Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to forum, not to apnea, but still need help with some basics, is there a primer?
RE: New to forum, not to apnea, but still need help with some basics, is there a primer?
My numbers average for the last year on resscan software are AHI 4.6 Leak 32.4 on home machine this machine is the one I try different masks on, AHI 2.7 Leak 25.2 on weekend machine that has EPR on. Could someone post a good chart so I could see real numbers that are working for someone to try to get mine down to that. And the question is which settings should I fool with to try to get results.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to forum, not to apnea, but still need help with some basics, is there a primer?
It looks to me like your leaks are not under control. You need to look at the actual leak graph and see if there are times when it spikes up. I suspect that you are mouth-leaking, or perhaps your mask is leaking. Have you ever tried nasal pillows? Do you wear a chinstrap?

I don't know what happens to the leak data when you take the mask off while the machine is still running. That's why I always turn mine off before I remove the mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am confused. You say you have two machines. One is at a vacation home. Then you say you don't use it when away because you don't want to pack it. Then you say you use one for testing masks.

I am in no way calling you a liar. I am just confused.

It is a good thing you have two machines. Each night you go without it, that's one night where damage is being done.

Why do you use a different machine to test masks? You are introducing too many variables.

You probably said this already but I'll ask anyway. Are you sleeping the whole night? Then waking up feeling lousy?

There's a thing called sleep debt. I don't think it would be a year to get over it but if you are introducing a lot of variables, it could be that you are still paying it back.

What mask do you use? Specifically, the name of the mask.
What type of masks have you tried? Have you ever tried a chin strap?
Do you sleep alone? If not, does your bed partner say you still snore?
Are the pressures of the two machines set exactly the same? Same EPR? Same humidity? Same pressures?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2012, 09:28 PM)jimco1 Wrote: And the question is which settings should I fool with to try to get results.
Adjust humidity settings to preference ... Its a comfort setting - turn it up if you like more
[Climate control on auto mode settings protects against rainout]
Chinstrap can minimize mouth leaks which maybe what causing the dry lips as the air escape between the lips
Ramp: Turn off if you,re using
EPR settings: Turn up, down or OFF ... see if you prefer one setting
Adjust start pressure as the minimum pressure (if its any different)
Pressure range setting: First get leaks under control and then you can fine tune if needed.
You have talked about dry mouth and lips, How about the nose ...any stuffiness or congested?
Its vitally important that the mask fits, seal properly and is comfortable to wear for CPAP therapy to be successful

Post Reply Post Reply
Jim,

Congratualations on having two machines. In one of your posts you mention the "one with EPR on." I'd recommend that you make sure the two machines are configured identically, every parameter. You want your body to get used to one set of breathing challenges. Changing things, even EPR, could confuse your body "learning" how to adapt.

From the tables/graphs you've posted we can tell a few things.

Your usage is generally good. I know you have two machines, but the ResScan chart shows usage nights with only a couple hours and I'm assuming you didn't change machines in the middle of the night. Try to use your xPAP every night and even during naps.

Your AHI is in the target range (<5), so the machine is being effective in this area. Most of your events appear to be hypopneas, reduced breathing but not totally stopping. Again, a good thing. See below that your leakage may be affecting this reading!

Your pressure is nearly flat line. I'd take this chart to your doctor and discuss putting the machine in CPAP mode at 14 - 15 cmH2O. You just don't have a spread, at least over the timeframe of this data.

Your leak rate is too high! Resmed recommends unintentional leakage to be <24 l/min to ensure maximum therapy efficiency. Work on this area, try different masks, etc. Leaks this high can also affect the ability of the software to detect events. Your AHI numbers may not be accurate.

Lastly, be careful how frequently you are changing your pressure setup. The consensus is usually a minimum of 14 days to evaluate any pressure change.

Now, I'm not a doctor. I think you should discuss all of the above with someone who is.

Sorry you're not feeling better, but others have already commented on sleep debt, etc. and, to be honest, most of us have at least one other health issue. xPAP is not a treatment for everything.

