Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Wisp minimal contact mask
Humidifier: Philips System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Auto-CPAP: 5-15
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

New to board plus question about cpap
Hi! I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea after two sleep studies. The first showed a false negative due to the fact I slept poorly that night. (I work nights.) The 2nd study (slept during day) showed moderate to severe sleep apnea. I had an overall AHI of 34 events per/hour with desaturations down to 83%. So I now have a cpap and have used it now for 3 nights and do okay with it. Reading my machine data it looks like my AHI has been around 0.1, and from what I gather that is good. The only thing I find disturbing is when I initially put the mask on & the machine turns on I feel like I'm fighting with the machine just to breath. I overcome it but it's just a weird feeling and eventually feel I can breath normally. Anyone else feel this way? I'm not too disturbed over it and, I'm sure I'll get used to it. The doc has it on auto from 5 to 15, which starts off at 5.
04-28-2014 08:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

RE: New to board plus question about cpap
(04-28-2014 08:14 PM)Dragonflyshell Wrote:  Hi! I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea after two sleep studies. The first showed a false negative due to the fact I slept poorly that night. (I work nights.) The 2nd study (slept during day) showed moderate to severe sleep apnea. I had an overall AHI of 34 events per/hour with desaturations down to 83%. So I now have a cpap and have used it now for 3 nights and do okay with it. Reading my machine data it looks like my AHI has been around 0.1, and from what I gather that is good. The only thing I find disturbing is when I initially put the mask on & the machine turns on I feel like I'm fighting with the machine just to breath. I overcome it but it's just a weird feeling and eventually feel I can breath normally. Anyone else feel this way? I'm not too disturbed over it and, I'm sure I'll get used to it. The doc has it on auto from 5 to 15, which starts off at 5.

Hi Dragonflyshell, welcome to the magical world of cpap mania...

You just need to ask your doc to increase the starting pressure a bit. When I started my machine started at 4 and like you I thought I was going to suffocate for a few minutes until it got over that nonsense.

Since you're new to this, I would run it by your doc first, but I'm sure they'll be fine with starting the pressure at around 7 or so.
04-28-2014 08:28 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Yes, what you are experiencing is normal. If your starting pressure was lower, I would suggest using the ramp feature but at 5, it won't do you much good.

Make sure, though, that the A-Flex is turned on. This is the pressure relief that makes it easier to breathe out.

It getting easier during the night is normal, too. It just means you are adjusting. What you may want to try is sitting up with the mask and machine on during the day, like when you are watching television or reading. This will get you more used to the breathing against it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-28-2014 08:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Welcome to the Shrine of the Bated Breath, Dragonflyshell.

The best place to learn about this "hobby" of ours.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
04-28-2014 08:31 PM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Welcome to the forum Dragonflyshell. Your AHI is good. You want it to be under 5 and your leak rate under 24L/min. You are on the right track.

As for the smothering feeling you have, I had the same thing and it isn't uncommon. I am not familiar with your machine as I have a ResMed S9 AutoSet. My machine has a ramp feature. When the ramp was on it started out at a low pressure of 4 and gradually increased to my prescribed pressure of 10. It was very uncomfortable for me that low. During my titration sleep study they started me out at 4 and it was uncomfortable as well. They turned it up and it felt better to at least get me started with the sleep study. Having read about the ramp on this forum, I knew it could be turned off. When I received my machine after a couple nights of trying it, I turned the ramp completely off since it wasn't a bother for me to go straight into my prescribed pressure. You appear to have a range of pressures though with the lowest at 5. Even if ramp is set starting at 4, it wouldn't make much difference for you turning it off. I think the lowest pressure machines go is 4. Possibly your doctor could give you a different start pressure higher than 5.

Good luck with your continued therapy. Keep asking questions. There are many here that can give encouragement, advice, tips, etc. It is a valuable place to come for help.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2014 09:39 PM by ImaSurvivor.)
04-28-2014 08:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
afman151892 Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics system one resmstar pro
Mask Make & Model: TrueBlue
Humidifier: system one
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

Welcome I still get that feeling every night right when I turn the machine on. Just for the first couple of breaths. I would make sure to turn the a-flex on. Helps make breathing feel more natural. I have been using my machine for a month and love it. Never though I would look forward to putting my mask on every night. Hang in there it gets better.
04-28-2014 09:13 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Dragonflyshell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take a bit of getting used to. Since you aren't overly disturbed about that smothery feeling, you might just want to keep on doing what you are doing, you will eventually get used to it.
Maybe it would help you to set up during the evening and mask up and use the machine while you watch tv.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
04-28-2014 09:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JWR Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation DSX700 , PR 760 bipap auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed mirage FX
Humidifier: DreamStation DSXH , system one
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 17.5max IPAP = 21

Other Comments:

Hi Dragonflyshell,
WELCOME! to the forum.! Welcome

04-28-2014 09:34 PM
sibertiger Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips Respironics System 1 DS560TS
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro Air
Humidifier: Came with PRS1
CPAP Pressure: 10-16

Other Comments:

I too had this issue, when I was first setup with my machine. The pressure in the mask was so intense it was like facing into the wind at 80 mph, and trying to breathe. I had them try a medium mask, instead of a small, and that feeling went away.
04-28-2014 10:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dragonflyshell Offline

Members

Machine: Philips REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Philips Wisp minimal contact mask
Humidifier: Philips System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Auto-CPAP: 5-15

Other Comments:

Thank you for the welcome. Glad I have a supportive group for questions. I know the respiratory therapist that works at the medical supply shop is supposed to contact me tomorrow to see how I'm doing so I will mention the smothering feeling. Thanks again.
04-28-2014 11:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Smile [Admin Note] PLEASE HELP Apnea Board if you can [new server coming] SuperSleeper 22 393 Yesterday 07:17 PM
Last Post: Newbee2016
  New Member. This board has already made my life better! Russatrice 9 312 11-26-2016 01:24 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Question using PayPal to buy cpap from craigslist Lanco 19 939 10-19-2016 10:49 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Apnea Board News - 2016 SuperSleeper 0 413 09-01-2016 07:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New member to the board. 1BigDog 6 382 08-18-2016 01:21 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
  CPAP newbie question: Is it useful to visit a neurologist for hypopneas? Snurkel 18 953 07-25-2016 09:04 PM
Last Post: richb
  New to cpap and the board Frustrated1 19 1,182 07-09-2016 10:59 AM
Last Post: PoolQ