Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to cpap and the board
New to cpap and the board
I'm a newbie here to cpap . I drive a truck for a living and I'm currently out of work because they said I'm not compliant I'm only at 67% over 4 hrs and I need to be at 70% usage and my ahi is 22.1 and needs to be less than 18.9 in order to get my medical card back so I can go back to work
I have had days where my events per hr are 4-5 but lately it's always 25-40 events a hr. I'm on the resmed auto set 10

Min pressure is 6.6
Max pressure is 9.0
Ramp time is off
Epr is on at level 3
Humidity level is 1. I don't like much
My ahi is 22.1
Total ai is 21.6
Central is 5
How do you come up with the ahi number. I was reading some of the other post and don't understand the formula and how it came to the ahi number
I'm still new to this and don't really know what the numbers mean or how I get my numbers down. Any help in the right direction would be great . I do know that I need to get my ahi down to at least 18.9 so I can go back to work .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to cpap and the board
Welcome
I know where your coming from. I was frustrated when I came to the forum in January. I have found it very helpful.

Please look at you equipment and put as much information as you can into you profile. It helps the membersadvise if they know what machine and mask you are using.

Here is the link to where you question is answered in the "Wiki" (icon at top of this page) You will many answers in the Wiki

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=AHI

Here is the text from that link
The Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) is used as a measure of the severity of the condition known as sleep apnea. The AHI is the sum of the number of apneas (pauses in breathing) plus the number of hypopneas (periods of shallow breathing) that occur, on average, each hour. To count in the index apneas and hypopneas, collectively called events, must have a duration of at least 10 seconds.

The AHI, as with the separate Apnea Index and Hypopnea Index, is calculated by dividing the number of events by the number of hours of sleep

Sleep-well
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Frustrated1,
How long have you been on CPAP therapy?
What has changed to cause your AHI to go from 4-5 per hour to 25-40 per hour? That's is a pretty big jump.

Minimum compliance rules are as follows:
Must use CPAP a minimum of 4 hours a day, 70% of the time, for 30 consecutive days within the first 90-day period.
Must also have a face to face Doctor Appointment after the first 31 days, but before the 90-day period is up.

What mask are your using? Could it be an improper fit, or are you having high leaks that cause you not to use your machine?
Are you sleeping well or taking medications? There are a lot of variables that cause us not to get a good nights sleep.

As far as your AHI, your goal should be 5 or under. This is considered treated, not 18.9.

The AHI is the sum of the number of apneas (pauses in breathing) plus the number of hypopneas (periods of shallow breathing) that occur, on average, each hour. To count in the index apneas and hypopneas, collectively called events, must have a duration of at least 10 seconds.

The AHI is calculated by dividing the total number of events by the number of hours of sleep

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So my machine said I had 31.1 events/hr last night and I slept 4:30 with the mask on so what would be my number
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 09:28 AM)Frustrated1 Wrote: So my machine said I had 31.1 events/hr last night and I slept 4:30 with the mask on so what would be my number

Are you reading this from ResScan software or from the CPAP display?
What does ResScan say your AHI is? If the display on your cpap says 31.1 event per hour, then your AHI is 31.1.

Download the SleepyHead software, and then let us know what the AHI is, your pressure settings, and the 90% pressure reading.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume your reference to 18.9 is because you job is tied to the FMCSA’s Sleep Apnea Rule. It is a bit confusing because they adhear to what I would call a "OPEN" interpretation of sleep science.
I know many truckers who got their job back when the demonstrated AHI<15.

The number OpalRose mentioned of AHI <5 is what I refer to as the "tight control" interpretation of sleep science. Which is the one advocated by the majority of the postings in this forum.

From a Personal heath standpoint, I agree with OpalRose <5 is a heathier number than <18.9. but so is <10.

The big questions you want to focus on as you drive the AHI down and the compliance percentage up are: How do you feel?. What are you symptoms?. Are they improving with therapy

Coffee
(06-04-2016, 08:57 AM)Frustrated1 Wrote: I'm still new to this and don't really know what the numbers mean or how I get my numbers down. Any help in the right direction would be great . I do know that I need to get my ahi down to at least 18.9 so I can go back to work .

(06-04-2016, 09:21 AM)OpalRose Wrote: As far as your AHI, your goal should be 5 or under. This is considered treated, not 18.9.

Post Reply Post Reply

Welcome to the forum Frustrated1,
How long have you been on CPAP therapy?
What has changed to cause your AHI to go from 4-5 per hour to 25-40 per hour? That's is a pretty big jump.

I've been on it for 46 days My numbers started high like 50 events a hr and slowly came down to 4-5 for about 6 days then suddenly went back up right to 40 events hr overnight . I take no medications of any kind .

[b]Minimum compliance rules are as follows:
Must use CPAP a minimum of 4 hours a day, 70% of the time, for 30 consecutive days within the first 90-day period.
Must also have a face to face Doctor Appointment after the first 31 days, but before the 90-day period is up

.im almost there I'll have 70% in a few days after some of my old days fall off and I get about 4 hrs for 70%. I've had the meeting but I still need to get my ahi down
Below 18.9

What mask are your using? Could it be an improper fit, or are you having high leaks that cause you not to use your machine?
Are you sleeping well or taking medications? There are a lot of variables that cause us not to get a good nights sleep.

I'm using the full mask I had the dream station but had severe leaks so I changed . I sleep good. I get up feeling refreshed now for the first time in years and can stay awake all day without feeling tired . I don't take any meds at all

As far as your AHI, your goal should be 5 or under. This is considered treated, not 18.9.

5 would be great but 18.9 will let me go back to work and support my family and pay my bills so that's first and Foremost

The AHI is the sum of the number of apneas (pauses in breathing) plus the number of hypopneas (periods of shallow breathing) that occur, on average, each hour. To count in the index apneas and hypopneas, collectively called events, must have a duration of at least 10 seconds.

The AHI is calculated by dividing the total number of events by the number of hours of sleep
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
Orangebear, thanks for the information on the difference in FMCSA's rules. I see they are more lenient.

Frustrated1,
Thanks for responding.
Would like to see some screenshots of your data. If you could download Sleepyhead software, that would give a better picture of what is going on.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

Once you have 8 posts, you can use imgur to upload a screenshot.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

There are a lot of knowledgable folk here on Apnea Board, and will be able to help you. Need to get your AHI down, compliance up, so you can get back to work. It may be something simple as adjusting your pressure.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Frustrated1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
we need data Smile, but there should not be a problem with getting you below 18 and wearing the mask long enough at night.

1. your CA is much lower than you AHI-this indicates that the CPAP therapy is not causing your CA's-this is good
2. with the number of events you are having I would guess that your pressure needs to be raised-need to see the data and then we can suggest/advise
3. why are you taking the mask off-leaks waking you up? feel like you can't get enough air? feeling congested? lots of reasons to target, what is your reason?

on the lower right of the front of your machine it will give more detail about which ResMed machine you have, tell us all it says there. AirSense Auto, AirCurve..... what?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,338 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 499 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,671 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 644 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Information [Mod Note] Do you want us to know when you die? [Apnea Board Postmortem Form] SuperSleeper 15 5,544 08-07-2023, 06:30 PM
Information [Admin Note] Apnea Board now operating under SSL encryption SuperSleeper 3 1,686 06-09-2023, 11:48 PM
  Hi…I’m new to this board Restingjess 3 948 01-22-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Restingjess

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.