said ResMed AirSense 10. When I questioned if this was the AutoSet model, she said yes it has auto capabilities but you would have to have your doctor change the prescription so they could change the settings down the road. Does that sound right?

It does sound right. Since this DME only sells APAPs (let's trust them on that for the moment), then the rep is just saying that pressure changes are always by prescription. That's standard practice. So down the road (not now) if you need your pressure changed, you'd need a new prescription. You don't need a new prescription right now.

If the rep stated that it is an AirSense 10 Autoset then you just need to confirm it when you pick up the machine (or the machine is delivered). The name (Autoset) will be right on the front of the machine:

[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]

If it says "CPAP" or "Elite" then it is not the Autoset and don't accept it (once you accept a machine it is very hard to exchange it). Don't worry about the other comments about the doc changing the prescription, etc. Once the Autoset is in your hands you can learn how to change the pressure(s) should you need to. You really won't need a new prescription, but don't suggest this to the DME rep.Smile

And you can use SleepyHead software to look at your data. You don't have to rely on the DME for this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chalk,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and Much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can get the AirSense 10 Autoset, it can run in straight CPAP mode. So, the Rx of 10 can be set by the supplier.
ergo, the Rx you have should be good enough; unless it does not satisfy your insurance company. For the DME supplier to set it into auto mode would require them to have an Rx with an upper and lower range of pressures. This gives your doctor the freedom to call for auto with a range of pressure at some future point in time; or, you can, if you choose, exercise that option.

I'd try to get the autoset, but run it as a CPAP at prescribed pressure for a while to see how you adapt to the therapy. You might do just fine at fixed pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Your PCP can write for an autoset, once you have been diagnosed with a study and insurance will pay for it. Insurance pas the same amount on cpap or apap.
Your dentist or a nursr prac can write the script as well.
No need to settle for a cpap instead of auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
What the DME told you both sounds correct, and is a plausible scenario. My DME (Providence Home Health) only issues APAP no matter the Rx. They can only set it to the prescribed pressure. so that part is also correct. The second DME who told you they will not issue APAP without a prescribed range is doing that to keep their costs down. Insurance companies do not pay more for APAP than they do for CPAP. Same billing code; but APAP costs more than CPAP so the DME has to eat that difference. Lower budget DMEs will try not to give an APAP when CPAP will do, for that reason. As the consumer, though - what you want is the APAP. Your Prescription is good for CPAP and also for APAP, but if it was written for a range the DME is forced to issue APAP, where it is their choice when it is written for a single pressure. Make sense?

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,399 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,894 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,529 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.