Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to board and recent addition of O2 to cpap and feel weird
Recent oxygen addition to cpap and anxious
I have been using my cpap for 5 years. I use a nasal mask most nights but sometimes a full face if stuffy. I live in 6200 elevation. I am overweight about 50 pounds so working on that but I have always had sleep apnea. My machine is variable 6-15 settings. My average nightly pressure is 8-9. My ahi always says under 1. I was still tired recently and waking with heart pounding and headaches. My doctor ordered a pulse ox over night and my oxygen would be 93 but dip into mid to low 80s many times and my heart rate would come up to 90. I have used 1 1/2 liter of oxygen added to my cpap for 3 nights now. I think I do feel better but now I feel almost over energized and anxious. I also recently raised my thyroid meds so maybe it’s that. I go to a new sleep doctor in a few weeks. I have a tiny airway according to dentist and a deviated septum that gets stuffy on one side. I may get a mouth device from my dentist to hold my jaw forward with my cpap. I am nervous that I am so anxious. I don’t know if it’s just something new or I am worried about why I need it? I have been waking up a lot dreaming about the oxygen lol. Does recent oxygen use cause anxiety? Is this common to usage to use oxygen? I am in high altitude. I am 43 and otherwise decent health.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recent oxygen addition to cpap and anxious
Welcome to Apnea Board,

I would say given the pulse oximeter data of it dipping into the 80s for 6 or more minutes, which I'd think it must have, yes that's a correct/valid reason for supplemental oxygen.

I'd consider calling your primary care and see what they say about your anxiety. Just my opinion, but I don't think added oxygen would make one anxious.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really don’t know if I dip low and stay there for a while but some nights I have. My primary care is the one that ordered it. My sleep doctor is so hard to get into i am changing doctors.

These are some pictures of the Wellue 02 ring i wore before I started wearing oxygen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another. This one doesn’t look as bad.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is when I was in the mountains. I felt awful

Post Reply Post Reply
If I'm reading these charts accurately, July 4 and 5 you had respectively 3 hours 35 minutes and 5 hours 40 minutes below 90%. That's quite a long amount to have oxygen that low. Admitted it didn't indicate time below 89%, but it has to be a significant portion of those times at or below 89.

I think your altitude has a part in this issue in the oxygen levels, but I can't know by how much it's responsible for. For perspective, I have COPD and my oxygen level is not below 89% 6 minutes, at least when it's been measured.

I still would follow up with primary. Just check in and report your symptoms.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use the O2 ring now to confirm your O2 levels. I can see anxiety just from the need to use supplemental oxygen.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on oxygen 24/7 for about 10 years and just during sleep for 20+ years. If you have question please ask. and No I have not experienced any anxiety for use. It is something that you need if your numbers are what are shown. I have a long oxygen tube and have the Oxygen machine in another bedroom - it is just to loud to keep in the same room.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mtngrace,
I was thinking the same as Gideon. Please post another graph after a night of using the oxygen. Let's see if there is a difference.

Are you using OSCAR software? Download it and use the links in mine or Gideon's signature line to guide you. Looking at your data in OSCAR might give us more insight on advising you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I will. Yes some of the worse ones was at almost 10,000 feet altitude. I live at 6200 feet though and was still getting low sats and would wake up with my head hurting until I started taking deep breathes. That’s all with my cpap on. I don’t have lung issues otherwise. I think it’s a combo of my weight and altitude.  I also tend to get congested at night. I hate using a face mask though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 6 171 1 hour ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 12 437 04-16-2024, 06:17 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 471 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 187 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 980 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 403 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 267 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.