Keep up with your good work!
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason I have 2 machines is 5 days a week I am at my main home and there I have the machine set up by my provider and since I am on this machine 5 nights a week I use this one to try different masks I have made no changes to this machine other that the pressure settings recommended by doctor. 2nd my machine is at a home I own on lake that I am usually at on weekends that is the used machine I bought so I would not have to pack up home machine every weekend. The EPR setting on this one must have been left on by former owner I did not notice until I got software last week to read machines. I did not think when I 1st approached my doctor with being tired issues that sleep was my problem he bought that up and sent me for the sleep studies they said that was my problem. I like a lot of others have many more problems high blood pressure, fat, high cholesterol but all these are now under control so the several doctors I have seen blame sleep on my being tired all the time I do not buy that but what can I do but try to make it better. To the good news last night I changed my max pressure to 15 from 16 changed EPR to 3 from 2 and had 1st night in forever where I never got up for anything and my numbers this morning were AHI 2.9, 95% pressure 12.7, leaks 95% 10.8 max 20.4 so maybe all this is starting to go in right direction. I have gotten home and already set up home machine to same numbers. Now to questions. Zonk: You have talked about dry mouth and lips, How about the nose ...any stuffiness or congested? yes Paula02: I am confused. You say you have two machines. One is at a vacation home. Then you say you don't use it when away because you don't want to pack it. Then you say you use one for testing masks. I hope above post explains most of this when I say I do not pack one that is only when I go away from either home for a few days like to my daughter's home or to the beach. What mask do you use? Specifically, the name of the mask. Resmed mirage nasal fx preferred mask. What type of masks have you tried? Have you ever tried a chin strap? Resmed quatro full face, Resmed nasal pillows, last week numbers on home machine were with respronics true blue nasal and several other full face masks I have no problem falling asleep with any mask just problems with leaking. yes I have tried chin straps. Do you sleep alone? If not, does your bed partner say you still snore? No, and not as much snoring according to her not sure how she could hear me over her snoring. Are the pressures of the two machines set exactly the same? Same EPR? Same humidity? Same pressures? no, no, no and no but both are now. jdireton: Your usage is generally good. I know you have two machines, but the ResScan chart shows usage nights with only a couple hours and I'm assuming you didn't change machines in the middle of the night. Try to use your xPAP every night and even during naps. some times when I have had to get up at night I have left mask off rest of night some of that due to some of the masks I have tried being unconformable and some of the times being lazy about putting them back on.
Is there a place on this forum where some members have posted good summaries or good charts so us newbie's could see the numbers we need to strive for as far as the results that are working for other people?
Sorry I did not answer questions before forum would not allow me to said I had exceeded limit of 7 posts per 24hrs. Do not like that at all and that is the reason I put all this in 1 post, and also sorry if I ramble on but making sentences simple and to the point is impossible for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2012, 04:16 PM)jimco1 Wrote: Zonk: You have talked about dry mouth and lips, How about the nose ...any stuffiness or congested? yes
What have you tried? BTW Congrats on getting leaks under control
Usually I turn up humidity on cold nights and use Neilmed Sinus Rinse (recommended for CPAP users) whenever feel congested
[Image: slide_srkit.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not tried anything for congestion never dawned on me it was related to machine till I read it here this week so once I see how it goes with all this new info I will try rinse I have a box on hand left over from last cold. I do not have heated hose do you think this would help. As far as leaks under control I will have to see if that holds up because all I really did was change EPR setting and lower pressure 1 Lb used same mask so will see how it goes from here I really hope this starts to work for me because what I read I am in the minority for it not working.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2012, 08:22 PM)jimco1 Wrote: I have not tried anything for congestion never dawned on me it was related to machine till I read it here this week so once I see how it goes with all this new info I will try rinse I have a box on hand left over from last cold. I do not have heated hose do you think this would help.
Definitely its the best thing since sliced bread
On auto mode you can adjust temp to preference and it protects against rainout...Set and Forget
[Image: img_climatelinetube.jpg]
http://www.s9morecomfort.com/s9morecomfo...ntrol.html

Post Reply Post Reply
A heated hose is only useful if you are using the humidifier. It helps prevent 'rainout'.

I understand now about the two machines. Thanks for clarifying.

Now that the two machines are the same, leave the settings alone for a few weeks. The S9 Autoset is a good machine. Your AHI of 2.9 is excellent! Congrats!

And like you have found out, the mask is the hardest part. Sometimes you know a mask is not going to work in just one night. Other times, you need a little bit more time. Have you talked to the supplier about the mask issues? Probably have as you tried all these masks.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Oh, nearly forgot two things.
1 - have you had your thyroid levels checked?

and 2 - the post limitation is to prevent spammers from joining then posting a bunch of "Hey, that's great!" kind of posts until they get enough that they can then post links. Yes, it can be a pain in the butt for 'real' people but it works. If interested, this post discusses the membership levels.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-explained
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 273 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 190 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 686 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,586 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,741 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Help to validate my understanding of the basics of CPAP Albatros 6 516 04-22-2023, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.