Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to cpap, confused by names
RE: New to cpap, confused by names
If an autoset machine is so much better and only trivially more expensive, why do doctors prescribe a cpap at all?

I have asked a nurse to mail me a copy of my prescription so I can finally see it, since I've been given three different versions of it over the phone.

Alice
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a copy of your sleep study with data points. Good you are getting your script. If the script doesn't have specifics that says dispense as written, I would decide on what machine you want and ask your doc to write another script with exactly what machine you want, humidifier and heated hose with mask of your choice and all supplies and DISPENSE AS WRITTEN

If you decide to go with a Resmed machine, there is a new one out (I think it is the A10???). You may do fine with straight pressure but with an autoset, you can set it to a pressure range just in case you need a little more pressure (or a little less pressure) at various times during the night. YOu are getting more bang for the buck. Stay away from the S9 Escape (look at the name of the machine under the power button for the Resmed).
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I have a copy of my sleep study and my titration study, the complete reports. I stop breathing an average of 6 times an hour, however during REM sleep it's 40 times an hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2015, 07:42 PM)fractalice Wrote: Yeah I have a copy of my sleep study and my titration study, the complete reports. I stop breathing an average of 6 times an hour, however during REM sleep it's 40 times an hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't be sure, but thinking now it looks like I have nightmarish dreams during the general time I am getting heavy concentrations of apneas. the home tests, as well as the PAP machines, do not show when you are having certain phases of sleep. but, in your situation you do have those results which show where in your sleep cycle you need PAP treatment.

Good luck!
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
So Fractal, what happened? You still with us? How are you doing?

The Manse Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 01:13 AM)TheManseHen Wrote: So Fractal, what happened? You still with us? How are you doing?

The Manse Hen

Hi, yes, I had to go to the mat to fight for the machine I decided I wanted. The DME the doctor's office had recommended refused to get that machine for me, so I found another DME that takes my insurance and will work with me (as a bonus, the new DME is much closer to where I live). It took weeks to get the doctor's office to fax them the info they needed. The cpap is on order and may be in tomorrow. I had decided I wanted the Airsense AutoSet for Her and that's what I'm getting. I have watched the YouTube videos for this machine and I have only one question...people have said that you can take a machine like this and have it be either cpap or apap, and I didn't see in the videos where the option for that is.

Alice
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 09:54 AM)fractalice Wrote: I have watched the YouTube videos for this machine and I have only one question...people have said that you can take a machine like this and have it be either cpap or apap, and I didn't see in the videos where the option for that is.

Alice

This option is set under the Clinician menu. The CPAP is a single pressure whereas the APAP allows for treatment pressures to vary within a set range.

There are links to download the Clinician manual on this site.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2015, 10:48 AM)sgearhart Wrote: This option is set under the Clinician menu. The CPAP is a single pressure whereas the APAP allows for treatment pressures to vary within a set range.

There are links to download the Clinician manual on this site.

Thank you. Sent an email for it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
fractalice,
Happy to hear that you are getting the machine you want. When you get the Clinician manual, follow directions to get into setting. In that menu, it will give you the option as to whether to set it up as CPAP or AUTO.
It's crazy the way we have to fight for what we want. With the DME's, the bottom line is how much profit can they make. Insurance will pay the same for CPAP or AUTO, so if you get an AUTO machine, they don't make as much!
Good luck.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 717 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 526 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 466 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  DreamStation 1 Menu Names? Dolfan 7 577 07-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Dolfan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.