Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Health: The Two Evils
RE: Health: The Two Evils
(03-31-2012, 09:08 PM)Netskier Wrote: Ibuprofen (Advil) is very toxic to the kidneys however, so you should ask an informed doctor how far you can increase the dose. My ski buddy said that average men could take 14 pills per day, and women 12. This is hearsay of hearsay, so please take this as only an idea to investigate with someone who is current in the field. Things might have changed since then. Arthritis docs are the ones to ask, and nephrologists. Drink a lot of water in any case.

FWIW, the generally accepted maximum dosage for ibuprofen in an otherwise healthy adult is 800mg per dose up to 3200mg per day when under the care of a physician.

Outside of physicians care (OTC) the maximum recommended dose is 1200mg per day for a maximum of 10 days.

The standard tablet/capsule you will purchase in the grocery store will be 200mg each.

Note that these are general guidelines, use your own judgement, consult your doctor, and I'm NOT a doctor. [/disclaimer]
Post Reply Post Reply
I like to eat mac n cheese. I also love Safeway brand key lime sherbet, and many other foods of course. Dieting is hard. The easiest for me was eating no meet for a while. I don't like beef very much especially now that I know it has pink slim in it. I don't like to diet, so I try to make wise choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi im new here. I smoke as well. Have you noticed any extra energy by givin up the white sticks? Ive been on cpap for 6 weeks. My fatigue was at the top of the scale. Im gettingbbetter. But wonder about tge smoking.

Thanks. Chaddy
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2012, 04:49 AM)chaddy511 Wrote: Hi im new here. I smoke as well. Have you noticed any extra energy by givin up the white sticks? Ive been on cpap for 6 weeks. My fatigue was at the top of the scale. Im gettingbbetter. But wonder about tge smoking.

Chaddy, I quit smoking several decades ago. I don't remember extra energy but I do remember not getting as winded walking up stairs or hills. I had gained weight when I quit smoking but my doc told me at the time that the weight I gained was not nearly as bad as the smoking.

Good luck if you decide to quit. It often takes several attempts. As I said I quit smoking several times before I could finally turn a deaf ear to cigs calling my name. Now I need to work on turning a deaf ear to some of my bad eating habits.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2012, 04:49 AM)chaddy511 Wrote: Hi im new here. I smoke as well. Have you noticed any extra energy by givin up the white sticks? Ive been on cpap for 6 weeks. My fatigue was at the top of the scale. Im gettingbbetter. But wonder about tge smoking.

Thanks. Chaddy

i'm pretty passionate about the subject of smoking because after quitting 10 years prior, i suddenly developed lung problems that every doctor i see attributes to the smoking. i thought i was in the clear after quitting. the price of continuing is higher than you want to pay, my friend. unfortunately you may not know the price until it is too late. the fact is most people want to quit but don't have the will or a good reason. when you decide to quit, it really is as simple as laying them down. but for this to work, you have to have a good reason to quit. you have to genuinely want to quit. most people that try to quit are doing it because somebody wants them to quit or the price is too high or they heard it is bad for them, or there is pressure from work but deep down inside they don't really want to quit, if they are totally honest with themselves. i will never tell you to quit. that's a decision you have to make for yourself or you will be quitting for someone else and it will never work. do yourself a favor and quit for yourself. find a reason you can believe in and be passionate about it. it will then be easy. good luck. ps - after you quit wash everything in the house because everything stinks of old tobacco smoke. your clean linens and clothes in the closet stink. people that have quit and have cleaned up, know this.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2012, 12:33 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I like to eat mac n cheese. I also love Safeway brand key lime sherbet, and many other foods of course. Dieting is hard. The easiest for me was eating no meet for a while. I don't like beef very much especially now that I know it has pink slim in it. I don't like to diet, so I try to make wise choices.

Have you ever looked into the "Eat Right for Your Type" diets? Not a weight loss program, more of a eating right program. The 'type' is your blood type.

Type O is supposed to eat more red meat, for example. But I'm a Type AB and they aren't supposed to eat much red meat at all. I tried it when it first came out but hated it due to the meat constraints (at that time, they were only recommending turkey, rabbit, and pheasant). I never was on it long enough to find out if I felt better.

If you do look into it, ignore all the supplements that came out. They made it look like a money fad rather than something useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Motto for weight loss is burn more than you put in, simple really, as for healthy living this is where it all goes wrong. Its my partners birthday today and theres a huge birthday cake, how can I say no to a piece. I find it so hard to say no, thank god Im still quite trim.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks. Chaddy

I was a smoker when i first started treatment, still miss it, but since quitting I have found a substantial change. I do seem to have a little more energy, I don't have the coughing fits anymore, my mouth tastes better, food tastes better. And I know that is has made my CPAP therapy a lot more effective overall.
Keep up the good work.
Post Reply Post Reply
I quit smoking 10 months ago. I hate to admit it,but quitting has made a big difference in my life and lifestyle.
Although..... I have put on weight since. I joined the local walking club at our sportsplex centre, but had to resign after 6 weeks. I have arthritis in both knees , both hips and lower back which was aggravated by the pounding of my legs while walking on the track.
Damned if I do ..damned if I don't. Am still trying to lose weight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 88 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 200 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 304 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health Liteheart1 10 1,776 09-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Liteheart1
  Sleep health tips needed StillHoping 5 1,007 01-21-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: StillHoping
  [Equipment] New User DS7 Health Care Machine from Amazon mesmith9 9 1,373 01-13-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Dental Health Decline Under CPAP Use Phil7 11 1,567 09-30-2021, 09:25 AM
Last Post: NelsonM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.