New to board. Struggling on bipap
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: New to board. Struggling on bipap
(05-29-2014 09:27 AM)Bama Rambler Wrote:  Try commenting on/answering a few of RobySue's comments and questions ...

Yes, that would be helpful.

Hi DeadAndTired,

1. Assuming you were dispensed a PRS1 BiPAP ST machine because of central apneas, you may want to request the PRS1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced with heated hose, because this ASV model is more automatically adaptable to our natural breathing, and I think you may actually find the ASV model more comfortable and it's therapy more effective.

Pressure Support (PS) is the name of the boost in pressure when inhaling.

The BiPAP ST machine is somewhat like a non-Auto machine which does not adjust the exhale pressure (EPAP). It is like a PRS1 REMSTAR Pro model, except the inhale (IPAP) pressure can be set higher than EPAP, and if you stop breathing the BiPAP ST machine will use Pressure Support to make you breath at 10 breaths per minute (or at whatever backup rate it has been set to).

The ASV machine, however, would be like an Auto machine which does adjust your exhale pressure (EPAP) to treat/prevent obstructive apneas. Like the PRS1 REMSTAR Auto or PRS1 BiPAP Auto, the ASV machine can be set to automatically adjust EPAP to better avoid obstructive apneas. In ASV machines, PS increases automatically when needed to treat/prevent central events. And, during a central event, when it does increase PS to keep you breathing adequately, the backup rate can automatically adjust itself to your recent breathing rate, so it will be better synchronized to your own breathing.

2. Obstructive Sleep Apnea is usually highly positional, with supine (flat on our back) usually far worse than if sleeping on our side. It may help tremendously to ensure that you are never sleeping on your back. When I am ready for sleep, I put on a snug teeshirt with a tennis ball or two in pocket sewn between my shoulder blades, so that when I roll onto my back I wake up just enough to keep rolling, to my other side.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 09:45 PM by vsheline.)
05-31-2014 09:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Smile [Admin Note] PLEASE HELP Apnea Board if you can [new server coming] SuperSleeper 23 428 Today 07:52 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,266 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  New Member. This board has already made my life better! Russatrice 9 314 11-26-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Advice needed for struggling CPAP user Fubblin 35 1,962 11-18-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First time Bipap User, years of suffering SleepyMersim 18 623 11-16-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Galactus
Question BiPAP vs EPR/Flex etc? SleepyBee 7 261 11-13-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  [Equipment] Annoying on/off beep on Respironics BIPAP S/T C series rcattell 8 337 11-06-2016 12:07 PM
Last Post: rcattell