Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to board plus question about cpap
New to board plus question about cpap
Hi! I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea after two sleep studies. The first showed a false negative due to the fact I slept poorly that night. (I work nights.) The 2nd study (slept during day) showed moderate to severe sleep apnea. I had an overall AHI of 34 events per/hour with desaturations down to 83%. So I now have a cpap and have used it now for 3 nights and do okay with it. Reading my machine data it looks like my AHI has been around 0.1, and from what I gather that is good. The only thing I find disturbing is when I initially put the mask on & the machine turns on I feel like I'm fighting with the machine just to breath. I overcome it but it's just a weird feeling and eventually feel I can breath normally. Anyone else feel this way? I'm not too disturbed over it and, I'm sure I'll get used to it. The doc has it on auto from 5 to 15, which starts off at 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to board plus question about cpap
(04-28-2014, 08:14 PM)Dragonflyshell Wrote: Hi! I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea after two sleep studies. The first showed a false negative due to the fact I slept poorly that night. (I work nights.) The 2nd study (slept during day) showed moderate to severe sleep apnea. I had an overall AHI of 34 events per/hour with desaturations down to 83%. So I now have a cpap and have used it now for 3 nights and do okay with it. Reading my machine data it looks like my AHI has been around 0.1, and from what I gather that is good. The only thing I find disturbing is when I initially put the mask on & the machine turns on I feel like I'm fighting with the machine just to breath. I overcome it but it's just a weird feeling and eventually feel I can breath normally. Anyone else feel this way? I'm not too disturbed over it and, I'm sure I'll get used to it. The doc has it on auto from 5 to 15, which starts off at 5.

Hi Dragonflyshell, welcome to the magical world of cpap mania...

You just need to ask your doc to increase the starting pressure a bit. When I started my machine started at 4 and like you I thought I was going to suffocate for a few minutes until it got over that nonsense.

Since you're new to this, I would run it by your doc first, but I'm sure they'll be fine with starting the pressure at around 7 or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, what you are experiencing is normal. If your starting pressure was lower, I would suggest using the ramp feature but at 5, it won't do you much good.

Make sure, though, that the A-Flex is turned on. This is the pressure relief that makes it easier to breathe out.

It getting easier during the night is normal, too. It just means you are adjusting. What you may want to try is sitting up with the mask and machine on during the day, like when you are watching television or reading. This will get you more used to the breathing against it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Shrine of the Bated Breath, Dragonflyshell.

The best place to learn about this "hobby" of ours.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Dragonflyshell. Your AHI is good. You want it to be under 5 and your leak rate under 24L/min. You are on the right track.

As for the smothering feeling you have, I had the same thing and it isn't uncommon. I am not familiar with your machine as I have a ResMed S9 AutoSet. My machine has a ramp feature. When the ramp was on it started out at a low pressure of 4 and gradually increased to my prescribed pressure of 10. It was very uncomfortable for me that low. During my titration sleep study they started me out at 4 and it was uncomfortable as well. They turned it up and it felt better to at least get me started with the sleep study. Having read about the ramp on this forum, I knew it could be turned off. When I received my machine after a couple nights of trying it, I turned the ramp completely off since it wasn't a bother for me to go straight into my prescribed pressure. You appear to have a range of pressures though with the lowest at 5. Even if ramp is set starting at 4, it wouldn't make much difference for you turning it off. I think the lowest pressure machines go is 4. Possibly your doctor could give you a different start pressure higher than 5.

Good luck with your continued therapy. Keep asking questions. There are many here that can give encouragement, advice, tips, etc. It is a valuable place to come for help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome I still get that feeling every night right when I turn the machine on. Just for the first couple of breaths. I would make sure to turn the a-flex on. Helps make breathing feel more natural. I have been using my machine for a month and love it. Never though I would look forward to putting my mask on every night. Hang in there it gets better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dragonflyshell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take a bit of getting used to. Since you aren't overly disturbed about that smothery feeling, you might just want to keep on doing what you are doing, you will eventually get used to it.
Maybe it would help you to set up during the evening and mask up and use the machine while you watch tv.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Dragonflyshell,
WELCOME! to the forum.! Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
I too had this issue, when I was first setup with my machine. The pressure in the mask was so intense it was like facing into the wind at 80 mph, and trying to breathe. I had them try a medium mask, instead of a small, and that feeling went away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the welcome. Glad I have a supportive group for questions. I know the respiratory therapist that works at the medical supply shop is supposed to contact me tomorrow to see how I'm doing so I will mention the smothering feeling. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,310 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 474 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 973 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 290 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,651 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.