Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any theories why we unconsciously remove mask?
RE: Any theories why we unconsciously remove mask?
(02-20-2015, 09:50 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I will tell you that I really like the heated hose. Do you use one? Mine seems to work great in auto mode as just set and forget.

Payton - you don't need a heated hose in the OC. You need a couple of rottweilers and a Glock. I went to high school in the OC (over 50 years ago) -- now it's a combat zone.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hahah, Glock/Rottie...OC...

PaytonA, yes, I have a heated hose and really like it. I didn't think I would as I tend to like cool air near my face in my pre-pap days, but now I find it comfortable and sort of, comforting. I have a climate line/climate air? one, and use a humidity I keep at 1 and temp on Auto which has stopped my initial rainouts. If I'm stuffy or getting a cold I might move the humidity up a bit and that too seems nice.

I am surprised anyone considers them optional.

The Toasty warm in her nose Hen.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've done it when I was extra stuffy. at a guess, you feel like you can't breathe for *some* reason and rouse just enough to rip it off. Apnea has given you practice for this!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I think many people wake up and in their groggy state decide to take the mask off. They may intend to put it back on in just a few minutes or plan to go take a potty break, and then fall back asleep. If you wake up and go immediately back to sleep without anything particularly memorable happening, you may not remember waking up in the morning.

One possible solution might be to tell yourself you absolutely will NOT take off the mask without first getting out of bed. Of course, you might not actually follow that guideline in the middle of the night.

It would be nice to have some sort of mask off detector where you had to do some sort of "drunk test" sequence of things to turn it off, or with a remote control button in another room you had to press to keep the alarm from going off. That way, you'd have to be awake to turn off the alarm.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
or make the leak alarm loud enough that it can beheard. I am a light sleeper and when I go to sleep if I have high leaks I don't hear that alarm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Can't remove cushion from Airfit F20 Lge SYS Quiet-EU4 mask. Reptile 4 574 02-26-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  How do I remove the diffuser on the F20 Quiet Air elbow? UncollapseMeThroat 6 1,436 09-28-2022, 10:58 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
Ohmy Remove bottom of humidifier? (bugs inside!) princessamethyst916 8 1,515 06-22-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 - How to quietly remove the mask Doogmeister 7 1,763 06-08-2022, 09:57 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Is there a way to manually remove flagged events from OSCAR? breathestopbreathe 2 583 04-21-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: David Clark

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.