Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to cpap therapy
New to cpap therapy
Hello, I've been getting used to cpap therapy for the last 2 and a half months and havn't had a lot of positive change until recently. I had an awful time keeping my mask on until about a month and a half into therapy when my pressure was changed to a fixed pressure and I finally started getting 6+ hours of sleep with it on instead of taking it off after 1 or 2 hours.

I changed from pillows to a full mask last night and felt a lot better the next morning, (the pillows dry my mouth out very bad in the morning), however my AHI seems to have increased quite a bit. For some more context, my AHI without therapy was 80.

If I've uploaded it correctly, the first attachment should be with the pillows and the second with the full face mask.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to cpap therapy
(10-29-2021, 12:34 PM)Bloodtrust Wrote: If I've uploaded it correctly, the first attachment should be with the pillows and the second with the full face mask.

Both your charts show that you are using a pillow mask. (see machine settings)

Did you forget to change the mask setting on the A10 to FullFace? That could be some of the problem.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2021, 01:10 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Both your charts show that you are using a pillow mask.  (see machine settings)

Did you forget to change the mask setting on the A10 to FullFace?  That could be some of the problem.

Ah yes, it looks like I forgot to switch the setting on the machine when I changed masks last night, thanks for pointing that out. Is there a large difference in therapy with that setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the mask setting changes the PAP anticipation to leaks, pressure needs are tweaked a bit due to more dead air space in a full face, something like that.

What I notice in your charts is that the first one with lower AHI has too high a leak rate. Accuracy in event flags will suffer with high levels of leaking. Your second chart has lower leaks and higher events as the PAP can track events more accurate.

ResMed leak redline is 24, so anything above it means your therapy is hindered.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for looking over my data, I'll change over to the full face mask setting on the machine and see if it helps things for a a few nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the Resmed f30 for the last few nights now, however now I'm having really bad leaks with this mask coming out at the cheeks and sometimes out of the nasal portion directed towards my eyes. My process has been to seat the mask on my face, turn on the mask fit and adjust the straps until the leaking stops and then turn on normal therapy, but if I move at all from the position of laying on my back, or even move my chin down too far towards my chest it  almost immediately starts leaking out near my cheeks and when this happens ill adjust the strap on the side thats leaking only to have it start leaking again over and over until the mask is so tight that its leaking because it's too tight. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes to get the fit right with no leaks but I always wake up with air blowing out the side or into my eyes.

I really like this mask and it was perfectly fine the first few nights with no leaks at all so I'm not too sure what's happened because nothing has changed, I'm daily shaven and wash my face before bed. Since this started I purchased some cpap wipes for the outside of the mask thinking that would help on top of the weekly cleaning but they don't seem to have made any difference.

I've included sleep data for the last 2 nights. Any suggestions as to how I can make this work would be much appreciated since this mask was quite expensive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Are you lying back, as in your sleep position, when you are adjusting the mask?

Second, when you get your mask straps adjusted so your leaks are controlled, you need not adjust the straps every time you put the mask on.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2021, 06:43 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Are you lying back, as in your sleep position, when you are adjusting the mask?

Second, when you get your mask straps adjusted so your leaks are controlled, you need not adjust the straps every time you put the mask on.

I'm laying on my back when I adjust the straps, and I find I have to adjust it every time I put the mask on because there always seems to be a small leak right at the start.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you SURE you have the right cushion size? The larger size may be harder to seal because there is more surface area to be sealed. Not a certainty, but certainly a possibility. May be worth spending a few bucks on AMA*** to get a smaller cushion size as an experiment.

Separate comment -- When I first tried the P10 pillow mask, I had the feeling that air was being forced up my nose, so abandoned the pillow. A few months later, I tried the Brevida pillow mask -- and loved it. Was it the mask or was it the passage of time or was it my getting used to PAP therapy. Hard to say, but it worked for me. Getting the right mask is the largest part of the PAP battle, n my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,058 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 250 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,261 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,333 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,194 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.