Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to forum have a question
New to forum have a question
I'm 44 male been using cpap for 3 months at least 6hrs a night usually 7 my AHI at sleep clinic was 33. I use the following equipment Resmed Airsense 10, Resmed Airfit 20 full mask, my pressure is 9. First 2 months noticed I had a bad sore throats my humidity level was on 4. Then about a month ago I turned humidity to 6 and would warm up machine before I went to bed seemed to do the trick. Then I got fancy and got a heated climate line air kept everything on auto climate control and tube temp woke up 2 straight days sore throat not as bad as before but noticeable then I adjusted tube temp like to 81 I think and had rainout last 2 nights.  My question is what should climate control and tube temp be set at. Shouldn't heated tube be  better then original tube
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to forum have a question
I'm a new to cpap as well.  Just got a ResMed Airsense 10 for Her at end of June and use a Dreamsense Nasal mask.  My AHI was 66.  My husband also has OSA (dx over 7 yrs ago) and uses a Respironics bipap machine but he started with a Fisher & Paykel cpap machine.  While I was waiting on insurance authorization for my machine, he was able to set his old cpap machine to my rx 7cm pressure and get me started mid June.  I had read up on the importance of moisture and I certainly didn't want to get dried out nasal passages as I was already prone to occasional nose bleeds, so like you, I bumped the heat setting up to get more moisture. Result...rain out.  Now that of course was with an older system without a heated tube.  But with any system, i'ts live and learn.  You have to think of the dynamics of temperature differences between your system and the air around you.  Right now, being summer we are running A.C. and so air temp is probably lower than the 81 degrees your system is running so that cooler air condenses some of your moistened air in your tubing. Once I lowered the heat & balanced things out, no more problems with condensation and I don't feel like I'm getting too dry either (either with hubby's old cpap while I used it, or with new Air Sense 10 for Her which does have heated tube as well).  I have also seen you can get a  "snuggy" like blanket for your tubing as another way to insulate the tube from the temperature differences and help prevent condensation if you really need the higher heat/moisture level.  Good luck to you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
When you changed to manual settings using a humidity level of 6 and tube temperature of 81, you cancelled the automatic controls that prevent condensation, and incidentally you also greatly increased the humidity level that it was suppressing in automatic mode. I think in most cases, you can use a manual setting at 5 for humidity with your 81 tube temperature and experience a very high level of humidity. At 6 you might need a higher tube temperature if your room is cool. As humidity levels drop, so can the tube temperatures. I tend to run lower humidity and tube temperatures in summer, but it's a matter of personal choice, and some trial and error. Keep in mind manual mode produces higher humidity than similar settings in auto. I am currently using manual at 3 and tube at 72F. I find excess humidity results in congestion.

I use a fleece cover (Snugglehose) over the Climateline hose. This not only prevents condensation, but it makes contact with the hose much more comfortable and less disruptive. It's a great investment in comfort for under $20.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rainout is a product of physics when cool air and warm air intermingle.  When warm air encounters cooler air, the warmer air cannot carry the humidity and it falls out like rain.  Warm air can carry more humidity than cool air.  To keep your moisture up where you are having rain out, you can add a hose cover for extra insulation and keep the temp differences insulated, drop the level of humidity or make sure you machine is lower than your mask (then rainout will drain back to the humidifier).  You can also make your room warmer to compensate.  Climate control hoses are much better than non heated, but sometimes you can still get rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback. 1 question about the climate hose I can wash that like the regular hose right? Even though it's got that thing that plugs into back of machine is that alright to get wet?
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, you can. just try not to get the electrical connection wet.
Post Reply Post Reply
made to get wet, so go for it. also, made to be used dry, so dry the water droplets off it (the electric conductors) before plugging it back in.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Teddysjam,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It doesn’t hurt to get the connector on the end of your hose wet, jus dry it before you put it back on your machine and it’ll be ok.
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I submerge my entire climate line hose in water when I wash it. I've never had any problems with it. Like the other posters I use a hose cover which, along with setting to Auto, does tame the rainout issue.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,583 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,701 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.