Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the World of Apnea
Sleepyhead it is then
Sleeprider,

I had a good night last night, so I am posting the results for my first night (4/16), and then my results for last night (4/19).  Results for 4/16 were without O2 Supp.  I experimented with O2 Supp levels for the next few days and finally settled on 1.5L.  My results for last night look pretty good to my untrained eye, and I hope you can help me to understand the details of these results.

4/16            

4/19            
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to the World of Apnea
Look at the organize link in my signature.
Your statistics show that you still have some significant flow limitation and snores that were very evident on you rescan graphics. Please make sure you include those charts again see the organize link and drop the pie chart.

I'll suggest you set your min pressure to 7 and epr to 3
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Charts
Bonjour,

Thank you for the tips on charts.  I have reworked them in the order specified, but I did not have room for the snore statistics in the view.  Would you like me to drop one of the charts in favor of the snore?  Yes, I was contemplating setting the min pressure to 7, and you just made my mind up!  I have attached the revised charts below for your review.
Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Charts
(04-20-2019, 09:44 AM)High Purity Wrote: Bonjour,

Thank you for the tips on charts.  I have reworked them in the order specified, but I did not have room for the snore statistics in the view.  Would you like me to drop one of the charts in favor of the snore?  Yes, I was contemplating setting the min pressure to 7, and you just made my mind up!  I have attached the revised charts below for your review.
Thanks

Your snore statistic is fairly low so no need for the snores for now more minimum pressure should reduce snores as well
Post Reply Post Reply
I was looking at the chart and thinking, "need to raise the min to give the machine a chance of catching them" - I may just have enough knowledge now to be dangerous :-)

In seriousness..........you're doing great, keep it up, you're also getting great advice here so keep listening to these guys too

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I have been experiencing just a little air hunger at night when I lay down and start the machine, so I was contemplating raising the minimum pressure to 7 or 8.  I will try 7 tonight and see how it goes.  Problem is, perhaps I have nailed the initial decisions about machines and masks, etc., but the fine tuning is something I have no clue about.  I do not yet know how to interpret the data, other than thinking that last night looked pretty good.  I don't have a clue what "Flow Limitation" means, or how to correct it.  But, I'll get there!
Post Reply Post Reply
Event Definition Apnea, Hypopnea, Flow Limitation

• Apnea: 80% to 100% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds

• Hypopnea: 50% to 80% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds

• Flow Limitation: <50% reduction in airflow for >= 10 seconds
Simplistically you can view these as similar with successive degrees of restriction.  There can be other causes.
Treatment of Obstructive events

Apnea is treated with Exhale pressure splinting open the airway. This lays a base for further treatment. Note that with simple CPAP Exlale Pressure = Inhale Pressure = Pressure
Hypopnea, Flow Limits, and RERAs may be treated with more pressure, but it is typically more comfortable to treat with "Pressure Support" a pressure increase over the Exhale Pressure (EPAP).  With ResMed CPAP/APAP devices this can be emulated with EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred,

Thanks for the explanation of terms.  My initial approach to this has been results driven, and I appear to have made some good choices so far.  But, if and when the wheels come off, I will be SOL if I don't have a good understanding of how these things work.

Apnea, Hypopnea, and Flow Limitation essentially being the same type of event, just varying in severity, gives me a good understanding of how those terms are related.  It seems like it would be less confusing to call them all apneas, and just assign a different level of severity to each event.   Is there similar type of relationship between the terms Obstructive, Central, RERA, and Hypopnea, or are they each a separate animal?

If apnea is treated by exhaling against pressure to splint the airway, then wouldn't using the EPR feature be compromising the treatment in exchange for comfort?

Does the Resmed machine with the EPR feature actually function in a similar way to a Bipap machine?

Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
When your pressure is set in auto mode the machine raises the minimum pressure during use so the pressure drop during exhale is kept at a level to keep your airway open. You may see higher average minimum pressure average pressure when using EPR
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an inhale splint and an exhale splint, these can be the same or a different pressure. I need an exhale pressure high enough to keep my throat open, because I obstruct on exhale. A lot of people don't.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 312 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,396 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,891 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.