Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to cpap, confused by names
New to cpap, confused by names
I will be getting my first cpap on the 23rd. I am trying to do research beforehand. The DME says that they want to give me a "System One Auto IQ 60 series." For the life of me I can't match that up with anything on any of the cpap sales sites, not exactly, and there are machines with confusing names that are almost but not quite the same. On one site I see the "PR System One REMstar 60 series Pro (DS460S)" which looks like a good machine, then on another site I see "Philips Respironics DS460HS System One REMstar CPAP with Auto IQ feature."

This is a titrating machine? But I already had a titration study done and my pressure is 8. Why would they give me a titrating machine?

Then I see PR System One REMstar Pro with C-Flex is recommended on Mask Arrayed. But the Auto IQ isn't. OK I'm going to end this post because I can no longer think. If anyone can help me I'd be so grateful. I want to go in to my appointment knowing what I want. I am pretty sure I want a Wisp mask, but the machine information has me bogged down.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to cpap, confused by names
Hi fractalice,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a link with great information on which CPAP machines to buy and which ones to avoid. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2015, 10:29 AM)fractalice Wrote: I will be getting my first cpap on the 23rd. I am trying to do research beforehand. The DME says that they want to give me a "System One Auto IQ 60 series." For the life of me I can't match that up with anything on any of the cpap sales sites, not exactly, and there are machines with confusing names that are almost but not quite the same. On one site I see the "PR System One REMstar 60 series Pro (DS460S)" which looks like a good machine, then on another site I see "Philips Respironics DS460HS System One REMstar CPAP with Auto IQ feature."

This is a titrating machine? But I already had a titration study done and my pressure is 8. Why would they give me a titrating machine?

Then I see PR System One REMstar Pro with C-Flex is recommended on Mask Arrayed. But the Auto IQ isn't. OK I'm going to end this post because I can no longer think. If anyone can help me I'd be so grateful. I want to go in to my appointment knowing what I want. I am pretty sure I want a Wisp mask, but the machine information has me bogged down.

Hi fractalice,
I believe you should be looking at the PR System One REMstar 60 Series Auto CPAP with AFlex.
The newest Models are 560 Series. If the DME wants to give you a DS460, don't accept it. I have no idea what the IQ feature is, but I would either have my Dr. write
a script stating specifically what you want or call the DME and tell them yourself. They will try to give you an older model to up their profits, because the insurance will pay them the same no matter what model you get. Also ask for a heated humidifier with a heated hose.
I didn't find this Forum until after my DME gave me a used machine and a heated
humidifier without a heated hose. After reading the posts on this site, I called my Dr. and DME and told them what I wanted. They did switch out my machine to the model I wanted after many phone calls. Also the Auto machine is best because you can set the pressure in a range even though you are titrated at a pressure of 8. I was titrated at a pressure of 9, but my Auto CPAP sometimes goes up to 10.
Good luck with your therapy.
:I-love-Apnea-Board

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
you may be just fine with this, assuming you get the latest version (with heated humidifier and heated hose.) This is a CPAP (meaning it will normally operate a one given pressure) with C-Flex. It does have a provision for doing up to 30 days of titration as some point to re-evaluate the set point. Then the point is set, and it becomes a CPAP again. This model has data capability, so you should be able to see data readouts.

Your physician may have wanted you to have a changeable machine, hence not a straight CPAP.

I still think it is better to have an Auto (APAP).
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the replies. I just don't know enough to know if I need an APAP or a CPAP. Someone in a Facebook group said that some people do better with the fixed setting. I just don't know how I would know something like that in advance. I don't know how people (like me with zero experience) go in to the DME knowing exactly what they want. So I'm collecting these little clues, like get 560, not 460, get a heated hose in addition to a heated humidifier, and make sure it has data. I have this premonition of me at the DME fussing, surrounded by a dozen machines all with nearly identical names. I think they would give me what I want, and my insurance will cover it and I'm told the prescription is open-ended, but what do I want? Luckily I have ten more days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I just received a note that says my doctor ordered REMSTAR IQ or s9 elite. I know that s9 elite is a good machine, but REMSTAR IQ covers a range of models as I understand it.
Post Reply Post Reply
In your first post you mention that you had a titration study and your pressure is 8, so why would I need APAP.

Your sleep study was a snapshot in time, at this moment in your life, and under the conditions of a sleep lab. Your pressure needs will probably change in time, and in a single night. The advantage of an Auto CPAP is that you can set the pressure low enough for comfort and it will automatically raise the pressure if necessary to stop apneas and hypopneas in different stages of sleep and for changes in your health.

With APAP, we try to set the minimum pressure at a level that prevents most events, but the data recording that those units provide, and the changes in pressure they make can give you great insight into your therapy that a static pressure machine simply can't provide.

So instead of a future $3000 sleep study to find out about the effectiveness of your therapy, or to titrate you for a change, the auto simply does it at home for free. You can set the APAP for a single pressure, or set it at a range of pressures, and let it cope with events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2015, 11:58 AM)fractalice Wrote: Thank you all for the replies. I just don't know enough to know if I need an APAP or a CPAP. Someone in a Facebook group said that some people do better with the fixed setting. I just don't know how I would know something like that in advance. I don't know how people (like me with zero experience) go in to the DME knowing exactly what they want. So I'm collecting these little clues, like get 560, not 460, get a heated hose in addition to a heated humidifier, and make sure it has data. I have this premonition of me at the DME fussing, surrounded by a dozen machines all with nearly identical names. I think they would give me what I want, and my insurance will cover it and I'm told the prescription is open-ended, but what do I want? Luckily I have ten more days.

I have an auto CPAP that I use as a fixed pressure CPAP. The advantage to and auto machine is that it can be used on either fixed pressure CPAP mode or in auto mode. I use the auto mode on occasion to check that I my fixed pressure setting is still optimum.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use my S9 AutoSet as a single pressure CPAP machine and check occasionally to see if I'm doing well by using the SleepyHead software.

After my initial acclimation to the pressure, I found that a single constant pressure was more comfortable than having it auto-range all night long.

I suppose an AutoSet machine wouldn't be necessary if you had a competent respiratory clinician helping you on a timely basis. That's a big IF though and hard to come by. The wise choice is an AutoSet machine, just in case it's needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2015, 12:07 PM)fractalice Wrote: Oh I just received a note that says my doctor ordered REMSTAR IQ or s9 elite. I know that s9 elite is a good machine, but REMSTAR IQ covers a range of models as I understand it.

Hi fractal ice,

Yes, that is common.

To get the better machine, I suggest you will need to put on your "assertive" hat and ask your doctor to change the prescription so that it includes a range for pressure (meaning, a "Min Pressure" setting and a "Max Pressure" setting, even if the range is very small such as only 1 cmH2O), and be sure that your prescription includes a heated tube.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused and frustrated - question about F&P Evora NewlyDiagnosed 11 229 04-10-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [CPAP] New to cpap, lost and confused Sophia 4 122 04-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 331 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 397 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,142 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 776 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 542 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.