Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the forum
Cool 
New to the forum
Hello all.

2012. I did a sleep study and recorded an AHI of 111, was told I have apnea. (No kidding!) Ended up getting the Respironics System One DS750 BIPAP Auto Machine. Fast fwd a year 2013, and I quit smoking, loose 60lbs. Before that I was using the machine, although sparingly, I could fall asleep with it, but after 4 hours (almost like clock work) I would wake up, unable to go back to sleep with the mask on (nasal mask). After losing the weight. wife said I wasn't really snoring w/o the mask, so I got rid of that dang thing (really hated it), sold it to an online company. Skip ahead a bit more, lo and behold the snoring has come back. Tried all kinds of things, noth9ing has worked. so, I acquiesced, told the wife she was right and went and did another sleep study. Got back from it this morning, they had me use the nasal pillow mask, which I think I like, nostrils are a tad sore this morning. They also said they were able to stabilize me with a set pressure.(10 I think he said) My previous study I did not even do the whole night, could not do it, might be with they gave me a bipap? I dunno.

So now going to wait for the prescription from the doc. Guy at the sleep lab suggested the Airsense 10. I have not checked with my insurance, but I do no think they are going to spring for another machine, so I will prob be buying a used one. Where do you recommend I look for a good used one? Leaning towards secondwind(that's who I sold my old one to).

Going to try harder to make this work this time. I like that I can track and adjust my pressure using 3rd party software. Resscan or sleepyhead I guess? Thanks for taking the time to read.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to the forum
G'day Murf, welcome to Apnea Board.

Congratulations on the weight loss and quitting smoking - that's a couple of big steps in the right direction. (I wish I could lose a few more kilos). Unfortunately, sleep apnea doesn't seem to go away, and you had a pretty severe case to start with. So it's not surprising you still need a machine.

If you can't get insurance to cover it, a used machine from a reputable dealer should be OK. The company you mentioned has a good reputation on this forum. I'd suggest you get an auto-titrating machine such as the Resmed S9 Autoset, Resmed Airsense Autoset, or the equivalent from Philips, Fisher & Paykel etc. The Airsense is Resmed's current model so is likely to be more expensive than the recently superseded S9. However the S9 was an excellent machine, and you might be able to get a new one for a good price.

The auto machines are superior to the constant pressure machines for several reasons, not least being that as your needs change over time the machine can adjust with you.

In terms of software, Resscan and Sleepyhead are both good. I use both, but I think Sleepyhead is easier to use and has a better presentation of the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Murf,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I have heard great things about Second Wind here on the board.
Here is a link to check out for which machines to buy and which machines to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
it's a very helpful guide.
Just make sure you get a fully data-capable machine, such as the Airsvence 10 AutoSet. You can use either ResScan or Sleepyhead, from what I understand, Sleepyhead is more user friendly.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and better luck this time around with CPAP, and really try to stick with it.
Edit: I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS! on losing weight and quitting smoking, good job.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The first machine you had was an auto BiPAP with separate inhalation and exhale pressures. It will be interesting to see if your prescription will be for CPAP (single pressure), auto CPAP (auto-adjusting CPAP), or Bilevel.

Lots of people give up on their machines, and Craigslist is where most of them try to do it. Keep an eye out, but be sure you know something about the different models and what they do. The Resmed Airfit P10 mask is a great option. I'm sure your insurance will pay for that. Any of the online suppliers are generally less expensive than going through a durable medical equipment supplier and their respiratory therapist. I purchased both an AutoCPAP (DS560) and Auto BiPAP (DS760) through craigslist, and got my mask from Supplier #1 and was reimbursed by insurance at 60%.

When looking at machines, you will mainly choose from Resmed and Respironics, especially in the used market. For Resmed, the Airsense 10 Autoset recently replaced the S9 Autoset, and the S9 is a perfectly good auto CPAP machine to buy. For Philips Respironics the equivalent is the PR System One 60 Series Auto model 560. The PRS1 BiPAP and Auto BiPAP are models 660 and 760 respectively. Resmed bilevel, you will probably need to get the older S9 VPAP S or Auto, rather than the newer Aircurve 10.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the welcome and appreciate the replies. Yeah wil wait and see what the Rx is for. I stil ahve my older nasal mask and the sleep lab sent me home with the nasal pilows one I used last night. A swift Ex I think.

When I contact the ins about a machine I will ask about the masks as well. Cost is def a factor, So I may end up going with the S9, will know better when I get Rx and am able to talk talk to BCBS to see what options, if any, I have this time around.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Swift FX is a fine mask, and I used it until last December when I upgraded to the Airfit P10. If you get tired of the loud stream of air that comes out of the FX and hits your body, or worse, your wife, then you'll be glad to know the solution is the Airfit P10.

Good luck on getting the machine sorted, and feel free to ask any questions along the way.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are shopping, I highly recommend APAP over CPAP, for a number of really good reasons. Every APAP can operate as a CPAP, but no CPAP can operate as an APAP. You might end up doing best on straight pressure, but there is a good chance that auto is better for you, and APAP provides both options. The APAP can also better tell you what your pressure should actually be, as it titrates naturally.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 269 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 188 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,583 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,703 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.