Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to cpap and can't seem to adapt
RE: New to cpap and can't seem to adapt
(04-25-2018, 07:50 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 04:21 PM)Susan1962 Wrote: Hello. I just started using a cpap machine and am not adapting very well. It feels suffocating and claustrophobic and I am not happy about having to use a machine. Any replies would be great. 

Can you tell us a little more about the machine? Is it the AutoSet model of the AirSense 10? Are you using the Ramp setting? If so what is the Ramp Start pressure? Getting the ramp and ramp start pressure right can go a long way to addressing the claustrophobic feeling.

That's a good point.  For Susan1962's benefit:  Another thing that could be very important is to be sure that EPR, exhalation pressure relief, is switched on.  There are three possible settings, 1 through 3, indicating the delta pressure on exhalation: 1 through 3 cm H2O.  I'm also a newbie, and in my case that made a big difference in my tolerance for the treatment.  Don't hesitate to go into the machine's "clinician settings" and change that, if it's not already enabled, and try it out.  If it is enabled but it's set to 1, then try 2 or 3.

I noticed that as early as could be, before I had a machine of my own, as soon as I put the mask on at the beginning of the second phase of my sleep study.  The initial setting there was EPR=0, which I immediately knew wasn't right for me; exhaling seemed like a lot of work even at low pressures.  I managed to put up with it for the duration of the study, but I wouldn't choose that EPR=0 setting voluntarily.

But what really overrides everything else where tolerance is concerned is the choice of mask.  If you don't have a major problem with mouth-breathing while using CPAP, so that you don't need a full-face mask, then definitely try the nasal and nasal-pillows types of mask.  I suggest trying nasal-pillows first, and if you have any problem with that, there are non-pillow nasal masks that cover the entire nose (example: Resmed Mirage FX) and at least one type that's much lighter and less obtrusive, Philips Respironics Dreamwear Nasal, that is somewhat more similar to the nasal-pillows kind and fits under the nose with minimal weight and pressure.  The Dreamwear can be converted between "nasal" and "gel pillows" by changing one part, the cushion, which costs about $20, so with that one it's easy to try both.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to cpap and can't seem to adapt
Welcome to the journey.. 

Like others, I have had a similar start to yours, and they are pointing you in the right directions of what to address to become more comfortable with your machine. 

Don't expect instant results, also expect ups and downs in AHI numbers you achieve, this is all normal for the way it goes. 

It will all come together with fine tuning, then you will find it will all be routine once you settle in to using it each night. 

Pressure and mask adjustments are things that you will fiddle with for a while most likely.. but again, it will come together in the end. 

Hang in there, and don't hesitate to ask questions as you learn more about how it all works.

Cheers, 
Ock.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 484 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  [Pressure] aircurve 10 asv constantly corrects me and i can't adapt Emtvalenti 7 681 05-11-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Treatment] Air curve Asv CPAP mode vs AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP mode (I don't adapt autoasv) Emtvalenti 0 399 05-07-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Emtvalenti
  Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV vs VPAP ST stanleyjack 4 468 04-05-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  s9 Adapt adjustments desertscorpion 3 574 02-23-2022, 01:54 PM
Last Post: desertscorpion
  Settings on ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt fdashiell 1 982 10-06-2020, 12:58 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Scuba diving makes it easier to adapt to CPAP mask? hearsay73 16 3,051 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM
Last Post: farnsy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.