Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the club.. starting my thread for all my questions that are sure to come. TIA!
RE: New to the club.. starting my thread for all my questions that are sure to come. TIA!
One small correction.  You kept calling the machine an AirSense 10.  That is a model line with 4 models, including one no one here recommends.

AutoSet is the keyword and model  you should use   it removes ambiguity.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to the club.. starting my thread for all my questions that are sure to come. TIA!
Thanks for the explanation!

I get it tomorrow and am excited to see how it goes. I ordered the EnduriMed CPAP pillow as I was thinking last night, as a side sleeper, I really squish my face into the pillow. Will be interesting to see how it goes for the first couple of nights before I get the pillow.

Also, I have a big wooden head board with some notches and posts that I could hang the hose from. I figure that's a good idea due to the rain out thing, no? Or do the heated hoses remove the need for hanging the hose?

Thanks again.

So close to trying this thing!

Edit: oh and on OSCAR, there's an SD card slot on the AutoSet machine and after the first night I can just pop it into my laptop and download OSCAR, check the stats and post here for some help, correct? Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a lanyard to tie my heated tube in a fleece cover to the headboard. It keeps it out of the way and prevents the mask from being dragged off my face, or the machine to the floor. In fact my machine is in a drawer in the table by the bet with the tube and power led out the back through a 2-inch hole. Keeps things very quiet and neat.

Make sure the SD card is in the machine during therapy, and go have a cup of coffee while the machine cools down and writes the data. It will be there.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip on the water. Duly noted. 

I just got the machine and tonight will be my first night. I haven’t even tried using the machine or anything because I need to do some stuff but I tried on the F20 full face mask and the first thing I noticed is it really pinched in my nose. It’s the large size and it doesn’t get any bigger so either I’m wearing it wrong which is enormously possible or this mask isn’t for me :/
Post Reply Post Reply
The larger the mask, the more difficult the fit. If you can 't even get started with it, it's the wrong mask. How certain are you that a full face mask is what you need?

Here is the mask primer wiki. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m a mouth breather so figured it was best to start with a full face mask. I’m fine with whatever mask works. I don’t have a preference.

Well this isn’t a good start haha. :/
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I may have been wearing it a little improperly because I made it feel a bit better, that said, perhaps there’s a better mask for me out there. It’s good enough that I think I can wear it tonight though.

I hope the auto set uses a standard SD card and not the mini thing because that’s all I could find. How big are these files? Like a megabyte? Because I’m going a bit overkill with the size of this SD card lol.

I’m walking my dog before bed and I’m super excited to try this thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you guys give me your opinion on EPR? I was watching a video about what all the options were so I could change my pressure and what not and the guy in the video suggested turning off EPR after a month of owning your machine because it might cause central apnea’s? Now I have anxiety that this machine is doing something weird to me while I sleep haha.

Appreciate all the help. Minutes away from giving this a go!
Post Reply Post Reply
The video you watched is garbage. EPR has very real, therapeutic applications, and is very beneficial for comfort. In some individuals, clusters of CA events can be a consequence of the bilevel pressure, and when that happens, we deal with that. In MOST cases, there is a direct relationship of the use of EPR with the reduction of flow limitations and consequently RERA and Hypopnea. The use of EPR stabilizes the changes in pressure in the Autoset and Vauto because both of those units are designed to prevent events by responding to flow limitation as a precursor of more serious events. An individual using EPR of 3 may see their pressure vary by 2-3 cm from the setting to the 95% pressure which is ideal! That same person without EPR may see wide swings of pressure over 7 to 10 cm as flow limitations will be higher. EPR can improve tidal volume as it actually works identically to pressure support in a bilevel to do part of the work of respiration, taking some of the "work" off of the chest and abdominal muscles for inspiratory effort. You need to look at EPR as exactly the same thing as pressure support (the difference between inhale and exhale pressure) in a bilevel machine. Clearly, your video idiot would not look very intelligent advising a person using bilevel, to turn off pressure support, UNLESS that person experienced central apnea. So that's my rebuttal to internet garbage. I'm glad you asked.

To assume you need a full face mask because you have a history of mouth breathing is a similar fallacy. It's natural to breathe nasally and preferred when it is possible. Most of us that experience chronic nasal congestion or have a restricted nasal anatomy have become accustomed to breathing through the mouth. We don't even think about it. But what if the air to our nose was lightly pressurized, overcoming that congestion or restriction? Suddenly nasal breathing is not only possible, but more comfortable, and the challenge becomes excluding that pressure from our mouth using our tongue against the roof of the mouth. Once that is accomplished, we breathe as nature intended, but we've never been able. Some people never are able to learn to exclude that pressure from the mouth, but most can, and as a result use the smallest, lightest masks, and are able to sleep better, with fewer leaks, great comfort, and event talk or sip water without removing the mask. So you don't necessarily have to look or sound like Darth Vader based on an erroneous assumption. You simply won't know until you try. My suggestion is what I use, the Resmed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillows mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I can tell you know more than that guy so I will follow your advice.

Sadly, my first night of CPAP did not go well. It wasn’t really a night so much as I think 16 minutes. I did have an SD card in there but my laptop doesn’t have a port so need to buy some kind of attachment I guess for future use. That said, does it even record the data for 16 minutes of semi-awake semi-sleep use? But I’ll describe what happened.

As I said, I tried CPAP nine years ago. I remembered a very loud machine and the sound of gushing air no matter what. Perhaps that’s why it failed for me haha.

My settings were 6 - 20 which I dialed back from 8 - 20 after a few minutes of fiddling where I felt the “pressure” when I was breathing was too weird at 8 and 6 felt more comfortable. I had the EPR set to 3. I turned ramp off.

Immediately upon turning it on, I was a little disconcerted by the feeling of the mask expanding and contacting against my face as I breathed in and out. Just felt weird. More importantly, I can’t describe it but it felt like I wasn’t in control of my breath, like I had to actively think about breathing in and out. At this point I am seconds from falling asleep but my brain kept me up I think for like 15 minutes as I tried to get more comfortable with this new situation.

I guess I fall asleep and boom, all of the sudden I’m up and ripping the mask off my face because I was being strangled or starved for oxygen. I think I remember looking over at the machine when I turned it off and saw 16 minutes or so. It wasn’t even a question that I would try again as I was so out of it and tired it was like if I put that thing back on, I’m going to die. So that was that!

I have generalized anxiety and I think when I get really tired right before sleep I kind of have weird thoughts and I remember thinking I’d gave myself a stroke and had a bubble in my brain and my left leg was asleep and all these things and then I fell asleep. I woke up with a headache so hopefully that wasn’t real lol. No but I’m sure it was just a result of the poor sleep.

I’ll see if I can find an SD card reader if the data of this event is there or of value. Otherwise, I’d appreciate your thoughts. Based on what you say, I’ll definitely think about your nasal pillow advice.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,058 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,196 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,572 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 531 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.