Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to board plus question about cpap
RE: New to board plus question about cpap
I was originally titrated with a pressure of 13 cmH2O, and had a fixed-pressure CPAP unit. My ramp button got a good workout those first few months. After a few weeks, I would actually wake up in the morning and wonder if the machine was still on. I'd still use the ramp when first going to bed, but I eventually found that I felt like I wasn't getting _enough_ air. So I increased the starting ramp pressure, and eventually started going without the ramp at all.

Nowadays, using the auto-start feature of the machine, I find that the timing is such that most of the time the airflow starts right as I am breathing out. But I hardly even notice, as less than a second later, the machine and I have "reached an agreement". And the ramp button hasn't been touched in many months.

It has also gotten to the point where I can even speak (I use a nasal mask) with the machine running without any issue.

You'll get there too. Just keep at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2014, 08:14 PM)Dragonflyshell Wrote: The only thing I find disturbing is when I initially put the mask on & the machine turns on I feel like I'm fighting with the machine just to breath.
(04-28-2014, 08:28 PM)retired_guy Wrote: You just need to ask your doc to increase the starting pressure a bit.
I agree with retired_guy. My initial prescription was for straight CPAP (autoset disabled) at a pressure of 4 and it gave me the same "fighting for breath" feeling. After a few months and a lot of help from this forum, I have autoset enabled with a pressure range of 8/14 and no ramp. I'm breathing easy now and hopefully you soon will too!

Post Reply Post Reply
My machine was doing the same thing. I discovered that the ramp was set for 30 minutes but did not come on unless I pressed the ramp button on the top of my machine. Once I discovered that, the pressure drops down to a comfortable start point.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2014, 10:01 AM)annebee Wrote: My machine was doing the same thing. I discovered that the ramp was set for 30 minutes but did not come on unless I pressed the ramp button on the top of my machine. Once I discovered that, the pressure drops down to a comfortable start point.
Hi annebee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,310 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 474 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 973 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 290 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,651 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.